The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 18, 2016, 05:26 PM   #1
Rangerrich99

Anyone using RMR .224 cal Bullets?

So, I've settled on a bullet for varmint hunting (60 gr. Nosler BT Varmint), and I've been using Hornady's 50 gr. spire points for general plinking. However, I'm considering trying a similar 60 gr. bullet for plinking/general use (as opposed to the Hornady's), as the POI for the 50 grainers is several inches higher at a given distance, requiring me to re-zero my scope/red dot, which is a little inconvenient. The other reason I'm interested in these bullets is that they are $10-$15 cheaper than the Noslers for every 250 rds. Which would be a significant savings for me over the course of the year. They're even cheaper than the 50 grain Hornady's.

Anyway, I was hoping someone here had some experience with these bullets from RMR and could give me a review on their quality.

Link: http://rmrbullets.com/shop/bullets-f...oft-point-new/
Thanks in advance for your replies.

Last edited by Rangerrich99; June 18, 2016 at 06:16 PM.
Old June 19, 2016, 08:33 AM   #2
Longshot4

So what cartrage,
What rifle
Why are you using Noslers
What don't you like about Hornady's
Why are you using more than one bullet style if you don't want to adjust sights?

Why not use one bullet to do it all?

You need to give us more to work with.

Last edited by Longshot4; June 19, 2016 at 08:40 AM.
Old June 19, 2016, 02:33 PM   #3
Rangerrich99

Quote:
So what cartrage,
What rifle
Why are you using Noslers
What don't you like about Hornady's
Why are you using more than one bullet style if you don't want to adjust sights?

Why not use one bullet to do it all?
Sorry, I was multi-tasking when I wrote the OP. Forgot to include the details.

.223 rem

AR-15 w/ 16 inch barrel 1-8 twist

To date, the Noslers have given me the most accuracy and consistency for prairie dog hunting.

I don't dislike the Hornady 50 grainers, but after several experiments adjusting powders and charges, I just haven't found them to be accurate/consistent enough for p-dog hunting beyond 200 yards. Especially when the wind exceeds 15 knts.

I'm hoping these bullets will at least give me a less expensive option for general use and close to the same POI as the Noslers. I'm not expecting exactly the same accuracy, consistency or POI, just something with similar ballistics, so I don't have to re-zero my scope when I'm not shooting the Noslers.

Maybe I should've mentioned that I'm still relatively new to reloading (only been at it for 18 months). Until recently I've been experimenting with several different bullets/powders, trying to find the most accurate loads I possibly can. The Noslers have been the most accurate and consistent of the brands/styles I've been tinkering with so far. But they are expensive, a little too expensive for me to waste frivolously. Also, I recently have found it more difficult to find the Noslers, so these bullets might make a reasonable substitute until the Noslers become easier to find.

Anyway, I saw these bullets for less than half the cost, but the same weight and thought they might make good general use/plinker bullets. And if they turn out to be really accurate, maybe even eventually a permanent substitute for the Noslers.
Old June 19, 2016, 03:25 PM   #4
Longshot4

Have you tried Hornady 60gr., 70gr., 75gr. or 80gr. bullets? not much cheaper than Noslers but if they shoot well with your twist you will be able to buck the wind... I shoot the Rem. 222 that is not as flexible in twist as the .223 but performances with 50gr. bullets are often similar. My go to bullet is Hornady SX SP. The SX stands for super explosive. It can bee hard to find at times but it is still out there and a lot cheaper than the rest. The Hornady V-Max are comparable to the Noslers but a little cheaper.

I'm surprised you aren't getting more info on your thread.
Old June 20, 2016, 04:47 AM   #5
TMD

At $135 per 1000 for plinkers there are lots cheaper options.

Here's some Nosler 60gn for $132 per k
https://www.wideners.com/reloading-s...n-ball-tip-250

And some cheap plinkers:
https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog.../productId/254
Old June 21, 2016, 02:10 PM   #6
skinnedknuckles

My limited experience with RMR 55 gr FMJBT bullets has not be stellar in the accuracy department. I'm still working on the problem but I don't think it will get much better. I've had somewhat better results with the bulk Hornady 55 gr soft point bullets. My Winchester Model 70 has a 1:12 twist so I don't use anything heavier, thus I have no experience with the RMR 62 gr Premium Boat Tail Bonded Soft Points.
Old June 21, 2016, 07:18 PM   #7
Rangerrich99

@skinnedknuckles;

Thanks, that's the info I was looking for.

@TMD;

Thx, I'll have to look at those Noslers.

@Longshot4;

The principle reason I haven't tried the Hornady 60 grainers is that they cost about the same, so no real reason to.