The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 30, 2007, 10:03 AM   #1
6.5x.284tony

Help me pick a new .20 cal.

I am getting ready to have a new varmint gun built, but cannot decide on what cartride to use. The following are choices that I have considered, but would like input from someone who might allready be shooting one of these. Here are my current choices.

tactical 20

20 br

20 ppc

20-250

I realize the 20-250 is going to be "overbore" in most peoples eyes, and also pretty hard on barrels, but this rifle will be used primarily for cyotes, and will not be getting the repititious firing like I would normally do at the prarie dog town. All input is greatly appreciated. I'll try to check back as often as
possible.

Tony
Old January 30, 2007, 08:24 PM   #2
stinger

Why not .204 Ruger. Unless you just want something different, I think you'd find attaining components, tools, etc., much easier to find.

But, hey, if you want something different, I can dig it. Most people aren't going to have much experience with the 20's, but the 20tactical has probably received the most publicity.

Sorry that I don't have much more to offer.
Old January 30, 2007, 10:57 PM   #3
6.5x.284tony

stinger

The main reason I have chosen these calibers, is becouse of the availability of quality brass, (Lapua for example). Yes, the reason I want to try the 20's is also just to try something different. And also have talked to a very competent gunsmith here in colorado (Greg Tannell) about the performance of this caliber, and he said it is outstanding.

Tony