The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 14, 2011, 04:01 PM   #1
polarbearfootball

Remington 887 Nitro Magnum or Benelli Supernova

I am looking into buying a new shotgun. I am stuck between the Remington 887 nitro magnum and the Benelli Supernova. Ive read alot about both guns and heard good things and bad things about both of them but still cant make up my mind. I mainly hunt for pheasent and duck so i want something that is fitting. And I already have a 870 express.

Last edited by polarbearfootball; November 15, 2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old November 14, 2011, 04:42 PM   #2
jmr40

Benelli. Or the 870, they make them in 3.5" also if that is why you are considering the 887.
Old November 15, 2011, 05:06 AM   #3
Rugerismisticness

The 887 is about the worst shotgun on the planet and even worse; it tried to copy the Nova. That said I prefer the supernova over the 870. The Supernova does reduce recoil with the Comfortech stock, the quality is amazing, chromed bore, steel (plastic overmold) reciever, stronger bolt lugs, and a mag cutoff.

I love my Nova, but I can't say the same for my 870 Supermag.
Old November 15, 2011, 01:17 PM   #4
LC9

Can you tell us why you think the REMINGTON 887 NITROMAG is the "wrost shotgun on the planet"?

My hunter/friend owns one and loves it.........so much more than his SUPERNOVA!

Personally, I don't like the way the SUPERNOVA fits me, but the NITROMAG is a very good "fit".
Old November 15, 2011, 02:27 PM   #5
jmr40

The 2" waterpipe for a barrel is a deal killer for me. Kinda looks like it was designed by the same guy who designed the Remington 710. If you want a Remington, but an 870. They are lighter, trimmer, better balanced and a proven design.

If you want a Benelli copy, buy the Benelli.
Old November 15, 2011, 10:30 PM   #6
nutty ned

I have an 887, 3" shells are all the bigger I'm willing to shoot.
Old November 17, 2011, 10:37 PM   #7
StuntManMike

Supernova all the way.
Old November 17, 2011, 10:48 PM   #8
Xfire68

I bought a 887 Tactical about a month ago and wish I had gotten a Mossy 590 or 870.

It does have some features that I like (The slide release and rail) but, I am more then a bit unhappy with it's overall function. Double feeds and less than smooth loading's are at the top of my dislikes.

I did not know what I was buying due to my lack of attention to details the day of purchase. I thought it was a new version of the 870 but, later when I got home realized it was not.

Does it shoot well? Sure it does. Is it accurate? Yep. Would I bet my life on it? HECK NO! I will be trading it in soon for a 870.
Old November 18, 2011, 05:02 AM   #9
Rugerismisticness

Rough and sluggish actions, bulk, parts breakages especially in the trigger unit, horribly done plastic overmold, more jams than the average shotgun (but I believe this is user error with the sluggish action), and lastly, it is around the same price as a Nova/Supernova which is a much much better option.

The 870 I have has been helped along a bit. It's a Supermag that had an amazingly rough action and horrible trigger. I turned it into a project gun and polished all the action parts and did a real fine trigger job. I do occasionally use it for skeet (26"bbl) just to keep sharp with a pump.

The Nova has a very fast action, good quality, the best features, and it's priced very close to the others. My only complaint is that mine is a 20ga, but it does come useful in some aspects. I use it for deer with slugs, it doesn't show any scratches.
Old November 18, 2011, 10:12 PM   #10
arizona98tj

Quote:
Ive read alot about both guns and heard good things and bad things about both of them but still cant make up my mind.
Just curious....what are these bad things you have heard about the SuperNova. Just curious as I've ran the heck out of one through a couple of 4 day shotgun courses without issue.
Old November 20, 2011, 12:01 PM   #11
polarbearfootball

ive just read and heard that it is cheaply made and that it rusts really easy. but the rust thing is probably because it was poorly taken care of