The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old July 12, 2001, 07:46 PM   #1
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Suggestions for FS Forums

1. Auto-expire feature. This could either be set for x (30?) days after post creation, or after last post in thread.

2. Requests that notification of items placed on auction (Gunbroker, Auction Arms, etc) be made in other forums: gear, handguns, rifle, shotgun, etc. Such threads placed in FS forums to be moved.

3. Creation of a policy on commercial posters. I know this is problematic, but memory is memory. This is Rich's call, but I would be sad if I felt commercial entities were taking advantage of Rich's generosity.

4. If it's possible without tinkering too much with the database, I believe giving the poster threadlock ability would help everyone, admins, members, the system. Everyone.

5. I'm not too certain how the system retains all its info, but I believe auto purging old FS threads after some suitable (6 month?) period would help keep the system happy. A several month retaining period would allow potential buyers and sellers to search for recent prices on their item(s), but after 6 months, that info will be of little use.

Regards,

John
Old July 12, 2001, 09:23 PM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Thanks Spectre....and thanks for cleaning up those forums. (Some of you have asked who "Staff" is....for the last few days, it's been Spectre.)

1) Auto-Expire: Not possible. Have passed the suggestion on to the vB Developers, though.
2) Notification Requests: Unclear to me
3) Commercial Posters: There is no hard and fast policy. We expect commmon sense/courtesy to prevail
4) Threadlock: Not possible on an individual Forum Basis
5) Auto purging....unnecessary in vB as the database size problems are no longer an issue. Besides, the historical info is worthwhile to some.
Rich
Old July 13, 2001, 11:57 PM   #3
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Glad to help a little, Rich.

Item #2: some folks are placing links to ongoing online auctions in the FS forums.
Old July 14, 2001, 06:35 AM   #4
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

Purging old FS posts isn't a good idea. Members, like myself, often do a search on old FS posts ascertain the going rate for certain items, firearms, etc.
Old July 14, 2001, 11:34 AM   #5
Rich Lucibella
Staff

As concerns #2, we've always taken these on a case by case basis. If it's a regular Member who contributes, I'd let it go. If it's someone who registers primarily to hawk goods/auctions, I think all would call it spam.
Rich