The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old September 29, 2011, 12:48 AM   #1
whitesmile

Is it ok for my pregnant girlfriend to still shoot?

So at 1:20 AM 9/27/2011 I found out my girlfriend is 6 to 7 weeks pregnant so I'm going to be a father... I'm pretty excited and so is she, but my girlfriend asked me a question that I'm really not sure about the answer to;

Is it OK for pregnant women to still use this kind of and if so, how late into the pregnancy? (yes, she's that awesome to wonder if she's still going to be able to shoot the Glock lol) I figured that there are enough guys and females on here that at least a few people should have some experience with this subject. She (and I) would appreciate any advice and / or wisdom that anyone can give.

Thank you in advance and as always,
Have fun and stay safe!

Last edited by Mike Irwin; October 1, 2011 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Remove spam link
Old September 29, 2011, 12:51 AM   #2
MLeake

You should do a search for pregnant shooting hunting etc, as there has been at least one fairly recent thread that went into some detail about this topic.

Most of us will say no, she should not shoot while pregnant. Primary reasons are:

1) Potential lead exposure is bad for the fetus.

2) Definite loud sound exposure is bad for the fetus. (Amneotic fluid is not a good sound suppressor.)

Most ob/gyn's that responded seemed to feel it would be a bad idea.

Some people will disagree. I noted that none in the previous thread who thought it was ok were doctors.

Check for yourself.

Good luck,

M

Edit: Good luck with the baby, not just the search. And congratulations.

Edit 2: I ran the search function for "pregnant shoot" and found the recent thread I was talking about: http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...pregnant+shoot

Last edited by MLeake; September 29, 2011 at 12:56 AM.
Old September 29, 2011, 01:04 AM   #3
Eghad

She really needs to consult with her Doctor on this. Grats on the baby. This is probably one of those things left to a professional and not an Internet Forum. I know that there are some noise regulations for work areas for pregnant women. Not to mention exposure to lead. Like I said these hazards should be addressed to a medical doctor. You probably don't want to clean any firearms around her either.

NRA Life Member

Last edited by Eghad; September 29, 2011 at 01:13 AM.
Old September 29, 2011, 01:16 AM   #4
PunchinPaper

Congrats on the new addition!!
My wife and I just went through the same situation.
She loves to shoot and range time is one of the hobbies we share together.
I'm not 100% sure weather or not its ok to do, we had alot of mixed responses to the same question your asking. So she sat it out...last weekend was her first time back at the range. It didn't take her long to get back to her usuall groups at the 25yrd line.
Old September 29, 2011, 01:16 AM   #5
BarryLee

Yes, ask the Doctor, but lead is a major issue for children.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old September 29, 2011, 01:44 AM   #6
Alaska444

We had this discussion previously on TFL. There are more issues than lead exposure. Take a look at this prior thread and tell your girlfriend to not worry about guns till after the baby is happy and healthy and doing well after the boy/girl is born. I would definitely NOT let my wife shoot while pregnant and as a doctor I would not approve shooting for any pregnant patients.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450587
Old September 29, 2011, 06:28 AM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Previous such discussions have all concluded the answer is "No." And many of those discussions have included doctors.
Old September 29, 2011, 07:12 AM   #8
GM2

Quote:
We had this discussion previously on TFL. There are more issues than lead exposure. Take a look at this prior thread and tell your girlfriend to not worry about guns till after the baby is happy and healthy and doing well after the boy/girl is born. I would definitely NOT let my wife shoot while pregnant and as a doctor I would not approve shooting for any pregnant patients.
Sage Advise indeed and enough said!!
Old September 29, 2011, 11:20 AM   #9
Boatme98

There are Dr's who have gone to both sides of this. Personally, I don't think the pressure waves on the amniotic fluid can help a fetus at all. Lead and heavy metal factors aside, I think I'd stay far away from a range during pregnancy.
Old September 29, 2011, 11:24 AM   #10
brickeyee

Part of the problem is that there is not any good data, and no way to obtain the data.

It would be unethical to subject pregnant women to something that even MIGHT harm their fetus.
Old September 29, 2011, 11:43 AM   #11
zfk55

There's a ton of data. Follow Alaska 444's link or google it.

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'
Old September 29, 2011, 11:50 AM   #12
Mike Irwin
Staff

Even a small amount of organic lead can be absolutely devastating to a developing child.

Shooting ranges are loaded with organic lead, primarily from the primers.

There are lead-free primers on the market, but as others have said, the sound and pressure pulse from shooting might not be good for the child.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 29, 2011, 12:41 PM   #13
overkill0084

Should be fine...If it's silent and lead free. AirSoft and BBs come to mind.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old September 29, 2011, 01:09 PM   #14
RPGamingGirl

I would put it in the category of caffeine: not necessarily life-threatening, but certainly not healthy. In other words, if she needs to shoot something dangerous during gestation, it's nothing to panic over, but as a hobby it should certainly be avoided.

There are lots of things that get sacrificed during pregnancy, but lucky for her, women tend to be good shots naturally, so she'll be back in practice really quick afterwards.

Also: Congrats!!!
Old September 29, 2011, 01:15 PM   #15
WVsig

Quote:
I would put it in the category of caffeine: not necessarily life-threatening, but certainly not healthy. In other words, if she needs to shoot something dangerous during gestation, it's nothing to panic over, but as a hobby it should certainly be avoided.
IMHO it is way more dangerous than caffeine. Especially if you are shooting indoors.

As others have pointed out even a small amount of lead exposure can lead to serious health issues for a fetus or developing child and that does not even take into account the damage to its developing ears.

Would you subject yourself to toxic levels of lead or shoot without any hearing protection?
Old September 29, 2011, 01:29 PM   #16
C0untZer0

I would not want to be inside your girlfriend's womb while she's at a range and firing...

Lead is not so good for an adult but just a little lead goes a long long way toward screwing up an embryonic brain.

And your child is going to have a rough time overcoming flinch when he or she finally gets a gun in his or her hands...
Old September 29, 2011, 01:35 PM   #17
Stressfire

From the link provided by OP, I think he is referring to Airsoft.

In that case, no, it's plastic - that should be fine, provided she is not getting shot with it.

As far as actual firearms, I would say that between the noise and the lead, its a bad idea. But best to consult a professional.

Congrats, by the way

Last edited by Stressfire; September 29, 2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old September 29, 2011, 01:48 PM   #18
RPGamingGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVsig
MHO it is way more dangerous than caffeine. Especially if you are shooting indoors.

As others have pointed out even a small amount of lead exposure can lead to serious health issues for a fetus or developing child and that does not even take into account the damage to its developing ears.

Would you subject yourself to toxic levels of lead or shoot without any hearing protection?
I'm just saying, consider the risk vs benefit. Of course lead is more dangerous than caffeine. But if it's between getting assaulted, mauled by a wild animal, etc. or possibly harming a fetus with a little lead and sonic pressure, well, i don't think many people would tell her not to shoot in that situation. I just don't want a girl beating herself up over hearing protection later if she feels her life (and her child's) is threatened. Not a likely scenario anyway, but i thought it was worth mentioning. Sometimes message board topics spiral into extreme territory, so i wanted to throw it out there early.
Old September 29, 2011, 01:51 PM   #19
RPGamingGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stressfire
From the link provided by OP, I think he is referring to Airsoft.

In that case, no, it's plastic - that should be fine, provided she is not getting shot with it.
Doh. Thanks; guess that information kind of renders irrelevant many of the points made thusfar, lol. I fully admit ignorance on this one; didn't know what Airsoft was.
Old September 29, 2011, 01:53 PM   #20
Stressfire

Gotta read the fine print, took me a sec to realize too, so I edited.
Old September 29, 2011, 01:54 PM   #21
WVsig

Quote:
I'm just saying, consider the risk vs benefit. Of course lead is more dangerous than caffeine. But if it's between getting assaulted, mauled by a wild animal, etc. or possibly harming a fetus with a little lead and sonic pressure, well, i don't think many people would tell her not to shoot in that situation. I just don't want a girl beating herself up over hearing protection later if she feels her life (and her child's) is threatened. Not a likely scenario anyway, but i thought it was worth mentioning. Sometimes message board topics spiral into extreme territory, so i wanted to throw it out there early.
Of course no one is saying for a woman not to defend herself if the situtation calls for it but I took the OPs post to be refering to recreational target shooting. He also posted a pick of an airsoft rifle which IMHO would be fine.
Old September 29, 2011, 02:15 PM   #22
RPGamingGirl

There are women out there who won't wear a seatbelt while pregnant because it might 'squish' the baby. So you can't really write anything off as obvious.
Old September 29, 2011, 03:48 PM   #23
brickeyee

Quote:
There's a ton of data. Follow Alaska 444's link or google it.
No there is NOT a "ton of data."

Fomr the first hot on Google

"Shooting While Pregnant: Dangerous or Not?
By Elizabeth Kennedy and Fabrice Czarnecki, M.D.

Unfortunately, there are no definitive studies that clearly answerthis question.

http://iweb.tntech.edu/cpardue/pregnant.html

There are no actual experiments that meet even the lowest standard of medicine.

Anyone who even tried to run such a test would never get funding or sponsorship.

The chance of concluding from actual fetal damage that shooting while pregnant is a horrible ethics problem.

Some questions are just to risky to try and answer empirically.
Old September 29, 2011, 04:11 PM   #24
hardworker

Is it bad for the baby? Probably
Is it good for it? Definitely not.
Old September 29, 2011, 04:18 PM   #25
BeachHead

I personally wouldn't risk it. If anything were to retard prenatal development, you, your girlfriend, and your child will have to live with the consequences for the rest of your lives.

There's just too much at stake. I'm not a medical professional, but I'd advise against your girl participating in any shooting activities until she no longer has to pump or breastfeed. I know it's a long wait, but I'm sure you wouldn't want to jeopardize your child's health, right?

You might always wanna shower after each range trip before spending time with her.
Closed Thread