The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 18, 2012, 02:30 PM   #1
Vermonter

Interesting Video

http://youtu.be/CzGY3sQbeJk

I have posted this in TnT because of the bullet points at the end of the video. Please review them and discuss. I think its good to point out that you are always a target no matter how mundane you think the task at hand is.

The ATM is a good place to loose SA and end up on the recieveing end of a bad deal.

Thanks, Vermonter.

P.S. No one was hurt and that is a good thing.
Old January 18, 2012, 03:17 PM   #2
KC Rob

The guy successfully deters the robber and the police instructions are "Give them what they want" and "Obey the robbers instructions". Sheesh...
Old January 18, 2012, 04:42 PM   #3
mj246

^^^ That threw me off-guard too. Thankfully I've never been robbed, but in my mind, if I can reasonably believe that I can prevent/stop it without being injured or worse, I would do it. What world is this where we must give away all possessions to criminals. Even if the police catch the guy, he still got your money/valuables.

Now obviously you must assess any such situation and not needlessly put yourself into harm's way, but a policy of always submitting unless you can tell they'll harm you anyway kind of rubs me the wrong way. I'm not sure I agree with drawing your weapon on an unarmed assailant (which is probably illegal in many states), but I definitely would not want to give him/her my stuff if I could prevent it.
Old January 18, 2012, 09:04 PM   #4
Vermonter

imho

better to draw needlessly than need a gun and not draw
Old January 20, 2012, 08:19 AM   #5
hangglider

Too little info on the incident to draw conclusions IMO--though a thug reaching into a car through the window has placed the driver at a "disadvantaged grave threat" position which to me justifies the draw and point warning--though the driver is still at great risk from the driver position. The thug was probably a "beginner crackhead" who didn't really know what he was doing would be my guess.

As for the police stuff at the end--my guess is that the TV station and authorities are doing the socially responsible thing by stating what is the best legal procedure for the average "Joe Public" without alarming the public--which would result in a pervading sense of insecurity.
Old January 21, 2012, 04:19 AM   #6
NWGlocker

Is he wearing a Serpa?
Old January 21, 2012, 03:06 PM   #7
besafe2

Great job on Eric's part.
Old January 21, 2012, 03:17 PM   #8
9mm1033

Quote:
As for the police stuff at the end--my guess is that the TV station and authorities are doing the socially responsible thing by stating what is the best legal procedure for the average "Joe Public" without alarming the public--which would result in a pervading sense of insecurity.
At least you (and I) had the common sense to understand that statement by the reporter.
Old January 22, 2012, 07:13 PM   #9
farmerboy

Ok watched the vid and seen the statement afterwards. Just because the reporter says thats what police say, you see no officer stating that! You have to be aware when watching tv, news or even congress for that matter. Don't believe everything you hear, or even what you don't hear. I believe you still done good and even if you would have shot the BG you still would have been protecting yourself. Your wording will have alot to do in a self defense situation.
Old January 23, 2012, 08:12 AM   #10
SlopShot

Vermonter,

Interesting video. Regarding the bullet points, the attitude and mindset expressed within them is what is at the origin of every high crime neighborhood. DON'T GET INVOLVED, IT'S NOT WORTH IT!!!! SUBMIT!

Given the advice in the bullet points, this man was wrong for defending himself and his property.

This advice kinda reminds me of when they use to tell women to submit during a sexual assault.

As a side note regarding this incident, this is why I always cruise the parking lot around an ATM before stopping. When I do stop, I always get out of my car and constantly look around... If a bad guy is coming, I can see them coming (my car sits to low for my to see anything if I remain in it). Secondly, I have time to draw and can use a 1200lbs vault/safe as cover. I doubt few handgun or rifle calibers could penetrate an ATM and exit.
Old January 27, 2012, 11:20 PM   #11
Vermonter

Farmer Boy

I see your point.
Old January 28, 2012, 12:57 PM   #12
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
The guy successfully deters the robber and the police instructions are "Give them what they want" and "Obey the robbers instructions". Sheesh...
The police instructions are appropriate given that the majority of the population is unarmed and lacking in self defense knowledge and/or competency.

Eric did well in this case, in part, because he wasn't dealing with a determined and armed attacker. It was a bit funny that the suspect was trying to rob a security guard.

Quote:
Given the advice in the bullet points, this man was wrong for defending himself and his property.
Given the bullet points, he wasn't wrong. The bullet points are not absolutes. They are suggested behaviors to get through the situation quickly and to reduce physical risk for the intended victim.