The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 6, 2000, 11:53 AM   #1
Andy socal

What is a reasonable price for a set of dies for Savage 22High-Power? The round is almost obsolete, and need to consider my options before it's too late.

Thanks,
Andrew

------------------
"No democratic government can long be much better or much worse than the people it represents." Henry Adams
Old August 6, 2000, 03:24 PM   #2
Chris McDermott

Your worry is never dies, it's brass. I don't know if the 22 Savage hi-Power is the same case head as the 250-3000 & 300 Savage etc; if it is then you will be able to re-form brass even if the head stamp won't match the actual caliber.
RCBS, Redding, CH4D and others will custom make dies for new wildcats that people come up with; and I don't think any die maker ever throws away a reamer.
Natches 2000 catalog lists Savage 22 Hi-Power RCBS = $44; the latest Midway catalog lists Redding = $50, RCBS = $45. Midway's prices include shipping.
Old August 6, 2000, 07:38 PM   #3
JimWolford

Andy:

Used die sets for obsolete cartriges such as your 22 Sav. can be found at times at large gun shows for quite reasonable prices ( 20-25 dollars)

You really should be looking into getting brass while it is still available. Norma sells new empty brass as the cartrige is still used quite a bit in Europe.

Norma brass is expensive, but the alternative is to get a set of re-forming dies from RCBS ( for over $100 ) and make them out of 30-30 brass. I have done this and it is a major PITA

Jim

------------------
Lay up some blackpowder and flints
The rest we can build, if need be
Old August 6, 2000, 11:40 PM   #4
Paul B.

Andy. The .22 Savage High Power is made from 25-35 brass. It can be made from 30-30 as well, but when Charles Newton designed the round, he used the 25-35. I'm sure you realize that the bullet size is .228 and not the standard .224.
As far as being a PITA, what is pain to one, is joy to another. If you want to shoot it bad enough, you put up with the aggravation. Some people won't cast a bullet, or go through the processes necessary to make them shoot accurately. I find it a pleasure and a great form of relaxation. I guess it is to each, his own.
Paul B.
Old August 7, 2000, 12:58 AM   #5
Andy socal

Thanks for the replies. I have found someone who has the dies for sale, that is why I was asking. As for the brass, I have seen what Midway is offering for the Norma brass in lots of 20($21.99) and 100($84.99).

I guess what I should do is read up more on relaoding before I do anything rash, eh?

Any good beginner books y'all can recommend?
Perhaps there is one called "Reloading for Dummies"? <BG>

------------------
"No democratic government can long be much better or much worse than the people it represents." Henry Adams
Old August 7, 2000, 01:07 AM   #6
Chris McDermott

Andy, you got me curious, so I did some web searching.
http://www.huntingtons.com

Is the site you need, 22 HP Savage Norma brass and DKT .228 bullets are both available; not inexpensize but available. Huntinton's also lists Winchester 25-35 brass.

Lymon's third edition of their Cast Bullet handbook even lists loads - cast bullets only not the jacketed DKT bullets. Look at gun shows for old manuals that would still list this round. Beware that some powders aren't available anymore, and with the purchase of the Dupont & Hercules powder companies some of the still available powders have changed slightly in burning rate.
Old August 9, 2000, 12:33 AM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'm pretty certain that Hornady still makes the proper bullet for the .22 Savage.

------------------
Beware the man with the S&W .357 Mag.
Chances are he knows how to use it.