The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 16, 2008, 04:29 PM   #1
markcmiller

Using Perfect Powder measure w/powder through expanding die

I've been using the Lee autodisc system, but it doesn't have the capacity for larger rounds like .45-70, etc. I discovered that (in spite of Lee's statement that it doesn't work) the perfect powder measure can be threaded into the top of the powder through expanding die. Then, when using that station on my classic turret system, I can manually operate the perfect powder measure, dropping the powder through the die and into the brass. Does anyone know of why this shouldn't work?

Mark Miller
Old December 16, 2008, 05:23 PM   #2
CrustyFN

Sounds good to me. I would think the disk measure would load those no problem with the double disk kit.
Rusty
Old December 16, 2008, 09:05 PM   #3
markcmiller

Perfect Powder Measure

The largest double disk combo gives me around 45 grains of Reloader 7. Some of my .45-70 loads exceed that. That's why I went to the Perfect Powder measure--it allows larger loads. Also, I'm about to start loading Reloader 22 in my 6.5 Swedish. Loads for the 140gr bullets start at around 45 grains and go up, so I want to be able to accommodate that, too.
Old December 16, 2008, 09:12 PM   #4
NWPilgrim

I think Lee is just saying it doesn't work automatically. I seem to remember reading somewhere on their site (a FAQ?) that the PPM could be used on the CTP in manual mode.
Old December 17, 2008, 12:46 AM   #5
markcmiller

Thanks so much for the input. So far, it seems to work. That's why I was puzzled at Midway USA's explicit restriction. Even Lee customer service didn't have much to say...I guess they're afraid of getting sued if it doesn't work!
Old December 17, 2008, 06:23 PM   #6
TEDDY

lee powder

It would be nice if lee made a set up for larger loads.I think one could do it themselves if they had the tools to make some adapter better than the sheet metal.maybe a solid metal riser to take three disks or if lee made thicker disks.
enlarging the holes might not work.I just thought,there is a adjustable unit to do that.I have one I forgot about.I will have to check.
Old December 17, 2008, 06:30 PM   #7
That'll Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDY
I just thought,there is a adjustable unit to do that.I have one I forgot about.I will have to check.
Yeah, the Micrometer Adujstable Charge Bar for the auto disk.

I've had somewhat varied success using the charge bar. I've found that it works much better with ball type powder.
Old December 18, 2008, 03:08 AM   #8
NWPilgrim

One thing I have been considering is to just do a double charge with a double disk, or a triple charge with a single disk. Just lower the press arm half way so it does not turn the index rod.

Problem is it goes against my safety attitude of eliminating things that can be easily overlooked or mis-counted. Seems simple enough, but introduces an element of risk.

For now I actually remove rifle cases from the press, and charge them with my RCBS powder measure, then put the case back into the press for bullet seating, etc.
Old December 18, 2008, 05:06 PM   #9
markcmiller

Yeah, I don't like the idea of "double-pumping" the press arm--too easy to forget and do one or three! Also, if you bump the turret part way toward the next station because you cycled the press arm down too far, then you have to manually reset it.

That's why I screwed the perfect powder measure into the top of the powder through expanding die in place of the double disk system. Other than having to position it to avoid the primer tray, it seems to work well. That's why I was surprised to read Midway's caution against it.
Old December 18, 2008, 05:27 PM   #10
CrustyFN

Quote:
Yeah, I don't like the idea of "double-pumping" the press arm--too easy to forget and do one or three!
I couldn't agree more. I'm glad it's working for you. Thanks for letting us know I'm sure that info will come in handy for quite a few others.
Rusty