The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 8, 2016, 07:31 AM   #1
madmo44mag

357 mag using Unique

In all the years I have been reloading 357mag I used 2400 and 4227for mag loads.
4227 always gave me the best performance but the 2400 ran a very close second.
Now with today prices and the fact I always have a 8lb jug of Unique powder on hand I’m thinking of loading some 357mag using Unique.
The bullet = Barry’s Plated 158grRN bullet.
Primers are CCI #500 small pistol primers.
Since I just tossed all my old 357 brass I have new Star Line brass; so good quality components
My question is for those that load 357mag using this powder.
What are you results with this powder in this configuration?
I see that 6.0 gr is the published load data but how is ignition and burn quality with so much unfilled case.
I have always tried to use a powder on mag type rounds that fills as much of the case as I can. This method has always served me well. Now 6.0gr leaves a lot of empty case so are you using a mag primer or will a std primer work just as well.
Do you see a lot of un-burned power do to poor ignition?
Share your pro’s and con’s with me on this one.
Thanks folks!
Old June 8, 2016, 08:21 AM   #2
NoSecondBest

I've been loading and shooting the .357mag for over forty-five years. I've owned at least a dozen handguns in that caliber (it's my favorite caliber) and have shot more thousands of rounds than I could ever count. Anyway, I've used every powder anyone ever used in that caliber and Unique was one of them. Here's my take/experience on Unique:
It works well in most calibers at some load level. It is user friendly in both rifles and handguns and is one of our oldest powders. That's the up side. The downside, and it's minor, is that it doesn't produce the best muzzle velocity, it's just a teenie bit dirty in most guns...but not bad enough to not use it, and I've never used it in any gun (rifle or handgun) where some other powder didn't give me better groups. If I could only have one powder on the shelf to load for everything, I'd consider it. It's very versitile. Now, think of this....2400 shares all of Uniques qualities and does just about everything just a bit better. It's cleaner, usually develops better MV, and in most cases you'll get better groups with it. If I could choose between the two, 2400 would beat it every time. Funny about the 4227. I've never gotten it to perform as well in the .357mag as a lot of other powders but it shines in my .357max. Back to Unique for a last comment: you don't need magnum primers ever with this powder, it's not position or temp sensitive. Good luck.
Old June 8, 2016, 08:34 AM   #3
Chaz88

Years ago a 158grn semi wad cutter and 5.0grn Unique was my main .357 load. It was comfortable enough for target shooting but still had enough punch for most critters.

I also use 2400, among others, I have never had ignition problems with Unique but I have with lighter loads of 2400 and not enough crimp. The only thing I currently use a mag primer for is H-110.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old June 8, 2016, 10:25 AM   #4
TimSr

I've been using 8.0gr Unique under 158gr cast, JHPs, and XTPs for years. it feels milder than 296 loads, and comes up about 100fps slower. (@1200fps) It leaves a black sooty film residue on guns and hands that easily wipes off guns and washes off hands with soap. I see Alliant publishes 7.7 as max. My load originally came from old Speer manuals.

6.0 should be fine for a nice mild load slightly harder than +P 30spl. It's capable of much more if you have the desire to go beyond that. Never had ignition issues with Unique, even in tiny cat fart 38 spl loads, and not a fan of going down there with plated bullets.
Old June 8, 2016, 10:49 AM   #5
Nick_C_S

I load a very similar bullet/powder combination for 357 Mag. Except I use a 158 Berry's Flat Point - not a round nose . . .

Here's my chronograph data:

158gn Berry's PFP; 7.4 grains Unique; CCI 500; mixed nickel plated brass; medium taper crimp; OAL 1.450" (per Berry's recommendation); 10 round sample size. Charge level is in compliance with Speer #14.

686 3" bbl: 1084 f/s; 20.15 SD
686 4" bbl: 1153 f/s; 24.65 SD

The Standard Deviations are a little high (but the sample size is a little small). I think the fact that we're talking 357 Mag w/ a plated bullet, taper crimp, and mixed brass, entitles the loading to slightly high SD's. Just my opinion.

At any rate, my notes state that the round shoots nice at a good "above 38+P" practice level (meaning, not full-power, "de-tuned" magnum level). I don't shoot a lot of these, but they are good straight range shooters. I won't push the plated bullet any harder. The box says "Max Velocity: 1250 fps." 1250 for a 357/158 is pretty much full-power. Personally, I would never push a plated bullet that hard. If I want to drive a 158 any harder than the above loading, I'll move to jacketed. Again, just my opinion.

Unique has a reputation of being versatile. But I disagree somewhat. Part of my definition of "versatile," includes running clean. Unique doesn't like to run clean unless it's pumped up pretty good. Underloaded Unique ammo can be a little frustrating at the range.

It can also be a little frustrating at the load bench. The large flakes don't meter well. For this reason, I don't load Unique to the top of the load data. I work up the recipes by hand-weighing each round; but once I move to a production round, I back down a few 10ths for the Uniflow hopper. Compared to other powders, I wan't a little more "headroom" with Unique for powder throw variances.

You mention fill level. Unique is fluffy - so it's got that going for it.

My favorite loading of all calibers with Unique: 357 Mag with a 125gn JHP bullet. It seems to perform well with 125's. I've ran this load up to 9.6 grains (Speer #14 max), but settled on 9.2 grains. At 9.2, she runs 1312 f/s through a 3" bbl. Superb round - right smack in the middle of Unique's wheelhouse.
Old June 8, 2016, 02:28 PM   #6
madmo44mag

Thanks guys.
I load 9mm and 45 acp with unique; not because it is the best but it is a powder I can always get in bulk.
The majority of my shooting these days is killing paper so cost per round is important.
You reported pretty much what I expected but wanted 1st hand accounts from my friends here on the forum.
I'll work a load up for the old 3screw Ruger and see how the shoot.
Funny how I own 3 Ruger 357 revolvers but the one I shoot the most is my old 3 screw. It has the nicest trigger of any gun I own. One word to describe the trigger - SLICK .
Thank folks.
Old June 8, 2016, 03:44 PM   #7
Hammerhead

5.5 Unique with a 158 plated and standard primer shoots clean and consistent for me.
Old June 8, 2016, 03:47 PM   #8
buck460XVR

Quote:
It can also be a little frustrating at the load bench. The large flakes don't meter well. For this reason, I don't load Unique to the top of the load data. I work up the recipes by hand-weighing each round; but once I move to a production round, I back down a few 10ths for the Uniflow hopper. Compared to other powders, I wan't a little more "headroom" with Unique for powder throw variances.
For the most part, Unique is a powder that shoots very well and very consistent when loaded by volume, this is why many handloaders that use dippers, like Unique. A powder thrower is nothing but a mechanical dipper. IOWs as long as your powder charge volume is consistent, a half gr of weight one way or the other will matter little. To get a consistent throws with Unique, one needs to consistent with their motion and rhythm when throwing. I've found the best way to adjust your powder thrower when using Unique is to throw ten changes in the pan and then divide by ten and adjust the thrower accordingly. If you try to throw one charge at a time and adjust, you drive yourself nuts.
Old June 8, 2016, 05:16 PM   #9
TMD

My pet plinking load is berrys 158 prn with 6.2 grains of unique and standard sp primers, usually use CCI 500's
Old June 8, 2016, 06:47 PM   #10
Nick_C_S

Quote:
A powder thrower is nothing but a mechanical dipper.
It's a near-non-issue for me. I just know that Unique throws will float around on the scale a little more than others. So I make a correspondingly small adjustment (staying a little lower than max charge).
Old June 8, 2016, 07:43 PM   #11
rclark

6.0g of Unique under 158g SWC (lit by CCI-500s) is my standard load for .357 when using Unique. Runs about 1082fps out of 6 1/2" barrel. Perfect for my purposes and is accurate (in my .357s). Standardized on 158s for this cartridge. I don't find it any dirtier than any other powder.... But then I clean my guns too after a few 100 rounds have went down range .
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.