The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 15, 2005, 10:15 AM   #1
Kalashnikov

Question about 1858 remington

I have an 1858 remington .44 revolver. I have had it for about a year and love it. The only problem is that I used to fire light loads out of it (about 20 grains) and never added any filler (i.e. cornmeal, oatmeal, etc...). My fear is that I might have damaged the cylinder to revolver by causing there to be an airgap inbetween to powder and the ball and thus buldging the cylinder somewhat and making it unsafe to shoot. I looked inside each of the cylinders and they seeeem to be okay, but I can't just trust my naked eye to see any buldge because it might be too small to just see. I still shoot these loads now, but I add filler inbetween the powder and ball. So my question is is that in your opinions, do you think that it would be a good idea to buy a new cylinder, as my current one might be unsafe to shoot, or would my current one still be safe?? I am kind of paranoid about saftey and it annoys me sometimes but I guess it's better safe than sorry. Thank you.
Old August 16, 2005, 04:39 PM   #2
Gatofeo

If you have a micrometer, you can measure the outside diameter of the cylinder at various points, and this may reveal a slight bulge.
Or you may measure the interior of the cleaned chambers with the same micrometer, if it reaches down far enough, to find any bulge.
A "field expedient" method is to seat an oversized ball into the clean chamber, without any powder or filler. Seat is very slowly and if you suddenly feel the ball lurch downward, that may be reveal a bulge.
But I'd suggest you try the micrometer method first. A good gunsmith could meausure it for you, for a few bucks, to give you piece of mind.
Frankly, if you can't see or feel the bulge there is every possibility that none exists. The Remington 58 has some meat between the chambers, unlike the thinner-walled Colt, and it probably shrugged off your negligence.
Probably.
But nothing is an absolute.
You're learned a good lesson. Never, ever seat a ball over so little powder that the powder is not firmly compressed.
If you can't get good compression, use a filler such as corn meal or felt wads. Heck, years ago I read of one guy who used grass seed as a filler! I don't suggest Cream of Wheat, as it does not compress and you have to add just the right amount of filler. Corn meal is preferred because it will compress and is more forgiving if you add too much.
Don't know about grass seed ...
Old August 16, 2005, 09:11 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

I love the grass seed bit! Shoot your pistol and beautify the range at the same time!

Jim
Old August 17, 2005, 11:54 PM   #4
skit

hey kalashnikof, i have a cimmaron 58 remington that i never load with less than 40 grains of 3f or triple 7, never had a hitch, i really doubt that you have hurt your revolver in any way. more is better. i think?
Old August 18, 2005, 12:31 AM   #5
skit

oh yes , i almost forgot, my revolver is always loaded, sometimes up to 6 or 7 months, never had a misfire, but i am very careful about loading it.