The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 14, 2007, 10:24 AM   #1
Fifth Wheel

What's the best .45 combat carbine available?

I was hoping to get everyone's opinion on this. I am on the brink of buying a Vector Uzi with the grease gun magwell conversion. I was wondering if any of you think there is a better .45 carbine out there and, if so, what it might be. This would be a semi-auto-only rifle with 16" barrel that can accept high-capacity mags. Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Old July 14, 2007, 10:58 AM   #2
FS2K

UZI's are OK...

MAC's are lighter though. Masterpiece Arms is producing a .45 Carbine now; http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/prog...asp?Prodid=365 and it's a $150 cheaper.

As far as "better" there's the HK USC's w UMP coversions, Olympic Arms .45 cal AR15's, and good ole Tommy Guns, but they are way more expensive than the Vector UZI you're looking at. Hope this helped.
Old July 14, 2007, 11:33 AM   #3
Fifth Wheel

Thank you. Have you had any experience with the Vector Uzi vs. the Masterpiece Arms Mac-10? If so, which has the better trigger?
Old July 14, 2007, 01:31 PM   #4
FS2K

Not the Vector's..

But I do have a friend that's had a an UZI for as long as I remember and lets me borrow it anytime I want. I have also shot other people's UZI's over the years (though 9mm's) and ALL of them have the same trigger, HEAVY with lots of pressure needed before it breaks, with a considerable amount of overtravel after the gun fires. Clunky. Like any gun I suppose you could do some work on the UZI trigger to improve it's feel, but neither it not the MAC designed guns were designed to be "Target" type firearms.
The MAC's have always had a lighter trigger pull to me, though not much better in overall feel (stock) but I know that it can be improved with a little sandpaper and metal polish. I have never owned an UZI so I've never done any triggerwork on one.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Just keep in mind that both designs were intended as full-auto SMG's and NOT semi-auto civillian guns so their triggers are both basically on-off switches that weren't made with finesse in mind.
Old July 14, 2007, 01:57 PM   #5
Fifth Wheel

Thank you again.
Old July 14, 2007, 02:39 PM   #6
MMcfpd

I have three .45 ACP carbines, and I've also looked at the Marlin Camp Carbine, the Masterpiece Arms carbine and the Uzi. The three I have are a Fox Wasp Carbine, an HK USC and an Olympic Arms .45 caliber AR-15 upper on a CMMG lower.

I passed on the Masterpiece and the Uzi because both appeared to be ergonomically poor, and I'd heard that the Uzi trigger was as described above. I'm still keeping an eye out for a Marlin, although with three .45 carbines in house and another on the way, that's a low priority.

Of what I have, I'd say the .45 ACP AR-15 is without a doubt the superior firearm in terms of ergonomics, accuracy and efficiency. And it can take advantage of the many aftermarket goodies available for ARs, such as match triggers, stocks and grips, sighting systems, etc. It does have its downside, that being the issue of magazines. Your choices with a .45 AR are pretty much to use either converted Uzi magazines or grease gun magazines in a lower receiver built to take them; i.e., not a standard AR lower.

The .45 AR I have uses Uzi mags in a standard lower, and they work great, but they are limited to 16 rounds and are very hard to come by. I've scared up five, plus one 10 rounder, and I can't see making the effort to find any more.

There are a few grease gun magazine options, one being a custom made lower as is being made for my fourth .45 carbine now by Bazooka Brothers. CNC Gunsmithing also has a limited run AR45 lower that will take the grease gun mags and Cavalry Arms makes a lower that can take GG mags with a mag block.

Forget the Auto Ordnance Thompsons - they weigh a ton.
Old July 14, 2007, 03:22 PM   #7
tshadow6

.45 carbine

I've heard good things about the Hi-Point carbines.
Old July 14, 2007, 04:04 PM   #8
MMcfpd

While it's been "just about to be released" for a few years, AFAIK the Hi-Point .45 carbine is not yet a reality.
Old July 14, 2007, 04:04 PM   #9
FS2K

Did Hi-Point come out with their .45 Carbine?

I heard they would, I just didn't know if they did yet. If so, yeah as far as bang for the buck it definately would be in the running, all except for the High-Capacity requirement 5th wheel has. Well, that depends on what "High-Cap" is. Maybe Pro-Mag will come out with 12+ round magazines for it like they did with the 9mm carbine.
Old July 14, 2007, 07:17 PM   #10
45Marlin carbine

Checking Masterpiece Arms their .45 rifle is 529$, more than a Marlin Camp, but the Marlin uses Colt mags and is accurate. And decent looking gun with some spit and polish. Good luck finding a Camp tho, been out of production for awhile.
Old July 14, 2007, 08:35 PM   #11
Fifth Wheel

Here's an MPA .45 I'm eyeballing for $359.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=75933468

I really like the prospect of being able to use a 30-round unmodified grease gun mag.
Old July 14, 2007, 08:45 PM   #12
FS2K

That looks like a great deal 5th!

It certainly fills all your requirements. Good Luck.
Old July 14, 2007, 08:53 PM   #13
MMcfpd

One thing you might want to email the seller about before you do anything: the one you linked to, unlike the other one that seller has up for auction as well as the one pictured on Atlantic Firearms' site, does not have a rail. That may well be a consideration, as I suspect with a gun like that you might want to put something like an Eotech on it.

If you get it, be sure to tell us your impressions.

ETA - I mention that because it can be difficult to find rails, and other stuff, that work for guns that are relatively uncommon.
Old July 14, 2007, 08:54 PM   #14
CraigKN

Beretta CX4 comes in .45. I have a 40S&W, and found hi-cap (20 round) ProMag's that work fine in it. Not sure if ProMag makes a hicap .45 magazine, but I'm pretty happy with my Beretta.
Old July 14, 2007, 08:58 PM   #15
MMcfpd

Ooh yeah, I forgot about the Beretta. I looked in to it as well, but the lack of mags greater than 8 round dissuaded me. Also, I've heard that some people do not like its trigger feel, at least on the .45.
Old July 15, 2007, 01:50 AM   #16
FS2K

COOL NINJA MAC stuff!!!

MMcfpd, if you need COBRAY (MAC) stuff in the future check this guy out!

http://www.rbgungraphics.com/macstuff.html

And he makes cool t-shirts too!
Old July 15, 2007, 01:56 AM   #17
FS2K

COOL NINJA MAC stuff!!!

MMcfpd, if you need COBRAY (MAC) stuff in the future check this guy out!

http://www.rbgungraphics.com/macstuff.html

And he makes cool t-shirts too!

or these guys:

http://www.ftfindustries.com/
Old July 15, 2007, 04:17 AM   #18
44 AMP
Staff

I went the nostalgia route

Thompson 1927A1 .45 ACP

30rnd sticks and the 50rnd drum. great accuracy, but I think it has more steel in it than my car does!

trigger needs work (heavy & "spongey") but inspite of that, 5 shot one hole groups at 25yds, and I can hit the 200 yd gong as well (ladder sight).

It is long, very heavy, not at all ergonomic, and a bit expensive, but it is fun.

For a more practical gun, except for the magazine thing, I would go with the AR. Macs and their clones are not good pistols (grip angle and design increases felt recoil), but with a shoulder stock might be ok. Never much cared for the Uzi (personal preference). The Beretta.....too much "Buck Rodgers" for this old phart.
Old August 13, 2007, 08:58 PM   #19
Torch

My exposure to 45 carbines is limited to the Marlin Camp 45 that I own. Shortly after buying it the hammer strut bridge broke and it took me some time to find a new one because this weapon has been out of production for some time.

Now that I'm firing it again I'm really starting to like it. It handles very well and is surprisingly accurate even with my lead SWC reloads (the Marlin micro groove barrel has a rep for not liking lead bullets). I like it so much I'm looking for a Camp 9 to purchase.
Old January 4, 2010, 09:27 PM   #20
maxposner

45 uzi with the grease gun conversion is indestructible and turns in decent groups, have a stock that is 1.5 inches longer. That makes the carbine fit me just fine. You could look for a commando mk111 in 45, they use grease gun mags and work amazingly well. I have a M1 Thompson and it shoots real good and Thompson mags are the best and cheap. I also have a Volunteer carbine, open bolt, grease gun mags and real rough wood, but it works supprizingly well also. I would think for accuracy and ergonomics, an 45 AR would be the best choice.
Old January 5, 2010, 02:37 AM   #21
dmazur

KRISS Super V -

http://www.kriss-tdi.com/kriss-store...&category_id=2

30rd magazines are available, I understand.

Last edited by dmazur; January 5, 2010 at 02:53 AM.
Old January 5, 2010, 04:23 AM   #22
NWCP

If you're really serious about an urban carbine you have to test ride an HK USC. It squeezes the most out of any .45ACP round. It is even rated for the .45 Super. The factory mags are 10 rounders, but there is a company selling aluminum 20 round mags for it. The carbine is easy to shoot well. There are cheaper out there, but none as good IMHO.
Old January 5, 2010, 08:33 AM   #23
smee78

Not knowing what you have in the form of other guns, what about the Mec Tec upper? It fits the 1911 or Glock frames and with the glock you can get pretty good mag cap. I bought one for my 1911 used but have not had a chance to shoot it yet. http://www.mechtechsys.com They have a few different styles so you can pick and choose what you want. Good luck finding your new toy,