The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 7, 2009, 07:37 PM   #1
Any .45

I loves my M&P9!!!!!!

Well folks, I don't think I have ever posted on how much I love one of my kids(Guns). Cause I love them all the same... Anyway, today I went to the range, and as usual shot a few different guns that I own, M&P9, Springer fullsize, G21sf. Well it took me about half a year of owning any of my guns to be able to shoot 3inch groups with 200-300 rounds at seven yards, but this M&P has really surprised me. Its shoots as good as my Springer 1911 with custom work including Match Barrel. This poly pistol is a nice and so much fun to shoot, I put 300 round through her today at 7 yards, I measured 5 groups of 5 shoots and my worse group was 3 1/4 inch, the rest averaged 2 1/16 inch, and my best was 1 3/4. My total for all 300 rounds was about 3 1/2 inches. I know its not 2 inch groups at 25 yards from rest but this was fast fun shooting and the groups were pretty nice to my standards. I was standing in an Iso stand with a two hand grip and to me this is the best shooting poly pistol I own. I will be buying a pro-series soon. Sorry Glock might have just lost me for a while a customer. My 17, 21, and my old 19 did not shoot like this M&P. I was shooting CCI blazer brass, 115gr FMJ. I wonder how she would do with some nice reloads or some better quality factory loads. I'm gonna have to take her out to a rest with my 1911 commanders and see how she matches up to it at 25 yrds. Well thanks for listening. Opinions will be greatly appreciated, also if you love your M&P let me know.
Illuminate the path
According to your inner light"

"Spring forth from the Great Earth;
Billow like Great Waves;
Stand like a tree, sit like a rock;
Use One to strike All.
Learn and forget! "

"At the instant
A warrior
Confronts a foe,
All things
Come into focus"

Morihei Ueshiba (1883-1969)
Founder of Aikido
Old June 7, 2009, 08:24 PM   #2
TBT

Ive owned or currently own a lot of nice guns. Kimber, SW1911, Glock, SIG.... honestly, the M&P9 is my favorite. It shoots as well as any and is every bit as reliable. And I dunno, love the looks too.
Old June 7, 2009, 08:28 PM   #3
Texaskaiser

I agree completly. I too have the M&P 9 full size and have nothing but praise for it. Total round count is about 1200, not a problem yet and one of the most accurate pistols i own. Whenever i go on trips, range, hunting, ect. that pistol is in the bag with me no matter what.
Old June 7, 2009, 08:41 PM   #4
Freakdaddy

I have an M&P45 and I'm equally impressed with the accuracy. As a matter of fact, I was actually shocked the first time I shot it and impressed the following times. My wife's M&P9c has been just as impressive as well. Of the polymer guns, I think it is the best looking and has great ergonomics.
Old June 7, 2009, 09:03 PM   #5
ritepath

I love my 9c...it's a pleasure to carry and shoot.
Old June 7, 2009, 11:17 PM   #6
gglass

The silhouette target below was done with my M&P 40 full size at 15 yards. While I can group tighter than this with my M&P9 Pro Series, I felt quite good about this grouping with a medium/fast rate of fire.

I share your love with the M&P platform. I have long since sold both of my Glocks... My sons have done the same.

M&P 40 Full Size
WWB 180gr (100 rounds)
15-yards
Old June 8, 2009, 05:35 AM   #7
sawrecker

I love my M&P 40! But it love's to eat more than I can afford/find right now!
The rest of us can count on bein' free."Merle Hagard"
Old June 8, 2009, 05:44 AM   #8
M&P40

My thoughts exactly. I carry an M&P 40 and shoot IDPA with it. Excellent, accurate, dependable weapon.
Old June 8, 2009, 06:12 AM   #9
skoro

I've had a M&P9c for more than a year now. I agree with all of the positive statements made above. It's a great little shooter and even as small as it is, it has a big capacity.
Old June 8, 2009, 08:07 AM   #10
Cloudpeak

I really liked the M&P full size 9mm I owned. Very accurate, well made and felt really good in my hand. The pistol was 100% for a couple of thousand rounds (reloads with cast bullets.) Though it was very accurate slow fire, I'll be darned if I could shoot plates (five, 6" plates at 7 yards) worth a hoot with it so I sold it. I never could figure out why I had a problem with it. I bought a STI 9mm Trojan and do just fine on the plate rack with it. Perhaps it's the additional weight and the trigger on the Trojan. (BTW, I did the online trigger job on the M&P from the M&P forum and it improved the trigger quite a bit, I think.)
Old June 8, 2009, 01:02 PM   #11
Any .45

Cloudpeak, where about in Wyoming are you? I lived in Casper for a few year been thinking of going back. Now what trigger job did you do on the M&P? I like the trigger very much the one thing I find funny is the reset there is practically no click to it.
Illuminate the path

Billow like Great Waves;
Use One to strike All.
Learn and forget! "

"At the instant
A warrior
Confronts a foe,
All things
Come into focus"

Founder of Aikido
Old June 8, 2009, 04:35 PM   #12
Cloudpeak

Quote:
Cloudpeak, where about in Wyoming are you? I lived in Casper for a few year been thinking of going back. Now what trigger job did you do on the M&P? I like the trigger very much the one thing I find funny is the reset there is practically no click to it.
I live 110 miles north of where you used to live.

Here's a link to the online trigger job: http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/M&Ptriggerjob1.htm The instructions are very well done and, if you're handy, pretty easy to do, especially if you have a Scotchbrite wheel. BTW, I always approach any trigger work with great conservatism. You can always take more material off. Smooth is good but safety is "gooder". Anyway, it improved the trigger and was fun to do.

I have a gray S.B. wheel left over from my metal aircraft building days. I checked the price on 6" dia. wheels awhile back, though, and they're up to $70.00, now. Over twice what I paid. (There are smaller diameter S.B. wheels and mandrels available at much lower cost from aircraft tool supply outfits). Anyway, they work great for a lot of gunsmithing and other "tinkering" stuff.

Last edited by Cloudpeak; June 8, 2009 at 04:45 PM.
Old June 8, 2009, 07:26 PM   #13
safe cracker

well im getting 1. now just have to make up my mind, 9 or 40...full size or compact, like i dont have enough to decide on... now i see some of them have a thumb safty and some dont whats up with that...?
Old June 8, 2009, 08:30 PM   #14
Any .45

Thanks Cloud.

Yeah I don't agree much with the thumb safety but some people like it. If I want a thumb safety I carry a 1911. I would say get them all but start with the 9 in full size, IMHO i like it the best and it conceals pretty well. I like the .40 in full size too, I'm just not a .40 cal fan.
Illuminate the path

Billow like Great Waves;
Use One to strike All.
Learn and forget! "

"At the instant
A warrior
Confronts a foe,
All things
Come into focus"

Founder of Aikido

Last edited by Any .45; June 8, 2009 at 08:55 PM.