The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 17, 2008, 12:28 PM   #1
Fox1

Neck Sizing or FL Sizing Question

I understand that once fired brass or rounds loaded for an automatic need to be full-length resized.

I also know that brass fired from a bolt action and being reloaded for the same rifle can be neck-sized only for about 6 to 10 reloads before it needs another full-length sizing.

What about factory ammo that has been fired from a bolt action?
Does it need to be full-length sized for that first reload or, since it was fire formed in that chamber, can it just be neck only sized?
Old December 17, 2008, 01:04 PM   #2
AlaskaMike

Since it's been fire formed to the chamber, neck sizing would be fine if it's being loaded for use in that same bolt-action rifle.
Old December 17, 2008, 08:40 PM   #3
rn22723

I would not count on 6 to 10 firings before having to FL size neck sized brass.

If I were you I would get Redding Type S Neck Bushing die for your bolt gun ammo. This will really help with decreasing the work hardening of the brass.
Old December 18, 2008, 10:11 PM   #4
amamnn

+1 on the bushing style neck sizer --whether Redding or Forster. People don't realize what how important controlling neck tension is to accuracy.
Old December 18, 2008, 10:55 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

The number of reloadings between resorting to the FL sizing dies varies with the gun, but especially with how hot you load. The hotter the load, the sooner the brass winds up jamming up to the size of the chamber. The Redding S Dies and the Lee Collet Dies (these take some getting used to, but work well once you get the feel) both do a good job. The Lee inherently prevents the formation of neck/shoulder junction "donuts". The Redding lets you tweak the neck tension, as mentioned, thereby adding yet another thing to the list of load tuning steps to work with.

Full length resizing also is not truly necessary. You can resize just far enough to bump the shoulder back a couple thousandths. You can even get custom dies made that just size shoulder and sides slightly.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 19, 2008, 12:33 AM   #6
Nnobby45

Quote:
Full length resizing also is not truly necessary. You can resize just far enough to bump the shoulder back a couple thousandths. You can even get custom dies made that just size shoulder and sides slightly.
The first part of your description is the proper way to size the case with normal dies, and is FL resizing. The last part describes the shoulder bump die (such as made by Neil Jones).

Caution: While an RCBS die, for example, is built so you can't create enough headspace to blow up your gun (or your head off), that's not the case with some of the custom dies.

I can adjust my custom shoulder bump dies enough to kiss the shoulder as designed, or keep going and create very dangerous head space---and even crush the shoulder. Fortunately, they come with excellent instructions.

I prefer a gage that measures headspace precisely to get the difference between the fired and sized case. At least have a go-no-go gage of some sort. Like the Wilson.

IMO, FL sizing each time you fire the case is the way to go. It's not so simple to neck size until the case gets a little sticky and then FL size. Better to "train" the brass as you go along while it's losing elasticity with each firing.

Fred Hunnigton (RCBS) once did a demo where he resized and fired a couple cases ('06, I think). Cases lasted for 16 firings for one, and over 20 for another. When the cases went, it was the split necks that did them in--not the FL sizing.

The key: FL size (set the shoulder back) ONLY enough so the case easily chambers.

Last edited by Nnobby45; December 19, 2008 at 01:06 AM.
Old December 19, 2008, 02:38 PM   #7
T-Mac

This isn't maybe the exact best way to do things... but it works for me.
And... these are all bolt action guns.
Like Unclenick, I use the Lee collet (neck sizing) dies.
I have some .22-250 Rem and 6MM Rem. brass that I have shot for years and has never been full length re-sized.

Now...my neck sizer for my .270WSM is RCBS....
But not much full length re-sizing needed there, either...
it seems like the necks split before anything else gets out of wack.

Last edited by T-Mac; December 19, 2008 at 03:03 PM.
Old December 19, 2008, 03:28 PM   #8
oneounceload

I have only necked sized brass for my rifles and an XP-100. Some of the XP brass has been reloaded over 15 times - it needs to get trimmed once in a while, but I haven't FL sized them in a looooong time - I also do not load anything to maximum.....I load for accuracy, even if it is a hunting gun