The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 10, 2008, 07:58 PM   #1
sigsauerfan

sig sauer P226 X5 competition .40 caliber

hello all. i'm new to this forum , i'm not a begginer in the sport,but, since i go to a range only for fun with my glock G22, i've started to think about shooting in competition condition. i'm not too bad at it,but far from ''really consistent''.

i'm about to buy something more ''serious'' to give it a go .

my question is:

i consider seriously that sig sauer P226 X5 competition gun....is it really worth the price as ultimate comp gun??

tell me what you think about this bad boy in stock condition . any recurrent flaw about it?? jams ?? trigger feel as a wet noodle?? does it need lots of re-work to get a great competition gun??

this one cost a lot, it would be my ''jewel'', like, gun of a lifetime...i plan to keep it forever...is the gun to get if i want to shoot better on a consistent basis ??

thanks in advance to anyone who's ready to share his knowledge with me.

feel free to tell me wich gun you would pick that would be the ultimate ''winning machine'' assuming it's the nut holding the grip who is responsible for good or bad consistency...lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 226X5-COMP-left.jpg (34.0 KB, 483 views)
Old November 10, 2008, 09:46 PM   #2
stephen426

I am a fan of Sigs but I don't have any experience with the X5 model. For competition, it really depends what type of competition you are getting into. Different sports have different requirements in terms of size.

That said... You might want to check out STI. They make some of the most popular guns for IPSC, especially their "Edge". I shot a friend's STI and ended up buying one. It is an amazing shooter and very accurate. There are plenty of after market parts for 1911 type guns. I don't believe that is true of the Sig X5 models though.
Old November 12, 2008, 08:39 PM   #3
sigsauerfan

thanks for sharing your knowledge stephen.

wooaw.i looked into the sti website. you're right. they make very fine pistols.specialy the edge,upsca, and the executive are well made and accuracy is not an option with them.

but damn,they're as expensive and maybe more than the sigsauer p226 X five line-up....decision,decision..lolol.

but i noticed most american teams in upsc use them...that say all!!

and they're very nice wich doesn't kill.compared to my G22:barf:..lolol.

i'll try to get a hand on one to try, but it might be very hard to find , because over here,poeple shoot old average guns only.

i will be seen as a nut if a throw 2000$ usd, but for comp shooting, i feel the need to get something refined, that's my point of view.

my glock sleep next to me in his holster...great self-defense gun, but my comp gun will sit in his case most of the time and will throw only the finest ammunition that's for sure.

thanks for your reply, trust me, i appreciate.
Old November 15, 2008, 12:22 AM   #4
MRRENWICK

If you do go with the x5 check out ordinance outsellers. Great guys and last time i checked they had the comp x5 for 1600 and the tactical for 1450.
Old November 15, 2008, 09:53 AM   #5
Jim Watson

Your Glock 22 will get you into any competition that an X-Five will.
I presume you are interested in the run 'n gun excitement of IPSC.

I strongly suggest you check out the available events in your area and go shooting at least a few times before sinking a lot of money into a specialized match gun.
Old November 15, 2008, 11:01 AM   #6
sigsauerfan

thanks for your opinion jim. i shoot o.k with my glock,but very inconsistently...some poeple told me i should change the octogonal barrel for an aftermarket/machined riffling one, and the trigger feel (i use double action trigger)....i dont know,maybe the trigger stroke is too long for comp shooting.

i did not tried many guns,so i'm a quite a bit of a novice shooter,so i figured it would be better to get something dedicated to shooting only....if i put lots of money(re-work) on my glock to reach a standard good enough to shoot with consistency, wouldn't be better to get a full comp gun like those s.t.i, or sigsauer ????

i'm a bit lost, i want to be a better shooter, and i want a refined gun,like, gun-of-a-lifetime i could keep forever...

if a pro come to me and tell me: hey buddy, you need exactly this!! i would probably run fast to the store and do the buy....lolo i'm at that point presently...lololololol

thanks everyone for the time you take at sharing your opinion with me...the poor novice with no knowledge at all.
Old November 15, 2008, 12:33 PM   #7
NRAhab

The Sig Sauer X5 is an excellent gun. However, it's also not a gun I'd recommend buying for someone who hasn't shot a lot of competition yet, because it's 1) expensive, 2) really expensive; and if you end up not like IPSC then you've burned up a lot of dough on a really expensive gun.

You mentioned that you own a Glock 22; a more frugal course would be to buy a Glock 35, the .40 S&W longslide competition Glock. It has the same grip as your 22, but a slightly better trigger and an extended magazine release for faster reloads. The benefits are that it shares holsters and magazines with your Glock 22, so you can spend say, 500 dollars on the new Glock 35, go shoot it in Limited-10 or Production for IPSC. If after doing that you end up loving the game and want to go deeper down the rabbit hole, then buy the X5. The biggest advantage to the Glock 35 is that because you already own a Glock 22, your learning curve is going to be a lot easier with the new gun that if you transitioned to an X5.
Old November 15, 2008, 03:33 PM   #8
sigsauerfan

nranab. thanks for that opinion. when i purchased my 22,i was considering the 35, but i backed-off because i was also considering it for home defense and little bit as carry gun. i'm not a fan of short/slim guns,so i tought the 22 was perfect....i was wrong for the ''carry'' part of my initial choice..lolol.

concerning glocks as comp shooter my question is:

what about this famous hexagonal barrel...is there any SUBSTANCIAL gain in changing it for a normal riffled one for improving accuracy??

and also,many are talking about kabooms occuring with lead only bullets ...what is the realty about this fact??

i clean up my 22 as often as i can, some say i dont need to clean it as often as i do, i shoot S&W ammo only($$$$), no reload,could i take the chance to shoot cheapo re-load ammo with it if i shoot more rounds than i do presently(more practice)??

again,thanks everyone to share your precious knowledge,it's a great time saver for me, i know most of you guys learned by yourself...lolol, i feel a bit as a theft collecting your knowledge,but i'm a gentleman thief,so, forgive me ,god will send it to you at one point
Old November 15, 2008, 05:32 PM   #9
NRAhab

There really isn't any need to swap out the barrel on your Glock for a non-hex barrel. For the kind of shooting a guy does in IPSC, the factory Glock barrel is plenty accurate.

The one thing to do with the factory Glock barrel is stay away from lead bullets; because according to Glock the hex-rifling doesn't like them. As far your gun blowing up, yes .40 SW Glocks have blown up, but no, it probably won't happen to you as long as you use good quality ammo.

As long as you shoot jacketed bullets and aren't running screaming hot loads through your Glock, it should be fine. Dave Sevigny is one of the top IPSC shooters, and he shoots a Glock 35 in Limited-10 division.

If you're looking for a good source for reliable but less expensive .40 SW ammo (and you don't reload) you should check out Georgia Arms. They manufacturer their own ammo and then sell it a pretty solid discount off of what you can get similar quality ammo from a gunstore.
Old November 15, 2008, 06:12 PM   #10
sigsauerfan

ppfft..wooaw. thanks nrahab. i've never seen such good deal for vrac ammo. really,i'll save lots of $$$ from buying in vrac. i've never considered it from that point of view.

you guys are very well informed wich is veeery helpfull, i'll never thank you enough for all handy infos i get from you guys, the time i save is priceless, and more i learn , more i want to dive in comp shooting !!

i suspect i will get more than 1-2 guns in the future.. . i'm just like a kid in front of a candy store....i just want'em all lolol.

after all, collecting would be cool to me. owning many handguns and sniper riffles make sens to me...not only for home defense , but if zombies show up one day, i'd like to be more than ready to wish them ''welcome'' in a ''hot manner'' if you know what i mean.

thanks all.

i'll now start shopping for a great snipper riffle. long distance kind of riffle.
Old November 27, 2008, 09:33 AM   #11
rduckwor

I agree with all of the above. Also, if you want to shoot IDPA, the SIG X5 will not be legal (too big for the standards box I believe). Just shoot some matches with your Glock and look over the amazing array of stuff everybody else shoots. Talk to them and watch how the guns run. You will find plenty of ways to spend your money. You don't have to spend thousands to have fun and be competitive. But, if that's your "thang", go for it.

If you decide on a SIG X5 for YOUR gun, I suggest that you get one of the single action models either the L1 or the tactical. The X5 Competition is a DA/SA action and that can make your life difficult until you get used to it.

Have fun and by all means get out and shoot some matches. You will find the typical group to welcome new shooters and be willing to help you out.

RMD
Old November 27, 2008, 10:20 PM   #12
sigsauerfan

thanks rduckwor for the good words. your reply is full of sens. i should take my time at trying to display good marksmanship trough my shooting, with my glock...but there's a factor i cant get ridd of,is that..lol i'm like a little boy in front of a candy store...i want'em all, and also, i probably have some collector blood flowing in my veins cuze i'm very appealed by fine machinery. i was the same when i was an active racer, i was always looking for the best parts to be mounted on my racebikes....lol. it's a bit of the same feelings i get with the guns thing....the more i learn, more i'm interested in finest hanguns available ...in a reasonable price range, naturaly.

but i want to stay rational trough my future purchases.

i'm probably going forward with 2 more guns, then i will concentrate on my discipline only....i will get sactisfaction by buying one or two refined guns, then i'll see if this provide me more motivation to take care of my technique as shooter....sometimes when you fillfull your eyes with nice pieces, it can trig great motivation to get better at what you're doing . in this case, it seems like my brains tell me i could be a better shooter if i get a great and refined gun...lolol & re-lol. i'll see if it work...if not, i could look at them with a good glass of scotch and smile. thanks for the keen words, i realy appreciated my friend.
Old November 30, 2008, 12:51 PM   #13
rduckwor

If you are dead set on buying a couple of more guns, you should try out the 1911 platform. You will either love it or hate it. Also, a good 22 pistol will help you stretch your training/ammo budget. Browning Buck Mark or Ruger Mark II or III are really good ones.

If you decide to buy a SIG, consider a P226 as SIG now makes a conversion slide/barrel for that platfrom. You can then train with the fire control chain/frame that you would use in competition. Caution: This conversion DOES NOT run on the X-5, I'm told.

Good Luck,

RMD

Last edited by rduckwor; December 1, 2008 at 04:34 PM.
Old December 1, 2008, 08:57 PM   #14
sigsauerfan

yeah,good Q's....i was exactly looking to get a browning hi-power in 9mm for my girl...a bit rough,but i heard so many good things about this line...very true!! and yes I'm set for at least 4 new guns in the next 4 months. the X5 for sure,but now i'm leaning toward a SVI completly custom in .40 caliber...i've seen some STI's,i've been shocked to see a PLASTIC trigger on some of'em!! shocking!! also, i've talked to some ipsc poeples/pro shooters, a prodie STI has nothing to see , out of the box , with the ones owned by pro national shooters...needs lots of re-work to get a great comp pistols....in stock trim,it's tough to reach the SVI level , wich is completly custom. you can even choose your own V.I.N since they're made on command...naturally,it'll be a keeper. but i heard good things about the X5...seems that their trigger feel is great with a very short travel and reset....just couples things to address like their stock grips, and little details...i find'em very nice machines..