The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 22, 2011, 02:44 PM   #1
Te Anau

Who makes a great gear bag....

that is tough and doesnt cost an arm and a leg.This one seems decent,but some complain about holes appearing too soon.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/BAG186-1.html
Old January 22, 2011, 03:05 PM   #2
mikejonestkd

I have this one:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...mber=939259680

and it has been well worth the $40 cost.
Old January 22, 2011, 04:42 PM   #3
bondo007

I agree on the Midway bag, well worth the money. Right after I bought mine they started selling it in OD Green
Old January 22, 2011, 04:47 PM   #4
Microgunner

I've been using one of these in hunter green for about 15 years and it's still going strong.

http://www.bagmaster.com/cart/produc...rs%20Model.htm
Old January 22, 2011, 06:43 PM   #5
snipecatcher

I have the Midway bag also. It is very roomy, and very heavily built, but as with most things, the zippers are the weak point. I've broken both sides of the main top compartment at different times. I've since fixed them and reinforced the weak stitching that gave out. Still, I would recommend this bag to anyone. Its got a lot of bang for the buck, and can still be used even if you break the zipper like I did, until you get a chance to fix it.
-Dan
Old January 22, 2011, 07:14 PM   #6
oneounceload

You need to remember, the minute a maker puts "gun" or "tactical" on an item, it seems to double in price.

Heavy-duty gear bags used by folks in the equine industry are heavy canvas, reasonably priced, and very durable

Check out a tack shop, unless you need a bazillion little pockets
Old January 22, 2011, 09:25 PM   #7
Te Anau

Thanks for the replies.The links posted so far are for bags that are much smaller than what I'm looking for.I'm looking more at "bug-out" type bags that are not backpacks and are more the size of the link I posted.These equine bags may be an option.Ill look for them.
Old January 23, 2011, 05:06 PM   #8
X_shooter

Quote:
You need to remember, the minute a maker puts "gun" or "tactical" on an item, it seems to double in price.
Much like boat, motorcycle, or related plane gear, the price is instantly jacked up when it is "designed" for a specific market. I have been using a craftsman gatemouth or something like that and it has held up fine. Big durable zipper, heavy cordura material, lots of pockets, and it stays open when unzipped. Foam inserts (home made)hold the pistols and built in pockets meant for small tools and fasteners hold the accessories. I also have medical turnout bag that doubles a big backpack if I feel the need to take everything else I own to the range.
Old January 23, 2011, 09:41 PM   #9
Te Anau

Well,so far i'm getting two of these and will still get something that loads horizontally and has more pockets.Thanks everyone.

http://www.patriotsurplus.com/r2415....hannelid=THFND