The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 11, 2012, 09:43 AM   #1
Dennis6474

Substitute primers

I found my primer inventory is out of balance:>) I have way more large rifle primers than large pistol primers. But when I run out of one I would like to be able to use another.

Which primers can be substituted for which? Would I have to work up a new load or stay with the original one? I don't substitute magnum for standard but are there other substitutions that can be made?
Old March 11, 2012, 09:56 AM   #2
kraigwy

NORMALLY, Rifle primers have a harder cup then pistol primers. So you may get pierced primers when using pistol primers in a rifle, and failure to fires using rifle primers in a pistol.

Also I think there is a difference in the mixture, more for the rifle needed to get the larger powder supply to burn properly.

That's the reason they make different primers.

Sure you may get them to work, but chance are they wont work properly.

Even the same type primers aren't the same. Meaning all Small Rifle for an example aren't the same.

An example: When I first got my 204 Ruger I started loading using the "accuracy" load listed in the Sierra manual. Did everything by the book. The accuracy sucked and velocity wasn't near what it was suppose to be.

I switch from Federal Match primers to CCI Standard primers and got the velocity where it was suppose to be, and accuracy improved greatly.

On the other hand Federal Match primers work much better the CCI in my 223 High Power match loads.

With pistol primers, I don't use rifle primers at all, but I can't shoot good enough with a pistol to tell the difference between one brand of pistol primers over another.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 11, 2012, 10:01 AM   #3
beex215

large rifle primers are taller so, using them for pistol will stick out some. they wont go off every time. ive tried.

http://www.youtube.com/user/beehasagun1?feature=mhee
Old March 11, 2012, 10:06 AM   #4
243winxb

No substitutions
Old March 11, 2012, 10:22 AM   #5
m&p45acp10+1

I have just taken the word of experinced reloaders that large rifle will not work in large pistol.

Though I have used tens of thousands of small rifle primers in small pistol loads. In fact I do not buy small pistol primers anylonger. They work just the same. With my shooting I can not tell a differance in groups. I do not own a chrono so I could not tell you the velocity differance. (Note none of my pistol loads are anywhere near max. Most are middle of the road. Some are low end of middle of the road. All go bang every time.)
Old March 11, 2012, 12:57 PM   #6
Dennis6474

Thanks for the info. I guess that I will just have to shoot more rifle for a while. I figured that there would be problems, that is why they make different primers.