The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old July 29, 2001, 08:14 PM   #1
Herr Walther

:mad:

Is it at all possible to include a spell checker on this site?

I have seen them at other sites near the bottom of the post page between the "Post" button and the "Clear" button.

How 'bout it?

Do you think anyone would actually use it?
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old July 29, 2001, 08:53 PM   #2
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

Just guessing, but we're pretty restricted as to what is and isn't included with the software. I imagine Rich will tell you his hands are tied. We can suggest features for the next version of VBulletin but that's about it. Rich didn't really create the skins you see on TFL; they're part of the software and he's just added a few TFL graphics.
Old July 29, 2001, 08:55 PM   #3
Caeca Invidia Es
Staff Alumnus

You can copy your post into the box at www.spellcheck.net and then copy it back here after the spell check is done. Takes a little more time, but it's free and accurate.

I don't approve of political jokes, I've seen too many of them get elected.
Old July 29, 2001, 08:57 PM   #4
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

A possible "work-around" solution may be to compose your responses in Word or another program with a spell-check feature. Run 'em through before you paste them into the reply box.

That might tide you over until vBull decides to include it in a future release.

HTH!
Old July 29, 2001, 11:45 PM   #5
Herr Walther

Well, actually I didn't mean it to be for me. I'm not an english major, but I spell fairly well.
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old July 29, 2001, 11:48 PM   #6
Jody Hudson

I am a terrible speller. I sometimes remember to write in my word program first, spell check it and then post. Not always. I should...
Old July 30, 2001, 10:40 AM   #7
dZ

one of the revs of this software, that we had online for 3 or 4 daze before it imploded, had a spell checking "feature"
Old July 30, 2001, 10:44 AM   #8
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Articulate your posts in WORD, spell check, then enter it in the thread.

We have to have some errors or TFL would lose its flavor!
Old July 30, 2001, 01:00 PM   #9
Rich Lucibella
Staff

The Spell Checker that had been included wen't to a pay basis. vBulletin pulled it and is rumored to be working on their own.

Provide me a URL of a site that has a spell check and I'll look into it. I suspect you'll find these were all disabled when the service went pay.
Rich
Old July 30, 2001, 06:35 PM   #10
Herr Walther

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...=Keys,+Synths+|AMP|+Samplers&number=7&topic=001089.cgi&TopicSubject=Roland+D-50+manual

I hope that this URL will come up. It's a few pages into the site, and it is the message posting page. The format looks to be similar to TFL, but I don't know about the underlying software.

Here is the URL of the main page if the above link will not take you to the post page directly. This is Harmony Central, a musicians board.

http://www.harmony-central.com/

Click on the "Discussion Forums" link at the top center of the page.
Old July 30, 2001, 11:01 PM   #11
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Thanks, HW.
The Board software is UBB. Spellchecker.net offers the service. I didn't know UBB still had available SC. One problem is it pushes banner ads in the spellcheck window, unless you pay for the service.

Spellchecker.com doesn't seem to support our software:
http://www.spellchecker.net/features/bb.htm
Rich