The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 5, 2001, 10:03 AM   #1
zanthope

I Bought the Benelli...

I posted a Benelli question here the other day and got a lot of good comments about them....thanks all.

So, I went ahead and bought it....Nova 18.5 with a slug smoothbore. I took it to the range yesterday and it's a SWEET shooter, except I didn't find where it prints slugs at 100 yards. I'll try again today.

Maybe 18.5 is too short for that range?

The foregrip rattles around a LOT...makes a lot of noise, which I didn't realize in the store. Is there a way to tighten this up or shim it somehow?
Old December 5, 2001, 10:27 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The bbl's long enough,Zan, try starting out at 25 and work back. Good luck, and please give a T&E after more shooting.
Old December 6, 2001, 07:50 AM   #3
Billy Sparks

I also bought a Nova 18.5 not too long ago. I got ghost rings on mine. I added the extended mag tube and the recoil reducer. I have used it twice. Once at my Dad's farm shooting birdshot, buck and slugs. Distance was about 25 yards but I didn't measure. Slugs were pretty much where I was aiming but I wasn't really paying attention just trying to "get to know" the Nova. Worked great. Second time was shooting some very informal skeet at Dad's and the only problem I had was that sometimes I would short stroke the action and not pick up a shell. Seeing as how this was my first time shooting at skeet I think this was more a function of being excited than the gun. I don't remember and shake.
Old December 6, 2001, 08:51 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Billy,that prob will disappear with familiarity. Use good form and get in lots of practice at different games, including that informal stuff.

Enjoy....