The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 12, 2010, 09:52 AM   #1
mikey2

Zoli Silver Falcon 20 Gauge

I have an opportunity to pick up a Antonio Zoli 20 guage. Comes with 5 choke tubes, selector, SST, barrels marked Nitro something or other, has the Drawn Bow under the trigger, plus a canvas type case, for $600. On a gun board, this gun would rate very good to excellent shape, with bluing at 99%, silver scoll about the same. Looks almost new in the case. Any comments?
Old September 12, 2010, 10:31 AM   #2
johnbt

For some reason the prices on these seem to have fallen over the past few years. It was discontinued in 1991 and had a list price of $1695. The Blue Book shows $1050 in 100% condition and $600 in 98%.

Here's a NIB 20 ga. that was listed for $799, but the listing was closed.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/986379318...Assemble.htm?&

Other than that, I don't know much about that model. I would buy it, unless it was my last $600.
Old September 12, 2010, 06:47 PM   #3
mikey2

Zoli Silver Falcon

Thanks John! I have no idea what would be wrong with these guns. Does not seem to be much out there to review. Looking at the gun, it looks good, but makes me question why the value is what it is. Looking at comparable Italian guns, they look the same, but sell for 3 times what this is. I have been looking at Weatherby's lately at Cabela's and this looks as good as anything I have seen in their stores. Go figure! It is coming home.....it needs one and I will make it mine.
Old September 13, 2010, 05:54 PM   #4
PetahW

[I have no idea what would be wrong with these guns. Does not seem to be much out there to review. Looking at the gun, it looks good, but makes me question why the value is what it is. Looking at comparable Italian guns, they look the same, but sell for 3 times what this is]

The reason is that many "Mediterranean" (Italian/Spanish/etc) guns of the same vintage, Zoli's included, have turned out to have been made with less quality than was apparent upon purchase.

They looked good, but have soft underbelly's in the form of accelerated internal wear due to inadequate metals used and inproper or no hardening.

While they are certainly adequate for the casual hunter/shooter, they decidedly won't stand the gaff for anything more strenuous, like clays, skeet, whatever.

In their day, they were basically entry-level guns, made to a price point - but made as attractively as possible within those parameters, to sell.