The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 1, 2006, 09:51 PM   #1
countryroadscityrock

Savage ML-10II

I just bought a Savage ML-10IISS and have two questions, first is it a good idea to lap the barrel of a new gun that's going to be shooting nothing but sabots, and second, I still have some Alpha Gold 300gr lightfield bullets left over from my blackpowder gun and I'm wondering if they'll take the higher velocities and pressures of AA5744 powder?
Okay, I know there's some blackpowder purists that that think this gun is the ultimate perversion, but for the unintiated, the ML-10 is the ONLY safe factory offered smokeless powder muzzleloader. I recently sold my Knight disc rifle because I got tired of smelling like sulpher, dealing with corrosion and the extrordinary amount of maintenance required to keep the gun a "tack driver". I muzzleload because it extends my hunting season which is pretty short given my work schedule.
Old November 1, 2006, 11:59 PM   #2
arcticap

I wouldn't lap anything unnecessarily, and even then, if it's not done properly the new rifle could be degraded.
What's the problem with the bullets, their composition? Does Savage recommend using only bullets constructed of certain materials when using smokeless powder?
There's forums specializing in the Savage muzzle loader to get expert & experienced advice:

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB/ (Has a Savage dedicated forum section)

http://www.savageshooters.com/ (click on "forum" at the top of the page)

Good luck and enjoy your Savage!
Old November 2, 2006, 12:02 AM   #3
FirstFreedom

Congrats!

This'll be mine next time I can afford to upgrade ML rifles:

http://www.savagearms.com/10mlbssii.htm
Old November 3, 2006, 10:33 PM   #4
countryroadscityrock

savage ML-10

Thanks for the feedback and info arcticap and FF! Yes there is some concern about lead degrading in the barrel and a warning about powerbelt bullets.
Old November 10, 2006, 02:24 PM   #5
countryroadscityrock

Alpha Golds

Well boys , the jury is in on Alpha Golds! I went to the range and fired ten three shot groups, checking the sabots for signs of failure. (i also contacted Lightfield's Guru Randy Fritz about the safety of the bullet first). At 102yds. I consistly outshot Hornaday SST and XTP bullets with the Alphas. I used a 3.4 Lee dipper with AA5744 powder and got sub 1" groups every time! The real benefit here is that the Alpha Gold bullets load SOO much easier than ANY recommended bullet/sabot combination I've tried! This could be critical if a follow up shot is required. Tarhut tested these bullets with no problems up to 2,300fps. so I think I've found my hunting load for the Savage ML-10II