The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 20, 2001, 02:16 AM   #1
Casey

Hello all.

I had two Dillon SDB's, but sold one just the other day (to a friend that I also sold a Baer Premier II - it's amazing the length you'll go through to get someone shooting in competition!). I sold it, as I realized that the only round I was shooting that I could reload on a SDB was 45 ACP. Now, about 75% of my pistol shooting is with a 45, but it is irritating that Dillon doesn't make SDB dies for 9x23 Win or 9x18 Mak, which are the only other two pistol calibers I shoot.

I was loading my 9x23 Win with some 9x19 dies, but it didn't work really well so I shifted it back over to my Rock Chucker. This is not a lot of fun, reloading pistol rounds with a single stage, although I must admit the old RCBS does still produce great ammo.

As I understand the Dillon XL 650, it allows you to use any standard loading die set to load your ammo. I have never seen one, so I have no idea other than pictures. My rifle sets are two die and my pistol die sets are three dies.

I have several questions.

Do you buy different heads to mount them on?
Is it an adjustment that you make?
Is there any reason not to use my RCBS dies and to buy Dillons die sets?
How do the RCBS dies allow you to insert powder?

Inquiring minds (or at least mine) want to know.

Thanks for any information you can give. If I can use my RCBS dies, I can take the money I got from the SDB and put some more with it and get me one.

Casey

"To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men."
Abraham Lincoln
Old February 20, 2001, 06:30 AM   #2
johnnybravo

1. I would obtain a tool head for each caliber, just so I wouldn't be adjusting dies all the time.

2.Once you adjust your dies on a tool head, you can leave them there with no further adjustments.

3.You can use any standard size die, 7/8 x 14 thread, on the dillon. However, some brands of dies may be a little shorter, so you'll need to put the locknut BENEATH the tool head. (This does work, a buddy of mine did this to his Lee brand dies on his 650).

4.This is where I would obtain a Dillon powder die and caliber specific insert (funnel) for each tool head, and use a Dillon powder dispenser.
However, Dillon makes a powder die for their AT 500 press. If you obtain this particular die and an adapter, you can use a non-Dillon powder dispenser on your press. However, if you went this route, you would probably have to actuate the dispenser by hand.
Old February 20, 2001, 10:32 AM   #3
Hutch

I've got an XL650

JohnnyB has it nailed. Dillon sells a cheap VHS tape on the operation of the 650, and it clears up a lot of questions. They sell the tool heads in 3 packs and singles. BTW, the only problems I have with the finished product are some 9x19's that don't chamber well, and those are the only Dillon dies I have!