The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 18, 2006, 07:19 PM   #1
WSM MAGNUM

Gunsmith Bench Vises

I am searching for a nice bench vise. I like the multi-vise that Brownell`s sells. Out of stock right now. I don`t care for most of the other vises sold by Midway and Brownell`s. Most vises on the market that I have seen looked like vises for auto and metal shops. I would like to see some pictures of your vises if possible, that you bought or made. I saw a nice vise that a gun store in Union Bridge has. It is mostly wood with padding on the clamping part and a rest on it for the forearms of rifles and pistols. Looked like someone may have made it. So, fellas, let`s see your gun vises and some ideas on building one.

If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?
Old November 19, 2006, 02:01 AM   #2
DnPRK

Take a look at the link. Add some green paint and o-rings on the handle and you have Brownell's wonder vise.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/h3302

Save yourself a few bucks with a $40 price.
Old November 19, 2006, 07:36 AM   #3
WSM MAGNUM

The grizzly vise looks exactly like the Brownells. The only difference`s that I can see are the handle and color is different. I could live with those differences. Especially a $200 dollar savings! Good find DnPRK.

Old November 19, 2006, 02:32 PM   #4
Harry Bonar

vise

Sir:
I really like Grizzly equipment! China and Taiwan are making vises and equipment as good as Kurt!
Harry B.
Old November 20, 2006, 09:43 AM   #5
Hunter Customs

Here's a picture of my well used old bench vise, the jaws are padded with leather. I have a good assortment of small tool maker vises, V-blocks and jigs that I use in the bench vise to give the angle and position of the work piece I'm working on.
The picture shows some finishing touches on the checkering of the frame and trigger guard on this Officer model Colt.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old November 20, 2006, 04:29 PM   #6
Clemson

This is a well-used Wil-burt VersaVise. I bought it for about $35 on an ebay auction. It had a broken base. I ordered a base from Brownells for something like $18, and voila!

The Chinese knockoffs of these vises are NOT as good as either the originals or what Brownells now sells. I recently looked at one in a discount store, and the screw had started galling on the display model. Also the screw protruded at an angle from the casting. It looked good from a distance, but it did not hold up under close examination.

Clemson

Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old November 20, 2006, 06:12 PM   #7
WSM MAGNUM

Thanks for the the tips and suggestions on vises. I did not know that there are jigs that can be put in the vises to fit a particular gun.

Clemson, the vise you have looks a lot like the one Brownell`s sells. Do you mean the Brownells is not a good quality vise?

Harry B., has the Grizzly Parrot vise worked well for you? Do you like it?
Thanks again for the replys.

Old November 20, 2006, 06:24 PM   #8
Clemson

The current Brownells vise is a good one. The vise I have was sold by Brownells before the company stopped making vises, and apparently Brownells found another manufacturer to make it for them, hence the current vise.

Clemson
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old November 21, 2006, 10:00 PM   #9
Harry Bonar

vises

Dear Sir:
I use a Chinese vise with the round mainshaft and like it much - also I've used the millimg machine vises.
I do agree that the old grade of cast iron/cast steel U.S vises are superior, like Wilton etc. - but for the price the Chinese vises give very good service - never had one break.
I do agree that American tooling is superior but where can you find an American made vise, mill or lathe we can afford.
Harry B.
Old November 21, 2006, 10:42 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

Few smithy's buy a 'gunsmith' vise. They use regular 4" bench vises with padded jaws. Thick leather makes good padding. Adding the word 'gunsmith' to a tool just drives up the price. Just like adding the word 'tactical' or 'For LEO Only'.