The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old June 22, 2011, 06:13 PM   #1
irish52084

Lots of ?'s for shooting revolver and semi's

First off, how common is it for amateur/newbie guys to shoot both a revolver and a semi in 1 competition?

Second, are there any tips or advice for managing the transition between the 2? Say I'm shooting my CZ on one stage and then need to go shoot a stage with my revolver and back and forth, how much of a detriment is that transition? Will I run into any issues, rules wise or maybe event wise that would prevent me from shooting both in the same match?

Finally, what about other competitions besides IDPA, like USPSA? Is there any advantage to a new competitor to shoot in multiple organizations, or should I just focus on one at a time?

I'm going to get involved in IDPA locally and would like to get a revolver to shoot along side my CZ. I'm leaning towards IDPA because it's more concealed carry oriented and will hopefully help keep my initial costs for gear and ammo down, especially since I don't reload for pistols at the moment.
Old June 22, 2011, 11:35 PM   #2
kraigwy

You might think about ICORE

INTERNATIONAL CONFEDERATION OF REVOLVER ENTHUSIAST

Best sport out there for wheel guns.

http://www.icore.org/
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old June 23, 2011, 07:29 AM   #3
Don P

First off, how common is it for amateur/newbie guys to shoot both a revolver and a semi in 1 competition?

Quote:
Second, are there any tips or advice for managing the transition between the 2? Say I'm shooting my CZ on one stage and then need to go shoot a stage with my revolver and back and forth, how much of a detriment is that transition? Will I run into any issues, rules wise or maybe event wise that would prevent me from shooting both in the same match?

Finally, what about other competitions besides IDPA, like USPSA? Is there any advantage to a new competitor to shoot in multiple organizations, or should I just focus on one at a time?

I'm going to get involved in IDPA locally and would like to get a revolver to shoot along side my CZ. I'm leaning towards IDPA because it's more concealed carry oriented and will hopefully help keep my initial costs for gear and ammo down, especially since I don't reload for pistols at the moment.
The only competition shooting that will allow multiple guns is Steel Challenge.
IDPA and USPSA do not allow multiple guns in the same match unless you are at, and shooting the classifiers. If your handgun should fail during a match you can use a backup gun of the same caliber and type of function. Different model Glock or a Beretta 92 and a PX4 both Berettas DA/SA and of the same caliber. You could look at the rule books here, www.idpa.com and www.uspsa.org and www.steelchallenge.com
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old June 23, 2011, 10:02 AM   #4
irish52084

Well, damn! That's a bummer, I really would like to shoot both. I can't figure out why it's not allowed. Time constraints maybe?

I'll look into finding some other sort of match for revolver or maybe can find 2 IDPA events a month and shoot revolver in one and semi in the other.
Old June 23, 2011, 12:54 PM   #5
MrBorland

Quote:
Is there any advantage to a new competitor to shoot in multiple organizations, or should I just focus on one at a time?
If you're new to competitive shooting, I'd recommend focusing on one platform at a time, since there's a lot you'll need to learn which has little to do with the gun you're shooting. Sticking with a revolver or semi-auto at first will help you get through this curve faster & better, IMO. It's cheaper, too. Pick the one you shoot best, then start practicing & learning.