The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 19, 2009, 10:36 PM   #1
mechawreck

Mateba/custom?

Hi all.

We'll I broke down and got a Unica 6. I'd say for a gun, it's comparable to owning a high maintenance european sportscar --hard to find parts, but unique and attractive enough to own IMO. Though I've read every other post saying "that's the ugliest gun I've seen" etc etc...

Anyway I noticed mine has some custom work done on it. Close to the front sight, a portion has apparently been cut off and fitted with a short scope rail. Mateba has an adapter to fit a scope directly over the cylinder, so I don't see the point of this customization.

I've only owned a snubbie up to this point, and don't know much about accessorizing handguns with scopes (nor do i see reason to). What use does this serve?

Oh yeah, and I took it to the range for the first time, and the recoil blew the rear sight clean off. Off to the gunsmith, I guess. -_-
Old April 19, 2009, 10:47 PM   #2
Lolgasm

Scopes are for hunting with or for target shooting with something such as a 22. I cant believe the sights blew off while firing it. Cant you just tighten them down yourself or are they attached another way?
Old April 19, 2009, 11:19 PM   #3
mechawreck

I am aware handgun hunting. What I'm wondering is the purpose of a scope rail being so close to the muzzle --just doesn't seem typical.

As for the sight that blew off --the security screw was on tight, but the head of it looked like it was suffering metal fatique and just broke off from the shock.
Old April 21, 2009, 12:19 AM   #4
ballardw

Quote:
I am aware handgun hunting. What I'm wondering is the purpose of a scope rail being so close to the muzzle --just doesn't seem typical.
'Cause it looks "Tacti-cool".

And wait till your eyes start to go. A scope or red dot starts making lots of sense when skinny front sights aren't visible any more.
Old April 21, 2009, 08:54 AM   #5
Housezealot

why do I love ugly guns?

I want a mateba bad I was telling my dad that and he said he passed one up a few years ago for $700 , He called a guy who had an ad in the paper but he took an extra day to go look at it and by the time he got there it was gone
Old April 21, 2009, 08:55 AM   #6
Sam06

I think those things are neat looking. I have wanted one for a long time but I cannot find a good deal on one. I have no Idea why the rail is so close except as maybe a mounting point for a Cantilever type Scope base. What caliber is it? It looks like a 44 Mag.
Old April 22, 2009, 04:35 PM   #7
mechawreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam06
I think those things are neat looking. I have wanted one for a long time but I cannot find a good deal on one. I have no Idea why the rail is so close except as maybe a mounting point for a Cantilever type Scope base. What caliber is it? It looks like a 44 Mag.
Correct --it's a 44 mag. Would've preferred a .357, but the interchangeable spring factor wasn't appealing to me, and I think the nickel finish Unicas are just about extinct.

Looked at pics of cantilever scope bases, and that seems like it would make sense.
Old April 22, 2009, 04:49 PM   #8
Willie Lowman

Awesome!
Old April 22, 2009, 05:45 PM   #9
Casimer

I've seen frame mounts for Mateba's - these attach to the three holes forward of the trigger guard. Maybe yours is intended for a small red-dot.
Old April 22, 2009, 09:13 PM   #10
Erik Prins

those things look like guns from japanese video games and anime. really cool IMHO but out of my price range. How is the recoil compared to a standard 44mag revolver?
Old April 22, 2009, 10:10 PM   #11
Casimer

Quote:
those things look like guns from japanese video games and anime.
Togusa from Ghost in the Shell uses a Mateba.

look at that front sight! - he must be a ppc shooter
Old April 22, 2009, 11:01 PM   #12
mechawreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Prins
How is the recoil compared to a standard 44mag revolver?
I haven't had too much to compare it to, but I had my airweight 38 special at the range as well, and the mateba (given that it's a 44 magnum) didn't tear up my skin like the 38. (a side note: I have very small hands) People there were confused when they heard 44 mags being fired at the rate of a semi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casimer
Togusa from Ghost in the Shell uses a Mateba.
I've never seen a mateba discussion without having that same pic pop up. Shirow Masamune does his homework when it comes to firearms in his series. In the first GITS movie, he depicted Togusa with a mateba M2006 (actually called it an M207 for the sake of not endorsing real guns). Around 2002, Togusa was updated with the Unica 6. I sympathize with this character in the sense that he's an upholder of simple revolvers in world of semi-automatic and futuristic means of defense. (strangely enough though, the autorevolver is the most complicated of it's kind)

The M2006 is essentially a traditional double action revolver with interchangeable grips and barrels with a six o'clock chamber --I'd much rather one of these than a Unica, but I don't think they ever made it to the states.

Tags
custom , mateba , unica 6