Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 3, 2009, 09:15 PM   #26
Tikirocker

Tam.

Not from me you wouldn't ...

Tiki.
Old June 4, 2009, 01:12 AM   #27
the_law_man01

Oh, hey Tam, I'm sure that since you seem to be such an expert on Lee Enfields that you know the sights are able to be removed from the barrel with no damage to any parts. This way it can be completely put back to original parts. I'm sure you also noticed that there was no cutting done to this gun. With the exception of drilling and tapping, this gun can go back to completely original in a weekend.

Thanks for trying to sound intelligent. Doesn't fit you though.
Old June 4, 2009, 01:33 AM   #28
Tikirocker

A drilled and tapped rifle is not original and next to chopping a barrel is seen as about the worst thing you can do to a Milsurp - that's in the eyes of collector/shooters; just so you know.

Tiki.
Old June 4, 2009, 09:15 PM   #29
madcratebuilder

If you track prices on Gunbroker you well see the sporterized Enfields seldom bring more than $200. The originals bring a high price compared to a few years ago, and the sniper models are at or over 4k. There is no reason to drill and tap a Enfield. There are several different no gunsmithing scope mounts. Altering a original stock that is matched to the receiver should be a crime.

I do think the Enfield makes a nice sporter, but start out with one that is already cut.
Old June 5, 2009, 09:44 PM   #30
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_law_man01
Oh, hey Tam, I'm sure that since you seem to be such an expert on Lee Enfields
Oh, I'm no expert on them. I own a couple, and have owned a few others in the past. I've sold a whole bunch of them over the past years, though. Tikirocker's a lot more of an "Enfield expert" than I am.
Quote:
that you know the sights are able to be removed from the barrel with no damage to any parts. This way it can be completely put back to original parts. I'm sure you also noticed that there was no cutting done to this gun. With the exception of drilling and tapping, this gun can go back to completely original in a weekend.
Yeah, so?

#1: You didn't mention if the original parts come with the gun or not.

#2: Even if the original parts do come with the gun, and someone puts them back on, all they have is a drilled & tapped Ishy .308. Assuming it headspaces tight, all the numbers match, and it has a stock that doesn't look like it's been gnawed on by angry beavers (like most Enfields that spent too much time in India) that's a $200-$250 gun all day long.

Quote:
Thanks for trying to sound intelligent. Doesn't fit you though.
No need to be rude; all I did was wish you luck. Oh, and don't forget Rule #3, which you agreed to when you signed up here at The Firing Line:
Quote:
3) No spamming, trolling, flaming or other personal attacks, be they acrimonious or veiled in humor. If you take issue with a Member's position, by all means speak your mind. If you have a problem with a Member's religion, creed, national origin, sex, politics, associations or personal hygiene, take it to email.
Thank you, and have a nice day!
Old June 6, 2009, 04:32 PM   #31
publius

the law man 01, good idea, give Tamara a hard time and tell her she doesn't know what she's talking about. you'll make lots of friends around here.
Old June 8, 2009, 06:40 PM   #32
the_law_man01

Tamara,

I'm sorry if you took offense to my statements. I sure didn't take offense when you insinuated earlier that I'm some kind of redneck, hick, or "bubba" (as you put it) for simply modifying a firearm to my likeing. If you don't like it, that's fine. I think it looks interesting. Not only that, it is also lighter weight (better for carrying in the woods). The barrel cools better without all the wood on it. It is more weatherproof with the new finish. And, certainly not the lesser of importance, with the scope you can really learn to appreciate the accuracy of these rifles at 500-800 yards. Where your rifle might hit a 2'x3' target at 500 yards, mine will hit a 12" target every shot from 600 yards.

As a matter of fact, I shot 31 rounds of mil-surp 7.62NATO on Friday. The first was to check "0" on the scope. (Dead on at 100) Followed by 6 5-shot groups. All of which ranged from .75" to 1.25" (from 100 yards).

Keep in mind its all about personal preference. You like the original military rifle. That's great. That's what works for you. I happen to have a Lee Enfield that is in all original EXCELLENT condition.

I customized this firearm. It works great for me. You don't have to attack me for taking something great and making it BETTER. Just accept that every person in the world has different interests. I have an original condition Enfield which will not leave my collection. So, bubba-izing (as you term it) an extra Ishy isn't a big deal to me. It was fun to do. It is fun to shoot. It was worth doing.