The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 8, 2012, 09:11 PM   #1
lwestatbus

Polo-type Shirt Over IWB Carry

I have been wrestling with concealment strategies in Florida where my typical attire while carrying is shorts, t-shirt, and an unbuttoned overshirt. My usual carry is an IWB strong side carry about at about the 4:00 O'clock position. But I have issues with my shirt blowing open walking to or from my car (we live near the ocean and get a steady breeze most of the time).

I'm considering changing to a polo or other closed bottom shirt worn outside the pants to conceal my handgun. This would, of course, require an extra move to bring my weapon into action.

Does anyone else carry this way? Any opinions on the practicality of this approach?

Thanks.

Larry
Old May 8, 2012, 09:24 PM   #2
shooter_john

I find a button up shirt (buttoned) to me much more conducive than a polo type shirt. It just seems that they are cut more generously to allow for carry. It seems as though we have very similar carry styles.

I usually get the thin cotton Columbia/ Royal/ Robbins/ Mountain Hardware/ etc. type shirts. I'm a big guy and it gets equally hot here in AL.
Old May 8, 2012, 09:29 PM   #3
ohen cepel

I've worn a t-shirt (makes the holster more comfortable) and polo for years to CCW. If you are worried about the polo blowing around or not being long enough a 2nd sun shirt hanging open works well (I'm fair skinned so it works well to have the sun shirt on also).

In the decades I carried that way I haven't had any issues with it.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old May 8, 2012, 10:24 PM   #4
MLeake

I saw a post on TFL a couple weeks ago about the new line of Woolrich concealed carry wear. As a result, I ordered four of the shirts, two in solids and two in plaid.

Bottom button is a false button; closure is held by magnets, and will resist wind but is easily opened by hand. Additionally, the bottoms of the side seams are Velcro closures, and can be ripped open if necessary.

I received the shirts five days after ordering directly from the Woolrich website, and have been carrying a full size 1911 IWB under them for the past few days.

They fit loose for size, but not excessively so. I normally wear size L; with the Woolrich L, there is enough room that the 1911 does not print, nor does the double mag carrier opposite side, although the fabric is light.
Old May 8, 2012, 10:45 PM   #5
paknheat

How about some pics?
Old May 8, 2012, 10:52 PM   #6
paknheat

Here's a few, Cold Steel Roach-belly knife & a Ruger SR9.
Old May 8, 2012, 10:54 PM   #7
paknheat

Here's the SR9 in a Crossbreed iwb rig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336535632.215355.jpg (47.9 KB, 268 views)
Old May 8, 2012, 11:02 PM   #8
cbuck

i normally carry my 1911 or sr9c in just a polo or button down shirt and a cheap ace iwb holster. when drawing your non dominant hand moves your shirt up as your dominant hand draws your weapon. ive never been a fan of open overshirts
Old May 9, 2012, 06:06 AM   #9
foxytwo

I always wear a polo shirt when I carry. Never have a problem clearing the shirt from the firearm, but you should practice to get it down pat. You want to make sure that it fits a little loose.
Old May 9, 2012, 07:57 AM   #10
Don P

I carry either a Gov. or Commander size 1911 in a OWB. I wear a wife beater T-shirt to keep the holster and gun from irritating my skin and just a T-shirt over that. Works for me. You may want to try a size larger than needed T-shirt to help avoid printing and for comfort
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old May 9, 2012, 08:11 AM   #11
Beentown71

I have no problem clearing a polo. I pull with the offhand and rake my thumb up my side with the gun hand. Even if the weak hand is busy I can stull draw with the gun hand with the thumb leading the way.

Mike thanks for posting those shirts. Going to look into them.
Old May 9, 2012, 08:48 AM   #12
Willie Sutton

You are obviously wearing your Polo's untucked?

Up here that's how we "make" guys carrying... everyone else tucks their shirts into their pants.

Any suggestions on how to tuck in a shirt and carry at the same time? Seems no good options for those of us who don't walk around untucked. The "tuck in" holsters are a pain to use.

Willie

Old May 9, 2012, 11:50 AM   #13
Bartholomew Roberts

It is a very practical way to carry and around here a pretty common clothing style in the summer (either that or North Texas is much better armed than I had imagined).

Quote:
This would, of course, require an extra move to bring my weapon into action.
Take a look at this link: http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/s...Drawstroke-101

It does a great job of showing a 4-count drawstroke that works well with this type of carry. As Beentown 71 described, if you have both hands free, the off hand lifts the cover garment as you establish the master grip on count 1. If one hand is occupied, you use the thumb to rake the cover garment and have to be a little more deliberate about it. Like anything else with firearms, it has to be practiced to be proficient.

This also works with Hawaiian shirts (ever popular with gunwriters for that reason), guaybara shirts, etc. The knit polo shirts are a little more stretchy though which makes them a little easier to work with. Go with normal or relaxed fit polos that hang straight down. No tapered cuts and you probably want to avoid the polyester-stretch ones that tend to be more form-fitting.
Old May 9, 2012, 04:18 PM   #14
Bailey Boat

I also wear shorts and an untucked polo in the summer and carry either a K frame Smith or my Colt Defender. If you practice a little it isn't a problem....
Old May 9, 2012, 05:53 PM   #15
1911Jeeper

Slightly over-sized 100% cotton Polo shirt with stripes, untucked. If the wind is blowing, slip your strong hand causally into your pants pocket an inch or so, and hold the shirt bottom with your thumb. Works with IWB or OWB.

“If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed.”
Old May 9, 2012, 06:36 PM   #16
Nnobby45

Polo shirts work good for some of you skinnier fellows, since reaching all the way across and lifting with the opposite hand is required for the draw. Either that or lifting with the same hand and then drawing.One way takes two hands, the other is slower.

I sympathize with the loose over shirt. If it's likely to blow in the wind, it's also likely to be clingly and hard to brush back to access the weapon.

If I wear a short sleeved shirt, it's a heavier one---like Cabela's Safari or something similar. I've found it not to be too hot in N. Nev. in the summer.

My favorite carry is the vest. Especially the one made by Bratwear. Just call in, they'll take your measurementsby phone and custom make it for you. It looks reasonably nice with black suede coller, has big pockets, including inside zippes on both sidesr for BUG, and it's compfy in the summer--at least for me. It's long enough to accomodate outside the belt carry.

Wasn't trying to change the subject away from polo shirts---they work well for some. But something else to consider.

Last edited by Nnobby45; May 9, 2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old May 9, 2012, 07:57 PM   #17
zxcvbob

I carry a revolver OWB with an untucked heavy cotton tee shirt or a polo shirt. Nothing thin or clingy. About half the folks around here wear their shirts untucked.

I bought a tuckable IWB holster (semiauto) for when I need to wear a suit -- might have to take off the jacket -- but don't have much occasion to dress up. It would also work with just a tucked shirt but I need to lose some weight. (just looser pants won't help unless I wear suspenders)
Old May 9, 2012, 07:58 PM   #18
Tickling

Quote:
Up here that's how we "make" guys carrying... everyone else tucks their shirts into their pants.
Y'all tuck your polo's into your pants?!
Old May 9, 2012, 08:27 PM   #19
lwestatbus

Not Really a Polo

Thanks for all of the great responses and ideas. The video clip on drawing is great. I had to chuckle at the post about tucking in polos. I don't really weal polos that often. But "polo" was shorter than "Reyn Spooner half-button Hawaiian shirt". My wife unjustly accuses me of having too many of these but they wear great and old geezers like me wear them untucked all the time.
Old May 9, 2012, 09:14 PM   #20
ms6852

The key thing to any conceal carry is that the shirt has to be oversized. Regardless of the style if it is oversized even if you tuck it in as with the crossbreed supertuck holster it will not be noticeable to the non-shooting public.
Old May 10, 2012, 07:49 AM   #21
Edgehill

The untucked Cuban or Hawaiian style shirts seem popular here in South Florida. My boss wears one everyday, and he's not carrying ever.
Old May 10, 2012, 07:51 AM   #22
Skans

Pocket carry. I can't wear untucked shirts (nor do I want to). Pocket Carry is my only option without going to something like thunderwear.
Old May 10, 2012, 09:28 AM   #23
bikerbill

I'm with Skans ... I'm retired and live in Central Texas, where it's already been over 90 several times ... I wear mostly tank tops or t-shirts and hate the feel of plastic or leather against my skin, so I pocket carry in one of the many pairs of cargo shorts I wear 9 months out of the year. I can carry my Kahr PM9 without any fear of printing, don't have to wear two shirts to cover an IWB holster so there's something between me and the holster and if I feel the need, simply sliding my hand into my pocket gives me a head start on presenting the gun if needed.

I do like Hawiian shirts and have a few Tommy Bahamas, but they're too expensive -- $100 for many of the Reyn Spooner shirts somebody suggested! I understand the feeling of many that carrying a full-size gun is the only way to go. For me, pocket carry is the solution ...
Old May 10, 2012, 09:00 PM   #24
lwestatbus

Misc. Notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Jeeper
Slightly over-sized 100% cotton Polo shirt with stripes
Do the stripes help with concealment or are they a fashion statement?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms6852
The key thing to any conceal carry is that the shirt has to be oversized.
I come complete with my own "oversize" that creates a natural tenting overhang that can conceal a pack howitzer tucked in my waist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerbill
so I pocket carry in one of the many pairs of cargo shorts I wear 9 months out of the year
I actually do this a LOT with a 3" S&W Model 60 but the only shorts with pockets deep enough to take it are ratty looking, even when they're brand new, and they drive my wife crazy. (So do the Hawaiian shirts but she's used to them.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don P
I wear a wife beater T-shirt to keep the holster and gun from irritating my skin and just a T-shirt over that.
This is a good idea. I've never worn a tank-style undershirt but I do need to lighten up on the layers in the humidity here and do want to have something between my firearm and me.

Thanks again to all.
Old May 11, 2012, 06:31 AM   #25
mete

A knitted fabric will print easier than a woven one .
A plain shirt will pattern easier than a patterned shirt .

Tags
carry , shirt