The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 11, 2006, 09:55 PM   #1
Harry Bonar

To the staff

Sirs:
You are not allowing me time to type my post! I am 70 and a one finger typist. By the time I invest time to post you shut me off. If you do this again I will forget about the Forum!
Harry N. Bonar
Old November 11, 2006, 10:21 PM   #2
Bud Helms

Harry, try composing your post in a word processor or text editor. When you are finished, copy it and paste it into your post. That way your posting/edit window is only open a very short time.
Old November 12, 2006, 06:33 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Bud,

This is curious. Might it have something to do with security settings? I just started a post, went away to the mall to get some jeans, stopped on the way home to get the wife some salmon fillets, returned, finished composing and posted. No problem. My assumption, from watching Zone Alarm's little communication activity bar, is that once I start an answer, everything is on my machine. As long as the cookie is in place, whenever I decide to post, the machine re-establishes contact with your server and the cookie's presence causes your server to recognize me and accept the post? Am I missing something here? I am using Firefox rather than IE, if that matters?

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 13, 2006, 01:04 PM   #4
El Barto

I had the same problem about not having enough time to post. When I selected the "remember me" box at the log in, that solved the problem.

I also compose a lot of my posts in Word first, and I type upwards of 90 wpm.
Old November 13, 2006, 01:52 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Harry,

I don't know if the TFL server has a timeout or not, but I suspect the problem is in your local server. Those servers have a "no activity" hiatus timer that closes the connection ("hangs up") if there is nothing received from the user in so many minutes. Sometimes, the timer is variable depending on the amount of traffic in their system, the idea being to free up resources for active users rather than keep an inactive connection ("I went to the mall") open. So you might be able to take a long time at 6AM, but be shut down in ten minutes at 8PM.

When I am typing, as I am now, nothing is being sent to my server, and nothing will be sent until I click on the "submit" button. So if I am typing for 30 minutes, my server is in a no-activity mode and chances are that it (not TFL) will time me out and close the connection on me.

Jim
Old November 13, 2006, 02:58 PM   #6
Harry Bonar

time:

Thanks Guys!
Harry B.
Old November 13, 2006, 03:52 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

I think El Barto has it right. My connection is probably breaking when I go Mall hopping, and the auto log-in from recognition is re-establishing the connection when I do finally get around to posting.

Good luck with this, Harry.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 14, 2006, 12:14 AM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Harry,

I don't know what kind of connection you have, but I suspect it may be dial up as that is the type of connection most servers physically terminate (hang up, just like a phone) when no data has been received for a certain period of time.

Jim
Old November 14, 2006, 01:02 PM   #9
Mike in Michigan

time out

If your computer is hooked up to a phone line you are more likely to get cut off if you haven't hit some keys for a few minutes. This is especially true if you live in a rural area.
Old November 15, 2006, 12:04 PM   #10
MD_Willington

Even some broadband connections will do this, some DSL subscribers are dropped if they leave the connection on but do nothing. There are applications that will send a PING to the server every so often to maintain the connection.
Old November 19, 2006, 02:54 PM   #11
Harry Bonar

no time

Dear Sirs:
It's not my internet server that cuts me off; it's the Forum that cuts me off from log in!
Harry B.
Old November 19, 2006, 04:13 PM   #12
cpaspr

Been there, had

that done to me too. But it's not necessarily the Forum doing it Harry. It might be your computer and it's memory allocation.

There have been times I logged in, responded to a thread, went back to the main page without hitting the back button (and unintentionally returning to a logged out state), then found another thread to respond to and I had to log back in.

El Barto has it right. When you log in, check the box for "Remember Me". That will set a cookie on your computer and keep you from being automatically logged out. You can manually log out when you are done. Or don't, and the next time you come to TFL, you'll be automatically logged in, unless you delete your cookies in the meantime.