The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 16, 2005, 05:37 PM   #1
quintos

Is a boresnake good for ALL your bore cleaning needs?

I went to the gun store today and he suggested to use the brush to clean out the gun and that the boresnake doesnt clean the corresive material of gunpowder. He said boresnakes are good for a quick clean at the range but that you still need to use a rod is this true. Also if you use SKS Yugo with "non-corresive" wolf or Tiger ammo would using a bore snake with mabey solvent be enough?
Old September 16, 2005, 06:03 PM   #2
jonathon

If you shoot corrosive ammo, wash the barrel out with hot soapy water or amonia.

Now, with wolf(which is what I shoot in my SKS) there are no worries there..

I run the snake through 3 times just to make sure. Run a dry patch through after it and see how well it did.
Romans 12:21

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good

More CZ M52 info than you can shake a stick at!
Old September 16, 2005, 08:12 PM   #3
bikenjam

Sorry to dissagree, but thats what these forums are all about, different opinions. Bore snakes are great, they can do a quick job of getting powder and other junk out of your barrel. If you don't want to use a rod to clean, i'm very happy with the OTIS cleaning kits. The cleaning procedure i got from Sinclair International is such: two wet patches with whatever solvent you use, brush at least 10 strokes with wet brush, 2 wet patches, brush at least 10 strokes with wet brush, 2 wet patches, 2 dry patches. at this point if you still are getting blue or dirty patches you can use sweets 7.62 or other powerful copper remover, then dry patch out and run one patch with oil on it as a rust preventive. Has worked good for me, and i find any less dosen't completely clean the barrel.

Now, all that being said, all i use on my shotgun is a bore snake because i don't care if its perfectly clean. It is a scatter gun anyway So, if you just have an AK or SKS that you just want to have bullets leave the barrel, i think a bore snake would be fine.
Old September 17, 2005, 01:55 AM   #4
Lawyer Daggit

I find the boresnake is fine if I am away on a hunting trip and want to give the bore a quick clean at the end of the day.

It is not much use at removing serious copper fouling and to this end nothing beats a rod, brush and solvent.
Old September 17, 2005, 01:51 PM   #5
Dave Markowitz

BoreSnakes are fine for quick cleaning if you are using noncorrosive ammo. Put some solvent or CLP on the 'Snake though.

I would not use a BoreSnake after shooting corrosive ammo. You need to flush the corrosive primer salt residue out of the bore with something containing water. Windex w/ammonia works because it is mostly water. (Ammonia doens't "neutralize" salts.) You can also use windshield wiper fluid, the old USGI Rifle Bore Cleaner that comes in the little green metal cans, or plain old water. Then run a dry patch through the bore and use regular bore solvent or CLP.