The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 14, 2016, 07:20 AM   #1
roc1

Best Concentric Gage to Check Case Runout

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I looking for a case Gage that checks case runout to determine cause of problem
Have the Hornady good on loaded rounds but case neck gage not accurate and hard to use. Looking at Sinclair unit just looking for more input before buying one.
Thanks in advance
Roc1
Old June 14, 2016, 08:25 AM   #2
condor bravo

Just to clarify, are you talking about case neck runout after sizing but prior to bullet seating?
Old June 14, 2016, 08:30 AM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

For that function and checking loaded cartridge runout afterward, you are good to go with the Sinclair gauge. If you want more functions, like measuring case wall and neck thickness runout, the NECO gauge will do pretty much all case rotational measurements, but it costs more.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 14, 2016, 08:41 AM   #4
roc1

Well I guess I don't know wanted to check case runout after sizing or on new cases to see if problem is case or sizing problems to help with final runout after loading. Don't know which way to go. I check thickness with ball mic have turned some to see if that helps but bumping shoulders and partial neck sizing seem to work as well as bushing sizing so far. lee Collet dies work pretty good as well. Seems like 243 and 6.5 with longer bullets lot more issue than 22 centerfires not much problem with them. Just trying do things little better.
Thanks
Roc1
Old June 14, 2016, 09:13 AM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

The advantage to the NECO gauge on neck wall runout is you can also measure wall runout way back near the head with its extended anvil. I have found that typically turns out to be greater than the neck, giving a little more sensitive indication. About twice as much in 308.

The Lee Collet dies do great on neck straightness. Combine one with a Redding body die or an FL sizing bushing die with the bushing removed just to bump the shoulder back, and you can keep everything very straight.

For seating bullets, I've found the Redding Competition Seater Die will produce very straight seating. Another approach is to use a Lyman M die to put a small step in the neck to start a bullet in straight, then seat with a standard RCBS seater with it's long, flexible seating ram stem. The step then has to be ironed out by light adjustment of the crimp shoulder down.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 14, 2016, 09:15 AM   #6
condor bravo

To check out new cases, first run the case necks over the expander button within the sizing die to iron out any out of roundness that is common with new cases.
Old June 14, 2016, 10:23 AM   #7
Clark

10 or 15 years ago, my Sinclair gauge came with a little fortune cookie message included. ~~ you will probably find the expander ball is the culprit.~~

Based on my experience, that is no joke.
I bought MSFT in 1994, AMZN in 2002, and GOOG in 2004, but you could save money by just throwing the expander ball stem on the bone pile and use a Lee decapping die.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old June 14, 2016, 06:50 PM   #8
roc1

I use Lee decap die some. How you keep necks right size if you don't use expander ball? Won't die move them in to far unless collet or bushing die?
Thanks
Roc1
Old June 14, 2016, 08:32 PM   #9
qrz

If you have the 0.001 gage, Hornady also makes a 0.0005 gage.