The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 20, 2014, 03:45 PM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

better Remington 700 spring needed

my 6.8 Remington 700 project is nearly done... the rifle is together but only feeds marginally right now... 1st & last rounds always feeds, but 3rd round never feeds...

the rifle was originally chambered in 22-250, I bought a Remington 6.8 magazine box from gun parts corp. & used a spare 17 Remington follower, & mag spring... the stock Remington springs for the short actions, often tip the front of the follower down, & do so on this one... my builder buddy thinks this is likely the cause of the feed issues...

I'm not finding any specific 6.8 spring, so assume any short action should work... as long as it leaves the follower in a flatter position...

any suggestions on where to get an aftermarket spring, that might work better ???
Old January 21, 2014, 11:40 PM   #2
INMY01TA

Had the same problem with my Wyatts trigger guard/detatchable mag. I bent the top coil on the mag spring so it put a little pressure on the other end of the follower. Now it feeds all five rounds fine. Why mag manufacturers can't figure this out for themselves is beyond me.
Old January 22, 2014, 06:31 AM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

thanks for the reply...my builder buddy didn't think the stock Remington spring would take to well to bending...

since springs aren't too expensive, I ordered 4 of them, a Savage, a Ruger, & a Browning, as well as another Remington spring, that didn't appear as "bent" in the picture ( though I realize it was a "stock" picture... anyway hope it looks more like the picture )... all 223 box magazine springs,