The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old June 22, 2009, 07:21 PM   #1
BigDinOC

Which red dot for bullseye?

I was looking at the Ultradot Matchdot and the Ultradot Pan A-V. Any comments or suggestions. Is there anything out there that is compareable to Ultradot on a lower budget?

Thanks.
Old June 22, 2009, 07:32 PM   #2
FlyFish

I use the Matchdot - my wife and I currently have 6 of them installed on various Bullseye guns. I don't need anything better and don't want anything less - when I need a 7th dot sight, it will be a Matchdot. There are quite a few of them in use in the two Bullseye leagues I shoot in, and I've never heard of anyone who wasn't totally satisfied.

I don't have any personal experience with the Pan A-V, but I don't see very many of the "open" style dot sights in use around the leagues and when I've tried using them (on others' guns, and not the Matchdot version) I've had trouble getting as good a sight picture as I get with the Matchdots.
Old June 23, 2009, 01:01 PM   #3
Wleoff

I use Matchdots too on Bullseye pistols. Why mess with the standard? Here's one on my son's Ruger MKIII...
Old June 23, 2009, 01:06 PM   #4
ZeSpectre

I've been using a Bushnell Trophy Red-Dot Scope, Model 73-0132A
So far it's been just great (review here)
Old June 23, 2009, 02:37 PM   #5
kle

I once used cheaper 30mm 4MOA Tasco AccuDot red-dot, but after one practically and literally fell apart on me the night before a match in practice, I switched to 1" 4MOA UltraDots:

I figured that the investment is worth it for the quality and lifetime warranty.
Old June 23, 2009, 04:44 PM   #6
Pocketfisherman

I've had 100% reliable matches with Ultradots since the mid 1990's. Two are slide mounted on 1911's, one is on a 44Mag I use for hunting, and several on various 22RF pistols. That would be my first go-to option for a match site.
Old June 24, 2009, 11:52 AM   #7
NRA Pistol Manager

I know that they are a little more expensive but the Aimpoint Micro and the Compe C-3 are what I am runnng on my guns now. I have to say that they are the clearest optics I have ever shot. They are virtually water proof and the battery life is amazing.
Old June 24, 2009, 02:14 PM   #8
kle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRA Pistol Manager
I know that they are a little more expensive but the Aimpoint Micro and the Compe C-3 are what I am runnng on my guns now. I have to say that they are the clearest optics I have ever shot. They are virtually water proof and the battery life is amazing.
A little more expensive? 4x more expensive than my UltraDots, Mr. Zins =)

But they do look nice and small and light...if/when I get a 1911 wad-gun, I'd think about putting one on the slide.
Old June 28, 2009, 05:22 PM   #9
scottz0369

one I won't recommend

I've got a Tasco red-dot on my NEOS. It's pretty much the same as any other cheaply-made (under $50) red dot you'll see - only the name is different. It's shockingly hard to zero, and the attachment screws won't stay tight-I've got to tighten them every other mag or so. I suppose I can use loc-tite on the threads, but the whole thing just feels cheap.
I think this sight might work well on my kids' pellet gun.
I do like how the weight of the sight balances the pistol (it's a 6" barrel), and I like red-dot sights - I didn't at first, but after extensively using them on my M4 in the big sandbox, I came to like them a lot. I'll be getting something nicer as soon as I can!

Semper Fi
Scott
Old October 31, 2009, 09:10 AM   #10
ctkenc

Mounting Rails

What mounting rail are you all finding best for attaching an UltraDot ("Matchdot") to the top of a S&W Model 41?
Thanks
Old November 5, 2009, 01:44 PM   #11
Mike_In_MD

If you have a newer S&W Model 41 barrel it is already drilled and tapped. The Weaver 62 mount works great.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/64711-34.html
Old November 6, 2009, 07:20 PM   #12
ctkenc

Thanks one and all for your input .... I went with the Weaver Mount rail and the "Matchdot" from UltraDot. Test fired it today ... pretty cool.
Old July 14, 2012, 01:24 AM   #13
Sharpshot79

Beware of the Pan A/V

A few weeks back I purchased the Pan A/V ultradot because of all good reviews on the Internet about the ultradot sights. Keep in mind this is my own experience with this sight, so here goes. Mounted the sight on my Ruger Mark III 22/45, went to the range and was hitting bullseyes in no time. So I tightened down the locking screw and shot again. I wasn't even on paper at all. I knew at 30 yards I didn't miss that badly, so I shot again- off the paper again! I untightened the locking screw and my bullseyes came back immediately. I did this several times, locking and unlocking the tightening screw with the same results- bummer. Took the sight home and put the gun (gently) in a vice. I looked at the reticle and tightened the locking screw. The reticle moved drastically to the left. Took the sight off the gun and I could actually see the top portion of the sight move when tightening the locking screw. So I called ultradot since their warranties are touted as being so great. They told me to pay to ship the sight appr. 10 bucks after tracking and insurance plus they made me send a check for $12.95 for return shipping. About a week later they emailed me telling me my sight was ready and being shipped back. I emailed back about if they repaired it or if they were sending me a new one. They sent back an email to say the tech used it on an air rifle and it zeroed it and nothing was wrong with the sight. She said he was sending his target to prove it. Now I sent detailed explanations of the problem over the phone, email and with the sight itself. She told me to try it again. I responded to her email and told her I could also send the tech my targets to him to prove I can shoot and that I didn't have a zeroing problem but a point of aim shift when using the locking screw. So now I have a $225 sight plus $23 for shipping costs and still the same problem. I will be trying to take back to the retailer once it comes back. Moral of the story: If you want a holographic sight buy something else. P.s. many people online have been curious if these sights are actually made in Japan, they are based in Florida and when I asked the woman on the phone (she is in charge of distribution and customer service- I'm leaving her name out to be nice) she did not have an answer- she said "I don't know" -enough said.