The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old December 18, 2012, 10:47 AM   #26
Patriot86

Wow...I wonder just how much his mother did take him shooting. You don't hear about too many shooters wearing ear plugs...not that it matters much but Conn do you know if the shooter was really wearing a bullet resistant vest or if it was a load bearing vest?

I keep reading it both ways, the media often confuses a "tactical" vest with one that is designed to stop bullets...
Old December 18, 2012, 10:52 AM   #27
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

That's strange in itself. Why would you protect your ears, clearly a long term concern, when you're killing yourself in 5 minutes?
Old December 18, 2012, 11:09 AM   #28
Patriot86

Quote:
That's strange in itself. Why would you protect your ears, clearly a long term concern, when you're killing yourself in 5 minutes?
That says training to me...I don't know about you guys but thats the first thing I do when I go shooting, even outdoors its like buckling a seatbelt to me; I don't even think about it anymore.
Old December 18, 2012, 12:29 PM   #29
rem44m

Code:
He was even wearing ear plugs. Definitely prepared , sadly.
That is weird, my first thought was why would you care about that if your going to kill yourself right after.

Patriot- Maybe that does indicate training, or at least someone who has pulled the trigger once or a few times without ear protection and realizes how difficult it can be to remain oriented.

In my experience firing multiple shots from a rifle without earplugs can actually make you dizzy and disoriented.

"If gun owners are as violent as anti-gunners said we are, there wouldn't be any anti's left"
Old December 18, 2012, 12:42 PM   #30
JimDandy

He wasn't well socialized. He wasn't stupid.
I'd be interested in how the mom stored her guns. It's entirely possible she did have gun security. The thing to remembmer is this young man was mentally ill, not stupid. A trigger lock is good, but when you live in the house and know where the keys are, or what the combo is, they aren't aimed at keeping you out of the guns.

The mom was obviously not worried about her son shooting her if she took him shooting.

If Aspergers is a high-functioning autism, routine could be the only explaination needed for the ear protection.
Old December 18, 2012, 01:02 PM   #31
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
If Aspergers is a high-functioning autism, routine could be the only explaination needed for the ear protection.
I don't think Aspergers is an explanation here. Those guys are awkward and socially maladjusted, but I've never heard of them being prone to violence.
Old December 18, 2012, 01:14 PM   #32
Patriot86

I have a lifelong friend who has a form of high functioning autism. From what I know in dealing with him IT DOES NOT explain this. My friend is a great guy, he is smarter than me in some respects but doesn't do very well with math. He has his moments like all of us do but nothing that would ever explain anything on this level.

Some people are just evil; blaming things on a disease is a cop out.
Old December 18, 2012, 01:18 PM   #33
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Of course Autism doesn't "explain" this, most people with Autism aren't rampage killers. It could be one of thousands of factors though.
Old December 18, 2012, 01:23 PM   #34
Fishing_Cabin

Unfortunatly, from what I keep hearing the congress-sitters talk about on the news, they want to reintroduce the same '94 type ban, which didnt do anything then, or now really, but remove such things as bayonet lugs, etc, which I also hear Ct has, except for the mag restrictions....Never heard or seen of a bayonetting locally in the last 20 years I have been involved in fire/first response, or the 10 years I have been in law enforcement.

The fact remains is that this person who did this took the firearms illegally from their legal owner. Theres already laws to punish that on the books now.
Old December 18, 2012, 01:26 PM   #35
kayakersteve

WOW

Even though, I like to hear the scoop from an inside source, I am surprised Coon trooper is making statements that may possibly be part of an ongoing investigation.
Old December 18, 2012, 01:34 PM   #36
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I am surprised Coon trooper is making statements that may possibly be part of an ongoing investigation.
All of that information is available to the general public.

Also, let's stop with the off-color quips about Asperger's. They're off-topic and in poor taste.
Old December 18, 2012, 01:46 PM   #37
JimDandy

I think that was a typo of Conn trooper, not something off color... and I wasn't saying Aspergers made him do it, so much as, with my severely limited understand of how folks deal with autism, routines being important to their functioning being why he put the earplugs in, not went on a shooting spree.
Old December 18, 2012, 01:52 PM   #38
spacecoast

never mind
Old December 18, 2012, 02:10 PM   #39
gadawg31

Someone stated; we need to ban guns, because we have idiots that kill people. Why not ban cars, since drunk drivers kill people as well? The sad facts are, we will not resolve this issue by banning assault weapons, or even restricting mag capacity. We need to have more accountability in life and more consequences for actions, such as laws that make people actually pay for their crimes. Not just giving them a slap on the wrist and put them on probation. If we crack down on this, then it should start to sink in with those who think about doing dumb stuff and act as a psychological deterent. Growning up, my psychological deterent was my dad whipping my ass if I did something stupid. At my sons school, they have the security doors and a resource/dare officer (who is armed). Maybe all schools need to start looking at this as a deterent, before we jump on the "ban everything gun related" band wagon. As my dad always said: Locks are on made for honest folks, so evil will happen, we just need to be able to control the carnage. Just my 2 pennies.
Old December 18, 2012, 08:31 PM   #40
Conn. Trooper

Nothing I'm talking about is a secret. I read the earplugs in the paper. I am not actively involved with the case, I was there at the scene in the aftermath. It's just that I am following this case closely because I was there and I live in the area.
Old December 18, 2012, 08:37 PM   #41
Conn. Trooper

I don't know what the vest was. He had a bunch of loaded Pmags on him, in a vest of some sort.
Old December 18, 2012, 08:39 PM   #42
kayakersteve

@conn trooper - No disrespect was intended. I hope it wasn't taken that way. When I worked for oue dept, we couldn't talk about an ongoing investigation without approval. I didn't realize that you were not actively involved.
Old December 18, 2012, 08:51 PM   #43
Conn. Trooper

No big. I'm just reading everything I can. I was surprised by the earplugs myself. I can't believe he cared about his hearing so it must be a "tactical" decision or force of habit every time he went shooting. I'm also curious about the vest. I haven't heard one way or the other.

I'm no longer involved in the case, I was on the scene immediately after and through that night. The major crime squad is doing the heavy lifting.
Old December 18, 2012, 08:53 PM   #44
Tom Servo
Staff

We've been completely off the original topic for the last page, so let's go ahead and close this one.
Closed Thread