The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 26, 2009, 12:29 PM   #26
Hook686

At my club's range, the ready low position is required. A couple of years ago the city police department practiced a couple of days a month at our range. At one practice session an officer slipped on racking his .40 pistol and a round was discharged over the berms (there are 4, each progressinely higher out to 330 yards). The bullet came down about 1000 yards from the firing line, hit the windshield of a truck of the company that gathers clay in the field beyond the berms and hit the driver in the leg. As I recall the description the skin was not even broken, but a law suit has been filed. Fortunately it was a city police officer inviolved and not a club member. However, the club is still a defendant in the suit.

Ready low seem wise to my way of thinking, just to establish a sound habit.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old October 26, 2009, 09:02 PM   #27
Lee Lapin

Anything BUT high ready (or is that "High Sabrina?" ) for me. No need to let anyone in under your muzzle in close quarters...

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old October 27, 2009, 11:34 PM   #28
vox rationis

I was taught that SUL is used when one moves around things that you don't want to "flag" or "sweep", it is simply a method of muzzle control when moving around people. You can use it as a "ready" or quasi retention position, but if I was on high alert and needed to be able to engage a threat as quickly as possible from a ready position, I was taught to use the close to chest ready with the pistol pointed out and at a mild upward angle, pointed toward the potential threat, with the pistol high enough so that one can see the front sight in the periphery of one's vision so that when/if you need to extend out into your isosceles you can start picking up the front sight as early as possible in order to push it onto the target (along with the requisite trigger prep as necessary).
Old November 3, 2009, 08:32 AM   #29
Glenn Dee

I may catch some flack for this but... "THE READY POSITION IS MOSTLY IN YOUR HEAD" IMO. I believe that most established ready positions are the result of safety and expedience while teaching large groups.