The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 20, 2008, 02:34 PM   #1
John Brodrecht

Winchester Super X2

I have a Winchester Super X2. When it is real cold outside, the firing pin does not seem to hit my 3 1/2" shells hard enough for the shell to fire. I have cleaned the gun and tried different brands of shells. It still doesn't fire sometimes especially on the first shot. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old January 20, 2008, 02:58 PM   #2
VUPDblue

Sounds like you have too much lube/lube and crud in the firing pin channel. The cold would cause it to congeal and be hard for the firing pin to get through. You should have this moved to the shotguns forum, you won't get much action here...
Old January 21, 2008, 11:30 AM   #3
birddog1

I had the same problem with my SX2 turkey gun. I found that if I eased the bolt forward it wouldn't fire, but if I just pressed the release button and let it slam forward, it fired every time.
Old April 1, 2008, 08:59 PM   #4
css3

Try a Cleaning and quality lube

As in other posts it sounds like you have issues with lube/debris in the bolt. Strip you gun as in owner’s manual. Clean it with quality solvent especially the bolt/firing pin and lightly lube with good lubricant. I only use Break Free, as it is an excellent wet/dry lubricant. This means that after the wet lubricant has evaporated there is a coating of a dry lubricant left behind. Being dry there is not a tendency for that to collect debris and un-burnt powder to foul your gun. Be sure to shake the break free container (it say so in the directions) before you dispense the lubricant. This mixes the dry lubricants that may have settled during shipping or storage.

Hope this helps