The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 26, 2015, 09:56 AM   #1
Machineguntony

Tendonitis from engaging in the shooting sports

Has anyone ever suffered tendinitis of the forearm or elbow from shooting too much? It's like tennis elbow, and goes through the forearm.

I engage in lots of weightlifting and shooting. By my estimate, I shot maybe 100,000+ rounds every year, for the last two years. I have memberships to three ranges, with one range open late, so I can shoot after work; so, I shoot 3-4 times a week. I've never shot this much prior to the last two years because I was either really poor (college) or really busy (building business).

I sometimes will get tendinitis from weightlifting, but never as bad as I have it now. I don't think this tendinitis is from weightlifting because the pain isn't triggered by gripping a barbell or dumbell, rather it is triggered by lifting a rifle or pistol and pulling the trigger.

Anyone else experience tennis elbow, tendinitis, or repetitive stress symptoms from shooting too much? Shooting yourself in the forearm or elbow from a ND doesn't count, btw.
Old April 26, 2015, 10:41 AM   #2
Nathan

Yea. It is typically caused by multiple stressors and overdoing it. I loaded mags all day for a friend and shot a bunch too.

I got it pretty bad. Got a cortisone or similar shot and got back into things slowly.

All I can say is I use mag loaders and will stop when it feels bad.
Old April 26, 2015, 11:12 AM   #3
cjwils

See a physical therapist about exercises for your specific problem. You might need to revise your weight training program.
Old April 26, 2015, 01:26 PM   #4
g.willikers

Sorry about your pain.
While grasping a weight may not cause the injury, it can be aggravated and even caused by lifting incorrectly, especially getting into or out of position to do the actual exercise.
A lot of shooting, especially handguns can contribute, too.
As cjwils said, therapy and revised exercising can help, and avoid surgery.
Maybe lay off of both the weight lifting and the shooting for awhile.
Old April 26, 2015, 01:57 PM   #5
Double Naught Spy

I got De Quervains tenosynovitis from mag loading. It flares up every now and then and is extremely painful. I call it mag loader's thumb, but it goes by other names over the centuries including washer woman's thumb, telegrapher's thumb, and more recently, Blackberry Thumb.
Old April 26, 2015, 03:06 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Several years ago, a friend of mine spent a summer shooting "a couple thousand" rounds of .357 Magnum through snub nose revolvers (J frames, etc). He developed nerve damage in his hands, wrists and forearms.

Nearly ended his pistol shooting. For quite some time he could shoot nothing bigger than a .22. TOday, several years later, he can manage about a box of 9mm before he has to quit, and bigger rounds like the .45 are tough, a couple mags, maybe. And Magnums are still out of the question. so sad...

Word to the wise, DON"T OVERDO IT!
Old April 26, 2015, 10:08 PM   #7
NoSecondBest

Both of my elbows are shot. My left is the worst. I shot as much as you did and did it for around ten years. I have permanent damage to both elbows. I've seen orthopedic surgeons and been to PT many times. It's at a point where I can barely shoot my bow...but I can still shoot it enough to hunt. Just can't shoot for sporting purposes anymore. The shotgun did most of the damage.
Old April 26, 2015, 10:15 PM   #8
rickyrick

I did just by the way I'd hold my rifle when coyote and pig hunting.

I thought I was in a neutral position but apparently wasn't. Got quite painful actually.

Sometimes I was keeping my left arm in position for a long time (sometimes dozing off under the stars I miss those times)

I just learned to move my arms around more often
Old April 26, 2015, 11:04 PM   #9
Machineguntony

Wow. All this sounds very discouraging.

Another factor that I just thought of is the Glock 43 that I just got. I wonder if it played any part in this injury. That thing was really snappy and the pain started right after I started shooting it. It could be a coincidence, though. It could be the large volume of shooting and the snappy gun.

I'm going to switch to shooting right handed and see if that helps. I enjoy the shooting sports way too much to take a hiatus.
Old April 27, 2015, 07:23 AM   #10
g.willikers

If you are going to continue to shoot anyway, you could try different techniques that are easier on the affected body parts.
Look into the Reverse Weaver style for two handed handgun shooting.
It's easier on sore elbows, forearms and wrists than the conventional methods.
And, of course, use lighter recoiling guns.
Old April 27, 2015, 07:52 AM   #11
JERRYS.

the fact that you can afford to shoot 100,000 rounds per year (even cheap reloads) means you can afford better medical advice than this message board can give.
Old April 27, 2015, 07:56 AM   #12
NoSecondBest

JERRYS just said it all
Old April 27, 2015, 08:02 AM   #13
Hunter Customs

Yes, I have back in the days of practicing for and shooting the big pin matches.

I was shooting 50,000 rounds a year of 45 loads making at least a 210 power factor, the loads I was using would equal a +P+ load.

Evidently I was not the only one, when I looked up and down the line there was a lot of shooters with some type of support wrapped around their upper forearms.

When the big pin matches died out and I concentrated on shooting steel and USPSA I was shooting lighter loads then the +P+ 45s and not near as many rounds a year, the pain went away.
Old April 27, 2015, 08:07 AM   #14
Machineguntony

Jerry, who said I was asking for medical advice? It's not ok to ask your fellow shooters about their experiences?
Old April 27, 2015, 08:19 AM   #15
JERRYS.

^^^ sure it is. I meant no harm, was just making a joke... apparently not a good one, even with the smilies.
Old April 27, 2015, 08:22 AM   #16
MrBorland

ok, I gotta ask - what shooting sport(s) are you formally competing in that you shoot 100k rounds per year? With that volume, you ought to be hanging with the top dogs and be a contender for a national title. If you're not, I think you could safely back down the volume to 25k/yr, increase the quality of your training sessions, and let your tendons recover some.
Old April 27, 2015, 12:03 PM   #17
rickyrick

Who has $50,000 dollars a year for ammo?
Old April 27, 2015, 02:18 PM   #18
GEARHEAD_ENG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrick View Post
Who has $50,000 dollars a year for ammo?
Mitary and police departments

Really, 100,000 rounds wouldn't be that much money if your talking cast bullets. 9mm cast rounds are in the $.06 range with lead wheel weights and cheap range brass.
Old April 27, 2015, 02:27 PM   #19
rickyrick

Still $6,000$ at .06 a bullet
Old April 27, 2015, 03:26 PM   #20
Magnum-

I've shot 44 magnum reload rounds for the last 45+ years.... 1200 too 1300 ft. per. sec. loads . I use to run through as high as 600 rounds in day , on a Saturday or a Sunday once a week at the range ..... now 66 yrs. old , I will run through 150 too 200 rounds 240 gr. loads , once a week , in between my rifle shooting ... 44 magnum & 45/70 lever action rifles..... loads about 1600 to 2000 ft. per. sec. Two 50 round boxes of 45/70 loads 325 gr. bullets . Part of the 150 too 200" , 44 mag. loads are run through my 44 rifle . The rest in my Vaquero pistol .

I also run through cupla 100 round boxes" , of 45 ACP 900 ft. per. sec. 230 gr. loads on the same day (1911) pistol.... back and forth , between the pistol , and rifle range , all done once a week with a day long trip to my range.... about 8 hours total , sometimes 10 hours if I shoot 100 too 150 rounds of skeet" , 1200 ft. per. sec. #7&1/2 Loads on the same day with my friends at the range .

Never in my life has any of that , ever gave me tendonitis in my hands , Or ever harmed my right shoulder .... Hot weather bothers me more than anything else when I'm out .

Prepping and reloading my cases , ware's my fingers out , from time to time , but never had any other issues on my body shooting my guns . Tromping around in the woods all day long has never much bothered me either , until this last year"... my legs get tired tromping the woods now in about a 1/2 day , now days ..... It's hell to get old , it'll slow ya down a little
Old April 27, 2015, 04:14 PM   #21
dyl

You may not want to hear this but I also agree with focusing on quality rather than quantity , and if excellent technique is a goal then using a lighter caliber so you still have similar mechanics up until the recoil impulse. Joint injury and inflammation does not come and go for free. Scar tissue is deposited, joints enlarge but weaken. All adults have some degree if arthritis already but when it starts hurting the focus is how well we can put up with the pain. Young athletes who have had joint trauma may start having arthritis early on.
Old April 27, 2015, 04:32 PM   #22
4V50 Gary
Staff

Gunwriter Mel Tappan was among the first to publicly admit the adverse impact of shooting magnums on a regular basis.
Old April 27, 2015, 04:53 PM   #23
Skans

I had a nasty case of tendonitis in my wrist from shooting. It was due to the combination of the recoil and heavy trigger of an AMT 45 Backup. I put about 200 rounds through that gun in one day and that's a lot for this little gun. It took me a few weeks to recover.
Old April 27, 2015, 06:35 PM   #24
Mike Irwin
Staff

Yes. Hurts. Aleve.
Old April 27, 2015, 08:26 PM   #25
Jim Watson

I once got tendonitis from long sessions at the reloading press.
I now use progressive loaders to produce a day's worth of ammo in a few minutes instead of trying to produce case lots.

Nowadays, age 70, I get some effect from shooting. A 12 stage sanctioned IDPA match will leave my hands somewhat achy. A 6 stage club match little if any.