The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 4, 2008, 06:04 AM   #1
sschopfer

Mini 14 Problem

I own an older Mini 14, bought in the 70's, which is stainless steel. It was never a great performer even with a 3-9 scope. Recently, I have spent some time and effort to add the Tapco stock conversion, an OETech 512 holographic sight, and the Streamligt TRL2 light and laser combination. Looks great with a 40 round mag, but I am having some problems with the cycling of the action. More often than I feel comfortable with, the bolt does not close all of the way. It gets hung up or binds about 1/2 inch from completly closing. Then when you pull the trigger, it does not fire since it is not making contact with the round in the chamber. If I cycle the action, it picks up the next round in the mag and trys to chamber it. But it cant't since the live round in the chamber has not ejected yet.

I've tried various ammo with the same results. I spent a ridiculous amount of money on two 20 rounds mags that were factory Ruger...same results.

Now I'm thinking I will put the old wooden stock back on and see if the problem is the Tapco stock binding some place.

I can hear metal on metal contact when I cycle the action slowly. When I cycle it hard manually, it slams past the area where it binds up.
Old August 4, 2008, 12:31 PM   #2
doug66

If it won't run in its original condition, then send it in to Ruger. I bought my Mini 20 some years ago used. Here awhile back it started to act up. Wouldn't cycle. I field stripped it, bought some factory ammo, tried OEM mag no go.
Sent it to Connecticut for about a month, she's good as new. They replaced bolt, gas block and piston. All it cost me was shipping. Ruger is a class act.
Old August 7, 2008, 08:49 AM   #3
detrod

Mini-14

YEP ! Doug66 is right.... send it back.
Old August 7, 2008, 09:47 AM   #4
sschopfer

Thanks Guys,

As soon as I have a free minute or two, I will put the old stock on and fire a few clips.

If I still have problems, I will contact Ruger.
Old August 9, 2008, 08:44 AM   #5
Tom2

Lube problem? Weak return spring? High round count? Possibly something is just worn out from use. Maybe it is time to trade in for one of the newest ones that are supposedly more accurate due to Ruger finally setting up and taking notice of aftermarket accurizing work on them. And you could presumably keep your accessories, like mags? I am assuming they all take the same mags.