The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 26, 2010, 08:49 PM   #1
GASCHECK

Browning A5 Question

Smithys:

I have an OLD A5 made in 1928. To load the magazine and depress the shell lifter, you have to first depress the bolt release button on the right side. On later models, I THINK having to press the button was eliminated. They hinged the lifter or something. Is there a part I can get and swap out and get this convenience with my gun?
Thanks. Gascheck
Old July 27, 2010, 01:03 PM   #2
Scorch

Older A5s have a one-piece lifter, those made after about 1965 have a 2-piece lifter. The older one-piece lifter guns are difficult to retrofit. It is not a home gunsmithing job for the average shooter. Enjoy your A5 as it is.
Old July 27, 2010, 01:17 PM   #3
rbernie

Quote:
those made after about 1965 have a 2-piece lifter. The older one-piece lifter guns are difficult to retrofit. It is not a home gunsmithing job for the average shooter.
This.

The cutover from one piece to two piece (aka 'Fast Load' system) occured in the mid fifties; I have a 1954 that does not have it and two 1955/1956 guns that do. There is more to the conversion that just swapping out the visible lifter, and while it's not rocket surgery it's also not something that you can do without knowing how the system works. Last I looked, replacement bits to do the swap ran well over $120.
Old July 27, 2010, 08:30 PM   #4
GASCHECK

Thank you gentlemen;

I have had the A5 apart several times for a thorough cleaning. However, I thought maybe it was just a drop-in of a different lifter. Not worth it for me.
Leave it as is . . .good advice and taken!

Funny how even the big shot gun writers don't even understand A5 functioning. They say the fired shell is pulled from the chamber when actually the barrel moves forward off the shell which is still held on to the retracted bolt by the extractor and then kicked out by the ejector on the barrel extension.

Certainly a grand old gun.

GASCHECK
Old July 27, 2010, 09:42 PM   #5
ZeroJunk

I don't see it as a big deal anyway. With the newer versions you can put a shell in the magazine with the bolt back and it will put it in the chamber for you. Pretty cool. But, you can just as easily drop the shell in front of the bolt and push the button.
Old July 27, 2010, 11:29 PM   #6
GASCHECK

Again if I remember right you can load the magazine and then engage the magazine cut off. Pull the bolt back and lock it.
When you release the cut off. the shell zips out of the magazine is lifted and chambered in one blurring motion.

Gascheck