The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

View Poll Results: Have you ever done damage to or destroyed a firearm as a result of reloading?
Yes! 30 16.57%
No! 151 83.43%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 31, 2002, 05:07 AM   #1
Redhook

Ever damage or destroy a gun as a result of reloading?

I know this may be a taboo question to ask, but how many of you have done damage to or destroyed a firearm as a result of reloading? If you have, please detail what happened, if you know.

This should be interesting!

-Red-
Old March 31, 2002, 08:27 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Had I not been using a Chronograph, I probably would have, thought.

Loaded up some .32 S&W Long with some old loading data and new powder.

Velocity was supposed to be in the 850 fps range.

5 shots over the chrono averaged about 1,050!

I don't know how long my 1917-vintage S&W I-frame Regulation Police would have lasted...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 31, 2002, 09:04 AM   #3
Hkmp5sd

Didn't damage the gun, but sure tried my best to do so. I handloaded a couple of boxes of .380 ACP to ensure subsonic flight for shooting in my Supressed Walther PPK. Not paying close attention to the progressive reloader I was using, I managed to make about 6 rounds with no powder charge when the powder feed momentarily plugged and I didn't catch it. While shooting, once I got to the first bad cartridge and fired it, no hole appeared in the target. With the supressor, I didn't notice a difference in sound, so I thought it was a wild shot. I fired the next round, which slammed into the back of the first bullet which was stuck in the barrel. Lucky, it too had no powder and the primer didn't create enough pressure to blow the barrel.

I mark this one up to just plain stupidity. Now I pay close attention when reloading and also check each round on a digital scale.

NRA Life Member
Old March 31, 2002, 11:46 AM   #4
C.R.Sam

HKMP5SD.......boy, talk about odds n luck workin for you.

Sam
Old March 31, 2002, 12:22 PM   #5
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Redhook, NO I haven't; but thanks for asking. Been handloading
off and on, since 1973.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.
Old March 31, 2002, 02:27 PM   #6
tawakoni

Yes I have.

That's what got me into reloading. I bought some 30.06 reloads from a commercial reloader. As a reloader, he was a pretty good bicycle repairman. He was teaching his girlfriend to reload so he gave my order to her. She "inadvertantly" used a set of dies that were modified for a particular gun with a very tight chamber. Also, she was supposed to load 'x' grains of 4064 powder but she loaded 'x' grains of 3031. Powder is powder, right?

Needless to say, when I fired one of these bombs the rifle blew into many pieces and caused me some serious but not permanent injury. I still have pieces of metal in my face that work their way to the surface from time to time and it's been 40 years. Eyeglasses saved my vision and my hearing is only slightly impaired but I didn't hear much for 6 months. After that experience I became a reloader. I rarely use factory ammo and never shoot reloads that were done by anyone but ME. Never had a problem with mine.

tawakoni
Old March 31, 2002, 10:44 PM   #7
kurt IA.

Almost
Did the same as the girl, was loading 32g of 748, ran out, grabed white can with red lable, 296 Very warm load.
Old April 1, 2002, 12:07 AM   #8
WIL TERRY

NOPE..

I RECENTLY WENT OVER 800,000 ROUNDS LOADED AND HAVE YET TO HURT ANY RIFLE, PISTOL, OR SIXGUN.
GOT ALL MY PERSONAL PARTS WHICH IS EVEN MORE IMPORTANT.
Old April 1, 2002, 11:44 AM   #9
Poodleshooter

Nope. I've been loading for 10 years, and haven't had anything worse than 1 primer blown from the pocket.
Knock on wood!
I wonder if Clark has voted yet? He should get 5 votes for himself alone....
Old April 1, 2002, 12:13 PM   #10
dick w. holliday

a couple of my buddies with Dillon 550's have--Destroyed a Bolt gun/Destroyed a contender/blew the grips of a Sig/ therefore i use an auto-rotating loader.......Dick
Old April 1, 2002, 01:22 PM   #11
Keith J

Yes, but much different reason....

It wasn't a hot load nor was it an obstructed bore but rather bad brass that caused mine. Seems like the 1999 lot of .223 Rem.
Federal American Eagle had some cases with less than adequate web thickness. These cases were heavier than typical commercial .223 cases so I figured I would reduce by 10% and start again. I never had primer blow-outs etc. with this load but decided to be safe anyhow since it was a component change.

The first three rounds landed within an inch of each other at 300 yards. The fourth was about 1/2" lower than that nice group start. The reason for the deviation? That case almost completely ruptured due to the inadequate head support from the web.

The "throating" given to an AR barrel is a slight radius of about 1/32" and the failed brass show the web stopped slightly behind this radius. Sure enough, sectioning others confirmed this to be true. I have received warnings my load must have been too hot and Federal brass is soft, neither of these is patently the cause.

Bolt gunners I have talked to have no problems using it as I'm sure the head has better support.

Damage? The bolt was split and I damaged the upper receiver in removal of the carrier as the bolt was jammed into the barrel extension. The magazine was totaled but I escaped any injury.
Old April 1, 2002, 04:35 PM   #12
renaissance7697

Reloaders Best Friend

I use a RCBS Powder "Lock Out Die".

It WILL NOT let you pass either:

A Double Load
or
A No Powder Load.

That; Mounted on a Auto Indexing Progressive
has kept me out of trouble from Over or Under charges.

Best $40 I ever invested
No progressive loader should be without one.

(Grabbing the WRONG Powder is an Un-Excuseable error.)
Old April 1, 2002, 07:40 PM   #13
Birdhunter

I came really close loading .38 spl loads on a Lee pro 1000 with Universal Clays. It would undercharge or not charge at all sometimes. While at the range the primer sent the bullet halfway down the six inch barrel of my S&W 686. Luckily I noticed it before I kept plugging away.

Fellow TFL members helped me figure it out.
Now I use only ball powder. No more problems.
Old April 1, 2002, 08:12 PM   #14
Frohickey

Managed to get a kB! from a Sig P226 with an aftermarket FireDragon ported 40S&W barrel.

Reloads were mild 40SW loads, 5.6gr Unique behind 180gr lead bullet. Small pistol primers. Couldn't find the case head of the cartridge. To this day, I will not use that barrel again. I think that the cause was the barrel. The rest of the batch of reloads fired fine from the factory Sig barrel. It was not a double charge since the powder was trickled up from a scale. It was not the wrong primer since the others fired fine.

SigSauer, if you are listening, MAKE A DOUBLE-STACK 10mm PISTOL!
Old April 2, 2002, 10:35 AM   #15
WESHOOT2

BENT 44 REDHAWK / GREAT RUGER SERVICE

I was unable to get 1800fps for more than one shot using 300g LFP.
Heavy recoil.
Witnesses.
Loud.
Big brass hammer-time.
Old April 6, 2002, 10:53 PM   #16
db4

Never hurt a firearm, but...

240 gr. cast bullet over "alot" of 296= 1750 fps out of a 7.5" bisley blackhawk .44. 2 cylinders would turn a fairly competent shooter (me) into a twitching spastic.
Old April 7, 2002, 12:36 PM   #17
Redneck2

seen two recently...

one was the race gun that was over Dremel'ed. had the feed ramp cut back and blew out the case

the other was a 1911 that had the bullets seated too deep and let the crimp roll over at the case mouth so it wouldn't headspace. Cracked the barrel.
Old April 7, 2002, 05:36 PM   #18
Jonny5

Had an interesting experience with a .30 Gibbs a few years back. After the first one got ripped off in a B&E I had another made. I still had some old ammo left from the first one and I figured it would okay to shoot in the new rifle.

Wrong.

Damn near welded the case head to the face of the bolt and got a nice shot of powder gasses and other shrapnel in the face.

That 1 shot went over the chrono at just shy of the 3400fps mark. Not bad for a 180gr sierra.

It took a pretty big hammer to get the bolt open after that.

Don't blame the tool for the actions of the person using it
Old April 7, 2002, 06:45 PM   #19
tonyz

Heck NO. But I have made some pretty interesting loads. Then there are the match loads that I make, can't find a factory load that will come close.

Tony
Old April 7, 2002, 06:54 PM   #20
Tony Cam

I loaded up some 148 gr plated wadcutters with 3 grs of 231. I was told they would be fine. I fired 6 rounds and noticed one was sticking out the end of the barrel. I pried it out and looked down the bore and saw another one stuck in there also !!
No damge to the gun or me, luckily. Load was too lite. Now i load em with 4.4 grs and they shoot great.
Old April 7, 2002, 11:29 PM   #21
blades67

At least the choices weren't "Yes" and "Not Yet"!

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old April 8, 2002, 10:11 AM   #22
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

From actual reloading I have never even came near a KB or damage.........................however.............. one time I was trying to "improve" some 22LR loads and was going to try some bullseye powder in place of the factory powder................a word of caution..............DON'T ! I fired it in my Win 69 and it blew the magazine out plus bent the plate on the bottom of the stock that is around the hole the magazine goes into. It also blew the extractor pin and spring out (I caught hell finding them on my shop floor) and melted the back of the cartridge. No permenant damage but it was a good lesson....................don't screw with some thing that is working!
Old April 9, 2002, 09:57 PM   #23
Brass Rat

Worst "damage" done was a head-sep in my AR due to overworked brass.
Old September 12, 2004, 01:10 PM   #24
kidcoltoutlaw

i had a rem 760 fire out of battery

the factory said it was a reload it was but not a hot load.the gun had done it before.i should have got me a wilson case gauge to check the rounds with now i have one for the auto's and pump.no more problems.
Old September 12, 2004, 08:25 PM   #25
HSMITH

Nope, not ever even close to damaging a gun with reloads. Never hurt myself other than ringing ears either.

I have loosened up a couple guns with several thousand rounds of heavy reloads, but it was to be expected.