The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 5, 2005, 12:40 PM   #1
USP45usp

Would this work?

I was wanting to get a couple of barrels threaded, my 10/22 mainly. First, is it now legal? Second, how hard is it for a smithy to move the front sight?

The reason that I wish to do so is that once I get the money I am going to get a silencer for it. The other reason is that if Oregon gets their own awb passed then I won't have that option again.

Also (maybe OT from my main post), does anyone know where I can buy threaded barrels for my:

Hi-Power
HK .45
Kimber 1911

Thanks in advice.

Wayne

*I plan on doing everything legal so please don't think that I'm asking an illegal question(s).
Old March 5, 2005, 01:13 PM   #2
yekimak

try gunsnstuff.net (FAC) for the threaded pistol barrels, and they also carry threaded barrels for the 10/22. it is legal to have them threaded and not a big deal. The front sight block on a 10/22 barrel is integral, so it would require a new front sight altogether, brownells sells new bases and sights. It would not be a big job to replace a front sight.
Old March 5, 2005, 08:47 PM   #3
Harry Bonar

re-silencer

Dear Shooter:
Why, a silencer?
Old March 6, 2005, 04:10 PM   #4
yekimak

"why a silencer?"

I betcha you got a ton of stuff that one could ask "why?" about Harry, let the kid have some fun.

You oughta try one sometime Harry, they are a blast to shoot, and without the noise, the possibilities for plinking and target shooting open up a bit more....set up a range in the basement, take care of the neighbor's dog that barks all night (kidding), heck you can use it for the new universal remote to permanantly shut off all sorts of devices. I am sure there are a few more legitamte reasons to own one, not the least of which is fun factor.
Old March 6, 2005, 04:59 PM   #5
USP45usp

Harry,

Why, just because (insert shugging shoulders smilie here)?

No, I like the thought of having one. It's legal (in most states) and they are fun to have, to just hear the bolt open and close (on the .22) and see the hit on the target.

As for the 9mm, the .45's, just so that I can fire without hurting my ears (even with plugs and muffs) any more then what they are. I have a ringing in my ears but not only from my younger days of firing without really good hearing protection but also from being around the flightline on bases.

If you are thinking that I have partaking of the movies "pffffff" when they fire a gun with a silencer, I have no faith in that logic (or lack thereof).

But most importantly, even if I have to pay for, it's a slice of freedom. In it's own way, something that shouldn't require a $200 tax, but does, in the hands of your average joe blow six-pack (as we are called).

Just like coming to a state where I bought my first spring loaded knife, where it is legal, with a spring that isn't your typical weak spring on a "do it yourself" build kit. It just felt, more free.

In this day and age, anything that you can get, no matter the cost, as long as it makes you feel more free, is worth it .

Wayne