The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 20, 2016, 11:04 AM   #1
Oldjarhead

lube for the AR-15

I used a M-16/AR-15 in the military in as an LEO. I am retired from both. I bought my first AR recently. I seem to recall I used Mil-comm TW25B lube on the rails and parts of the bolt carrier group in my career. I currently have a good supply of Shooters Choice red grease, that comes in a plastic syringe. Is this okay for my AR, or should I go ahead and get the TW25B lube? Any other good choices out there? Thanks.
Old July 20, 2016, 11:26 AM   #2
bonglee0507

If thats slide-glide thats very good for ar's. Been using them.for yrs

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Old July 20, 2016, 01:26 PM   #3
Bart Noir

You're going to get many different replies.

The late Pat Rogers told of people using almost anything slippery as an AR lube, successfully. I mean, Vagisil was even used

But his personal choice for best possible lube was SLIP 2000 EWL (Extreme Weapons Lube). This include full-auto weapons which got almost too hot to hold.

Bart Noir
Old July 20, 2016, 08:57 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

Lubricants are something people WAY over think and don't need to.

All you need is a good grade heat and water resistant grease.
Most any will do fine.

I know National Match shooters who buy Lithium grease at Walmart, a hardware, or farm supply store and it works as well as the expensive stuff in tiny jars from the gun store.
Just buy some grease. If it works, you're done, move on.
Old July 20, 2016, 09:13 PM   #5
qrz

I like frog lube for the upper and clp and an air compressor for the lower. There's other good stuff out there, so pick something that works well for you and is readily available in your lgs.
Old July 20, 2016, 09:40 PM   #6
Polinese

I always use CLP for everything never had an issue in any of my guns including ar's
Old July 20, 2016, 09:50 PM   #7
Mobuck

I use red wheel bearing grease on the cam pin track and bolt lugs. CLP on everything else unless it's really cold. Then I use RemOil on the BCG.
Old July 20, 2016, 10:39 PM   #8
Gunit

Mobile 1 grease and Mobile 1 oil. A can of each will last long time. Be careful with the grease though, grease viscosity and in the wrong places will kill reliability. Oil however, hard to use too much.
Old July 20, 2016, 11:37 PM   #9
Ibmikey

What Gunit said, Mobil one, however i forego the grease and use the oil on everything in the carrier. "Keep em wet" is a good motto you can burn off any excess if things require hard shooting.
Old July 21, 2016, 05:37 AM   #10
mehavey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibmikey
Mobil one... forego the grease and use the oil on everything
^^^^ THAT ^^^^
Old July 21, 2016, 06:16 AM   #11
TMD

Any lube is better than no lube. Pick one that you like and works in your gun and stick with it. Next to Glocks, lubes are about the most debated topic on this forum with no clear answer.
Old July 21, 2016, 07:31 AM   #12
Mobuck

"Be careful with the grease though, grease viscosity and in the wrong places will kill reliability."

I won't argue this BUT how many non-military shooters are actually out there at -25* or in a dust storm? I've had lube related failures at 0* and colder back in the old days before I knew about such things. Modern lubricants are so much better than 40 years back.
A: you don't need a heavy lube to stand up to high friction
B: even thicker modern lubricants are less likely to clot up in the cold
C: it's much easier to flush out the thicker lube and relube with appropriate cold weather lube than it once was
Old July 21, 2016, 09:34 AM   #13
Gunslick

Regular CLP or motor oil burns off around 400 degrees where EWL SLIP 2000 burns off around 1250 degrees I hate clp.
Old July 21, 2016, 10:04 AM   #14
stagpanther

I never lube anything except perhaps the sear and trigger shelf when disassembling the fire control group. Lube is nothing more than a debris attractant IMO inside the operating surfaces of an AR. Otherwise, an occasional cleaning and light rub of CLP works for me
Old July 21, 2016, 02:12 PM   #15
Gunslick

To each their own. I run my gun hard and do carbine courses every year. I've seen guns fail because of not being lubed. Ar was meant to be wet.
Old July 21, 2016, 02:42 PM   #16
stagpanther

Quote:
To each their own. I run my gun hard and do carbine courses every year. I've seen guns fail because of not being lubed. Ar was meant to be wet.
Understood. I don't run my AR's hard like that--I try to make my barrels last as long and as accurately as possible. I almost never even run a 20 or 30 round mag. If you mean by "lube" a light viscous oil--then yes--I can see running a BCG wet--but not slathered with an actual thick grease-like gloop.
Old July 21, 2016, 02:58 PM   #17
Erno86

Semi-synthetic motor oil

--- George Orwell
Old July 21, 2016, 04:19 PM   #18
Fishbed77

I've been using plain old CLP for years and have never seen the need for anything else.
Old July 21, 2016, 06:03 PM   #19
rickyrick

Whatever bottle of lube is within my reach. Plain ole motor oil works.
Old July 21, 2016, 10:11 PM   #20
Toney

Hoppe's Elite or Mobil 1
Old July 21, 2016, 10:20 PM   #21
Gunslick

Technology has come a long way, old school CLP is a thing of the past in my opinion. Take the burn off rate for example; around 400 degrees F where as Slip EWL is over 1000 D F. Also standard CLP has pretroleum which attracks grime and dirt and what not, EWL Slip 2000 is a full synthetic and makes cleaning easier. Bottom line EWL is a better lube, just plain and simple, less wear, word.
Old July 23, 2016, 04:35 PM   #22
Pacman

5w-20 Mobil 1. Quart should last forever.
Old July 23, 2016, 04:41 PM   #23
Gunslick

Get on Amazon and order EWL Slip 2000. Just make the jump. Its the future for gun lube. Burn off rate over 1000 degrees and operates at sub zero temps. It has no petroleum.
Old July 23, 2016, 07:22 PM   #24
849ACSO

Quote:
I never lube anything except perhaps the sear and trigger shelf when disassembling the fire control group. Lube is nothing more than a debris attractant IMO inside the operating surfaces of an AR. Otherwise, an occasional cleaning and light rub of CLP works for me
I used to think that until I was issued a full auto M-16 a few years ago. It will not run totally dry. There has to be some lube in the gun to ensure reliability. Every since then, I have used a light amount of oil in my semi auto AR and heavier in the M-16.
Old July 23, 2016, 07:31 PM   #25
stagpanther

Quote:
Quote:
I used to think that until I was issued a full auto M-16 a few years ago. It will not run totally dry. There has to be some lube in the gun to ensure reliability. Every since then, I have used a light amount of oil in my semi auto AR and heavier in the M-16.
"Everyone speaks gun."--Robert O'Neill
I am NOT an expert--I do not have any formal experience or certification in firearms use or testing; use any information I post at your own risk!