The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 25, 2015, 05:33 PM   #1
T-90

Having a magazine issue with a Beretta 92.

Picked up a surplus 15 round made in Italy Beretta 92 magazine the other day. The floor plate is a bit thinned than the one that came with my pistol. (mine is a 1996 model). The magazine I just bought fits into the mag well tight doesn't click in like the other Beretta and Mec-gar mags I own do. It will cycle but to get it out you have to take your finger nail and pry it out.

I am wondering if I bought a magazine for a different Beretta pistol. Any ideas?
Old January 27, 2015, 12:35 PM   #2
T-90

Correction. It does seem to click in, but when you press the magazine release the magazine will not fall out. You have to use a finger nail and pull on the floor plate to get it out.
Old January 27, 2015, 04:05 PM   #3
AustinTX

If your other Beretta and Mec-gar mags work properly, then it sounds like this mag is just out of spec, whether due to manufacturing error or damage by a previous user.

Are you certain that the mag is Beretta OEM? It may be made in Italy, but it could have been made by ACT-MAG instead of Beretta/MDS/Mec-Gar.
Old January 28, 2015, 02:43 AM   #4
T-90

On the side it says "PB Cal 9 Para Made in Italy" I was always under the impression that PB stood for "Pietro Beretta", and only Beretta put that on their products.
Old January 29, 2015, 08:35 PM   #5
berettaprofessor

Yes, that's a Beretta mag. Could it be that the floor plate has been replaced?
Old January 30, 2015, 01:48 AM   #6
AustinTX

If the mag doesn't drop free, then it sounds to me like it was previously damaged and is now out of spec.
Old January 30, 2015, 03:32 AM   #7
hartcreek

Check the mag spring follower and mag spring. Either the follower is sticking or the spring is fatigued could even be some crud inside the one mag.

Use a pencil and slide the follower inside the mag and feel for sticking. You can also load the mag and watch as you load it for a spot that is not keeping tension on the bullets.

It is an easy thing to fix.

I just went through the same thing with my Star mags that I purchased off Ebay. I just polished the spots out of the follower on a wet stone and then wiped the parts clean...problem solved.

It is the mag spring that pushes the mag out of the mag well when you push the release button.
Old January 30, 2015, 05:04 PM   #8
Strafer Gott

Perhaps it's a mag for a 92s with a heel release. They don't mix and match without some slot cutting.
Old February 14, 2015, 02:26 AM   #9
T-90

After tinkering with it and looking somemore, it does appear it was for a Beretta with a heel release. Took it back to the shop and they traded me a Ramline 15 rounder out for it. Yet, one thing I noticed about the ramline magazine it when it is loaded to the max 15 rounds...there is a rattle in the mag as if one of the rounds it shaking around. Bad follower? Weak spring?
Old February 14, 2015, 02:31 AM   #10
LockedBreech

I'm not familiar with Ramline, but spring rattle is not necessarily indicative of any problem. Many of my magazines across various guns have spring rattle. My PX4 magazines have had spring rattle for all 6,000 flawless rounds.

Honestly, if I were you, I'd stop messing around with one-off magazines. Factory new Beretta 15-rounders are $20-25, factory new Mec-Gar 18-rounder flush fits are $28-32, and factory new anti-friction coated Beretta 92A1 magazines are $40 or so. They're all outstanding. Get some proper new mags and quit worrying about it.
Old February 14, 2015, 02:39 AM   #11
JohnKSa
Staff

I've bought a number of Ram-Line products. I ended up throwing each of them away except for the last. It was also unfit for the intended use but I kept it as a reminder to never buy anything Ram-Line makes again.

OEM mags for the Beretta 92 have to be in the top 2 or 3 easiest to find and least expensive quality pistol mags. In my opinion, there's really no reason to go with anything else.

Here's a new OEM Beretta 92 anti-friction mag for under $20.

http://www.cdnnsports.com/magazines/...-magazine.html
Old February 16, 2015, 07:01 AM   #12
T-90

@Lockedbreech. When I bought the mag I was under the impression that it was a standard Beretta 92 magazine, was not thinking of the heel release type.

I paid about $20 bucks for it. When I took it back they gave me a Ramline and $10 bucks back. So this mag only costs me $10 bucks. I will see how it works.