The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 11, 2016, 03:58 AM   #1
garybritt

Lee Challenger Toggle Swap

Got around and changed the toggle on the old press with the new steel linkage. Mine never broke, but I figured it'd be better to replace it in case it would. Most people probably already know you can do this, but perhaps there's a few that don't. In any event, here's some pics.

Parts list:
OF3221 - Ram Pin Step
OF3609 - 1 3/16 Steel Washer
FO2113 - 1 1/4 5/16-18 Bolt
OF3613 - Lever Clamp
OF2853 - BL Challenger Toggle

Not Needed (but pictured):
TP2117 - Link Bolt 3/8X24
FB1181 - Nut 3/8X24

Old June 11, 2016, 04:53 AM   #2
m&p45acp10+1

I bought a brand new one that the toggle was broken right out of the box. Upon getting ahold of Lee cutomer service was told I had pay to ship the broken part to them, or pay a $15 fee to have it shipped to me. I took it back to the store. Was given a refund. Will not buy any of their presses ever again. I refuse to do business with any company that makes the consumers pay for their QC mistakes.

Though that is nice. I would put it on my old Challenger press if I had not given it to a friend to get him started with reloading.
Old June 11, 2016, 07:24 AM   #3
Mobuck

I've been through 1/2 dozen Challenger presses and really don't see the need to replace the formed/welded toggle. The early linkages were poor and wore quickly but the later ones wear out other places before the toggle. In fact,I bought a couple of the early presses that the owner was selling due to a broken cast toggle and replaced the broken parts with take-offs(formed/welded) from presses that had other problems. In these cases, the toggle outlasted one press and is still working well on another.
Old June 11, 2016, 07:25 AM   #4
mdemetz

Does part OF2853 - BL Challenger Toggle include both halves or do you need to order 2?