The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 18, 2012, 05:46 PM   #1
Strafer Gott

556 Classic rockin,or don't come knockin?

Never a great one for resisting temptation, I'm looking at getting the 556 next.
I would love to hear from owners past and present, anecdotes from your buddy, online data, whatever. Would you now, or have you ever bought or shot a Sig 556 classic. How does it stack up compared to other AR's, the works. Please and thank you!
Old October 18, 2012, 06:15 PM   #2
Crow Hunter

I do not own one.

But I wanted one pretty bad when they came out. I really didn't like where they positioned the magazine release and I didn't like the weight and at the time I was looking at them the front handguards were junk and no folding stock.

Then I did research.

It is fine for a fun gun, but there have been WAY too many examples of very poor quality control and failures for me to trust them for "serious" use.

Maybe they have gotten better.

Good luck.
Old October 19, 2012, 05:02 PM   #3
Destructo6

I have one of the early ones, with the M4 style stock and fishgill handguards.

The only problem I've had with it is a small tear in the rubber dust lips (through which the charging handle cycles). Sig replaced it and included a straight charging handle in the process.

Otherwise, it has been accurate and 100% reliable.

It's a little more front-heavy than most ARs, but not unmanageable.

Since new, I've changed out the buttstock for a VLTOR and replaced the fishgills for "Swiss style" 550 handguards, and installed several sight setups. I also installed a Magpul MOE trigger guard, which required enlarging the front hole (no turning back now).

Overall, it's been a pleasure to own and use.

Keep all of them clean.
Old October 21, 2012, 12:23 AM   #4
halfcocked

I have a classic swat and really like it since it's something different than an AR and has been reliable. Recoil is very mild, even less than an AR. It's more of a push and no spoing in the stock.

It does have a few issues/draw backs, but most can be cured with $. It is a bit front heavy and clunky, especially with the aluminum quad rail. I put a forward pistol grip on mine to improve handling, especially since the quad rail forend is so fat when the rail covers are installed. I didn't like the factory sliding folding stock since it was very rattly with a lot of play in it. I bought an aluminum folding AR stock adapter and put a Magpul CTR stock on it. The rear diopter site had a lot of play but I cured that with some duct tape on the rail to tighten it up. I have since removed it to put a mini ACOG on it. The original SIG mags were crap and made the thing jam constantly, but I haven't had an issue since using GI mags.

Overall, if I had to choose only between an AR and the 556, I'd go with the AR since a bit more ergonomic, lighter and parts are more common. The 556 does make a nice addition to a collection and if it were the only thing available as a "go to" gun, I wouldn't feel undergunned.
Old October 22, 2012, 03:15 PM   #5
Strafer Gott

I put one on layaway. I really like the folder stock with adjustment, and the clean lines of the 550 forestock.
Old October 24, 2012, 08:01 AM   #6
Patriot86

Have fun!

If you ever want to put an M4 style stock on it you can get an adapter here

http://www.shop.doublediamondsupply....DSGADTM401.htm

they make VERY high quality products; you will not be sorry.
Old October 24, 2012, 11:08 AM   #7
Destructo6

Quote:
If you ever want to put an M4 style stock on it you can get an adapter here
If you ever want to do that, I'd swap you entire lowers, VLTOR buttstock and everything.

Keep all of them clean.
Old October 24, 2012, 11:25 AM   #8
Strafer Gott

New collection potential

But I like the classic folder, and sought it out. Now I'm wondering if I need a fish gill to keep it company!