The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 3, 2008, 08:34 PM   #1
roy reali

Daisy for Deer?

Do you think my Daisy Red Ryder would be adequate for deer? I am talking small ones. I am willing to make sure the range isn't too far since my rifle isn't scoped.
Old April 3, 2008, 08:36 PM   #2
castnblast

Sure...aim for the butt and watch them jump! I won't say what I used to do with one of those back in my young and stupid days...
Old April 3, 2008, 08:43 PM   #3
rem870hunter

a BB gun for deer. wow it would make em jump if ya hit em the buttocks. you aren't seriuosly going to use a BB gun to shoot a deer are you?
Old April 3, 2008, 08:55 PM   #4
Lavid2002

Well is it a magnum bb that shoots those huge 5 grain bullets or a regular that shoots the 4.5 grain bbs.
LOL
Just kidding. I dont know what you were planning to get out of this but shooting a deer with a bb gun would just hurt it, It would be virtually impossible to kill a deer with a red ryder, a low velocity bb gun.
Old April 3, 2008, 09:01 PM   #5
tyrajam

Yeah guys, Roy is definately planning on shooting a deer with a red rider. Either that, or he is making fun of all of the "Can I shoot a deer with my 223" posts. Can't decide which
Old April 3, 2008, 09:04 PM   #6
Mainah

You'll shoot your eye out kid.
Old April 3, 2008, 09:06 PM   #7
BIGR

Sure if a slingshot will kill one go ahead and try the Red Ryder.....
Old April 3, 2008, 11:53 PM   #8
predator86

i have been wondering whats with all the posts that say this, "can i use my insert small caliber rifle here for deer??

christ just go get an '06 or a .270 and then you can hunt whatever you want...i personally wouldnt use anything smaller than .270 cuz i like SHORT blood trails.....
Old April 4, 2008, 01:10 AM   #9
Ifishsum

LOL nice one Roy. My sentiments exactly.
Old April 4, 2008, 02:35 AM   #10
Lawyer Daggit

I assume this is a joke. It is the kind of thing that gives shooters a bad name.

DO NOT shoot Bambi with an air rifle.
Old April 4, 2008, 09:26 AM   #11
Doyle

There are many times I have longed for a BB gun while sitting on a tree stand. Usually it's when one of the cows or a bull decides to horn in on my hunting action. They make so much noise that I could never hear a deer coming. A BB shot to the butt should get them out of the way.
Old April 4, 2008, 09:52 AM   #12
Fremmer

Well, I've heard that it is very common for poachers to use a .22 pellet on deer. The guys in Europe use the .22 caliber for everything up to elephant. I guess they just are better shots than the silly Americans who run around with red necks while they drink and hunt.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add:

It's all about shot placement! If you can't make a perfect shot and instantly drop a deer, there's something wrong with you! Shot placement! Why, just last week, I was hunting with my Red Ryder, and I saw a grizzly bear about 125 yards away. Not one of those little wussy Alaskan grizzly bears, this was a big Nebraska grizzly bear. Anyway, since I'm a crack shot (SHOT PLACEMENT!), I carefully lined up the sights, and....
Old April 4, 2008, 09:54 AM   #13
bclark1

I prefer hollowpoint rubberbands. The ballistic tips are nice too but too pricey.

Old April 4, 2008, 09:55 AM   #14
Hawg

Deer are thin skinned animals and not hard to kill at all. You don't need a big magnum to kill one. Your Daisy will be just fine. Shot placement isn't even that critical. Anywhere in the front half will bring one down. My friends uncle killed a 12 point with his last year and it dropped like a rock.
Old April 4, 2008, 09:59 AM   #15
davlandrum

Only if you have a perfect shot and limit your range

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old April 4, 2008, 10:20 AM   #16
deanadell

Quote:
I assume this is a joke. It is the kind of thing that gives shooters a bad name.

DO NOT shoot Bambi with an air rifle.

Give up on that kid's stuff.......Get a Crossman 760
Old April 4, 2008, 10:34 AM   #17
nate45

I appreciate your attempt at humor however...

I think in regards to using the smaller calibers Art got it right when he said..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Eatman
One thing to keep in mind about these discussions is that, generally, we're not the Joe Average deer hunter. A lot of us have shooting and hunting as avocations, working up loads and doing a good bit of testing of our gear--and practicing our shooting.

Compare that to the guy who hardly uses up a 20-box of shells a year. Who pumps adrenalin like mad when he sees a decent buck. IMO, he's not the type who can RELIABLY depend on "lesser" cartridges...
I've seen people who have their rifle bore sighted at the gun store and think its ready to hunt with. People who have never shot I deer in their lives. People like those don't need to hunt with a .223 or .22-250(in my opinion they should not hunt at all) they need all the help they can get.

However when someone like myself(who has killed many,many deer with everything from a bow to a .375 H&H) says that with a properly placed, properly structured .223 cal projectile the .223,.22-250, 220 Swift, .222 Magnum, ect will relaibly kill deer, its the gospel truth based on experience, not conjecture. On the other hand if you are an experienced hunter and reloader who has never shot a deer with a .22 cal and don't know that the 70gr Speer and the 60gr Nosler are designed for deer, now you do. Mere assumption is not good enough.

As far as the Red Ryder goes I know mine worked well on these.
Old April 7, 2008, 05:15 PM   #18
wpcexpert

Fun and Games

Fun Post
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old April 7, 2008, 05:42 PM   #19
JWT

Just make sure you don't use lead BB's and taint the meat so you can't eat it...
Old April 8, 2008, 03:16 AM   #20
mellow_c

Maybe if your the best hunter in the world, so that you can get within a few feet of the dear, and then club it with a horrendous swing that would surly break your precious BB gun.:barf: or shoot both it's eyes out and chase it into enough trees to knock it out. But something tells me the Deer would be gone from the sound of the trigger before your BB even reached it
Old April 8, 2008, 06:19 AM   #21
kristop64089

Not without a trigicon/aimpoint.

C'mon ya have to use your head here. If you don't use a pellet, the BB will just dump ALL of it's energy into the hide. You won't have proper wound cavitation, and then you will need to use multiple shots to bring the deer down. This will in-turn paint you as a homicidal maniac that premeditated the senseless murder of this deer.
Your best bet is to load up a .50BMG and end it quickly! YMMV
Old April 8, 2008, 07:57 AM   #22
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Sorry but the 760 is also just child's play! My Gamo shadow 1,000fps monster will kill a hog at point blank and would easily kill a deer with a headshot under 40 feet but it is illegal in Fla to try it.
To Lawyer Daggitt, Don't generalize "air rifle" as small items... An american Bison has fallen to the .50 cal AIR RIFLE as has elk and many other large game animals...
Brent
Old April 8, 2008, 08:08 AM   #23
hillbille

not to steal your post but this reminds me of last year we had deer in the garden real bad as none of the neighbors were hunters they fed them as pets, I got the boys paint ball gun and sat on the front porch every night and shot the deer in the front yard.they would just jump and look around like what was that. My old neighbor told me a few days later that something was wrong with "his" deer, one big doe I had hit 3 or 4 times in the butt, he said the hair was coming out and they were bruised. I tried my best not to laugh but couldn't help myself, so I told him what I had done, he just shook his head , then told me to be careful and not hit them in the eyes, those poor deer ran around all summer with blue and orange spots on them.
Old April 8, 2008, 08:10 AM   #24
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I prefer hollowpoint rubberbands. The ballistic tips are nice too but too pricey.
Nice - I think I've finally found a gun that I can buy with listening to my wife bitch about the cost!
Old April 8, 2008, 11:33 AM   #25
kingudaroad

Quote:
.i personally wouldnt use anything smaller than .270 cuz i like SHORT blood trails....
Yes! 25-06, 260 rem, 6mm rem, 243, and bb guns will not work!