The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 16, 2010, 05:42 PM   #26
Doc Hoy

MC,

Welcome to the forum. CVA import revolvers were once made by ASM (at least some models were.) Deer Creek Products in Waldron Indiana and VTI Gun Parts (on the web) are experts and might be able to answer the question. I learned on Friday that Taylors is getting out of the ASM support business. My guess is that it is too frustrating with the scarcety of parts. And Dixie Guns Works' approach is to substitute present day manufacture parts such as Uberti where that is possible.

I tried a cylinder swap on an 1851 Navy in .36 and found that the diameter of the ratchet ring at the back of the cylinder was just a little oversize for my frame. This prevented the cylinder from seating properly. The ratchets actually came to rest on the recoil ring. I did not try turning the ratchet ring down with a lathe, but that is what would be needed in my case. That attempt was using a Navy Arms steel frame with a cylinder of unknown manufacture.
Old March 13, 2015, 04:58 AM   #27
jmagda41

CVA 1861 "Navy" Colt Nipple Size

Sorry, but I can't find a conclusive answer as to what size nipples to shop for or where to find them.

I have a CVA 1861 Navy Colt, which I understand is actually an 1860 Army Colt (.44 cal). The bottom of the frame has "5027" stamped into it, if that helps.

I ordered the only blue nipples Cabela had online (Piettas), but they are too large in diameter in the threads. Mine measure, 5mm exactly, when I use calipers on the outside of the threads to measure them.

I've seen a lot of mention of 5.5 and 6 1/2, and don't know what to shop for. I can't keep ordering the wrong sizes and sending them back because they always keep part of the cost for shipping or restocking or something.

Can anyone please help?
Old March 13, 2015, 12:14 PM   #28
wogpotter

Have you checked Track of the wolf?
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/index.aspx
If you contact them they may know exactly what you want & they carry a huge selection. Failing that I know of one shooter who mailed them a nipple & they matched it for him. (Contact them first & deal with a specific salesperson if you go that route.)

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”