The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 19, 2001, 10:36 PM   #1
Ludwig

Cutting a Vent-Rib Barrel

When you shorten a vent-rib barrel, do you just cut at one of the places where the rib attaches to the barrel? (Within legal length.) Any cautions? Thanks. L
Old June 20, 2001, 02:42 AM   #2
DML

When I cut them I usually do it 1/4" to 3/8 in front of the post. This gives you some room to square up the muzzle. Also, I think it looks better with a little bit if the barrel sticking out past the rib and if you ding the muzzle, it's easier to fix it.

I have a vertical mill to trim the rib back to the post, but careful filing will do the job.

Be careful of the length. 18" is OK, but 17.99999999 is not. Cut it on the long side.
Old June 20, 2001, 11:16 PM   #3
Ludwig

DML -- Thanks for the information. I appreciate it. L.
Old June 21, 2001, 08:51 AM   #4
banjobart

I shortened a REM 870 barrel from 28" to 19", cutting at a vent rib base. With a little touch up blue it looks great. No one would guess it is sawed off. I used a hack saw then a file and sandpaper to clean up the cut. I like the vent rib, a Hi Viz sight mounts with magnet power on to the rib. With an extension mag tube I have created a defensive shgotgun for about $200 total, including buying the used REM 870 Express synthetic gun.
Old June 21, 2001, 09:50 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The 21"(Nominal) bbl on Frankenstein, my generic 870 parts gun, was done like that and threaded for tubes.While bobbing the bbl can certainly be done safely by someone handy with tools, a better job can be done by a smith with the right jigs,etc. I'ts not an expensive job.

And I've seen those magnets come off on a trap line, so back up the installation with epoxy, black tape, double sided tape, or baling wire.

And a used 870 with short bbl,mag extension, and Hi Viz sights comes mighty close to optimum homeowner's insurance,in my admittedly biased view.