The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old July 31, 2001, 09:50 AM   #1
johnbt

Login question on birthdate?

I just logged in. What is the deal with the question on whether I was born before or after 1988?

John
Old July 31, 2001, 10:01 AM   #2
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

What is always the deal with intrusive questions--some yahoo passed a law. Children's Online Protection Act, or COPA for short. I had never heard of it either until recently. It's at the login screen now? It only came up for people registering before.
Old July 31, 2001, 10:21 AM   #3
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

That question should only be coming up for new registrants. I don't see it when I log in...

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/1999/9910/childfinal.htm
Quote:
The Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998.

The main goal of COPPA is to protect the privacy of children using the Internet. As of April 21, 2000, certain commercial Web sites must obtain parental consent before collecting, using, or disclosing personal information from children under 13.
Since TFL lists the email address and profile information of members, (if they choose to have it in their profile) we are required to ask this question.

Here is The Firing Line's COPPA Policy:
Quote:
Participation in The Firing Line forums requires that you be over the age of 13, unless you provide proof of parental permission. To accomplish this, a parent must email us at [email protected]. We will then provide instructions for registration.

There was a time in this Nation when discussion of firearms with children was not only acceptable, but commonplace. The Staff of The Firing Line believes that all of our children should be introduced to firearms by responsible adults. While the decision to engage in shooting activities should be left to the individual and family, we encourage parents to ensure that their children are introduced to the concepts of personal responsibility and firearms safety.

As with car keys, kitchen knives and fire, every American will encounter the tool we call "firearm" at some point in his/her life. It is the responsibility of this nation's parents to assure that their child be prepared to safely deal with such situations. One great source for firearms safety information is the NRA's Eddie Eagle program. Contrary to what you may have heard, this program neither glorifies nor encourages shooting. It simply teaches safety and responsibility.

If your parent would like to explore other avenues for teaching firearms safety, please have them contact us. We will put them in touch with training resources in your area.

The Staff and Members of The Firing Line
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old July 31, 2001, 11:58 AM   #4
johnbt

Thanks. I figured it had to be something like that, but the number 13 didn't ring any bells.

So 14-year-olds are fair game.?

John
Old July 31, 2001, 03:59 PM   #5
PreserveFreedom

Yea, 13 and up are cool. If you notice, many places that let you search for friends like the ICQ whitepages and stuff have their age categories with a minimum of 13 (usually 18 though).