The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 7, 2010, 02:16 PM   #1
mrappe

Mutton tallow

Does anyone know where to get mutton tallow or fat without having to slaughter one yourself? There's not much mutton sold around here. If you could by some lamb shanks I wonder how much you would get out of them.
Old October 7, 2010, 04:13 PM   #2
zippy13

I saw mutton tallow listed in Dixie Gun Works' on-line catalog earlier this year. A month later I tried to order some, but they were out (I just looked, and they don't have it listed right now, either). We tried to get some locally with little luck, the local meat processor didn't have any sheep or lambs just then. The censuses was there wouldn't be any lambs locally until after the county fair's livestock auction.

Eventually, we found a deli/meat market that advertises they do custom butchering (specializing in animals from the fair). After the fair, we got a few pounds of lamb suet. Then, we rendered the tallow.
Old October 7, 2010, 07:14 PM   #3
crgator

Old Zip Patch Grease https://www.dixiegunworks.com/produc...951ecc109c56a7

Try this from Dixie Gun Works. I got some recently, and have used it on some wads. Can't really vouch for it yet, because I have yet to use them, but for the price, I thought it was worth a try.
Old October 8, 2010, 01:36 AM   #4
HiBC

If you mosey over to the ASSR(American Single Shot Rifle,I believe) site,there is a thread on BPCR bullet lube recipes.The gentleman from SPG lubes made an informative post.
I was unable to find mutton tallow,myself,but lanolin is readily available.
Old October 13, 2010, 09:46 AM   #5
spclPatrolGroup

If you knwo any traditional woodworkers, especially those who use wooden planes, they may be able to turn you onto a source since its used to condition wooden planes, also you can try looking at traditional wood working stores for some. I have never tried it, I think it would go rancid and smell eventually, anyone know if this can happen?
Old October 16, 2010, 08:41 PM   #6
noelf2

Mutton tallow won't go rancid. Neither will goat or deer tallow.
Old October 17, 2010, 12:13 AM   #7
McPhee

Local auction

In SW Colorado where I live you could get the whole sheep pretty cheap right now at the Wed Auction. Then you could have all the tallow you wanted plus a real BBQ or two to boot.

I just had to say this because when I was growing up my father managed a lamb feeding business. One year he had over 25,000 woolies to take care of. I used to move sheep from pasture to pasture before school and took quite a ribbing by my fellow students showing up at class smelling like the south end of a north bound sheep half the time.

Too this day, I cannot eat lamb nor smell it cooking without being nauseated.

So mutton tallow is the last thing I would put in my personal BP pistols.:barf:
Old October 17, 2010, 03:34 AM   #8
Howard31

Lanolin

Just got a pound of pure Lanolin on ebay for 12 bucks. Beeswax too. FYI
Old October 17, 2010, 09:30 AM   #9
Uncle Buck

If there is a muslim community near you, see if you can get some from them. I do not remember the holidays they celebrate, but sheep play a huge role in most of the feast.

Latino and Haitian immigrants use a lot of goats. Not a lot of fat on goats, but if like the other guys say it won't go bad, it might be worth a try.

Look for a local butcher and put in an order with him.