The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 25, 2005, 10:35 PM   #1
fanoblack

Questions about Rock Chucker I got.

First off I got this at a gunshow and it is well used. The primer arm came in its own box and now that I'm trying to put the primer arm on it doesn't seem to fit, nor does it fit in the slot on the ram either.

Here is are some pictures of the press and primer arm.

According to the RCBS parts book the primer arm looks a lot different.

Having found this, I thought I would ask before I go and buy a new primer arm for this. Does anyone recognize what press that arm goes to? Mine?

Thanks in advance.

fanoblack

I know eight languages, unfortunately only one is spoken by humans.
Old October 26, 2005, 12:16 AM   #2
Mal H
Staff

To be honest, I don't see the missing primer arm as a problem. Priming with a Rockchucker is a less-than-ideal method of priming a case. I removed mine about a decade ago and never looked back. I use an RCBS hand priming tool when priming for the RC.
Old October 26, 2005, 07:38 AM   #3
m0ntels

I got mine with only the small primer cup. Tried it once or twice and I'll agree it is a pain and I dont like the pressure to seat it, plus mine never seemed to wanna line up very easily. All mine ever really did was catch my hand when I went to grab the brass, so I put it in a drawer. A hand prime is a very nice thing.

Randy
Old October 26, 2005, 08:38 AM   #4
Jim Watson

I don't know what it is, but that is not an RCBS primer arm. Common fault of buying second hand, stuff gets lost or swapped around. Ebay is real bad on that.

You are not out much, priming on the press is a real drag. Get a Lee hand priming tool, or if you just want to do it on the press, get one of the Ram Prime tools that puts a shellholder and primer tray on top of the frame and a punch and cup on the ram.
Old October 26, 2005, 08:45 AM   #5
JoeHatley

Jim is correct. That's not the correct primer arm. IIRC... the universal primer arm is available from RCBS or www.midwayusa.com for around $12.

Joe
Old October 26, 2005, 03:10 PM   #6
MADISON

Rock Chucker primiing arm

I have a 35 year old Rock Chucker that looks like "yours".
When I got into reloading I started with RCBS and Lyman presses. I coooould not get either of the priming systems to work. I Settled on RCBS's [90460] Bench Mounted Priming. Find a dealer that sells RCBS and buy a new priming arm.
Old October 26, 2005, 03:11 PM   #7
fanoblack

Thanks for the replies guys. It sounds like I didn't really need it anyway. I'll look into the RBCS hand primer since the shell holders are interchange with the presses. Thanks again.

fanoblack

I know eight languages, unfortunately only one is spoken by humans.
Old October 26, 2005, 03:57 PM   #8
20cows

Is that a Rock Chucker? It looks alot like my RCBS Jr II. It predates the Rock Chucker and may use different parts. (I haven't seen a RC in 20 years, so I may be mistaken).
Old October 26, 2005, 04:50 PM   #9
Rico567

I had an RCBS Jr press a number of years ago, too, and I don't think it's got the two compound leverage links on each side. This looks like the RC arrangement to me. I also think the primer arm is no loss at all; just get somebody's hand priming tool (I have the RCBS, and it works with the regular press shellholders- although they do emphasize that you should use RCBS shellholders).

- Mark Twain
Old October 26, 2005, 05:16 PM   #10
WIL TERRY

I Do Believe That Is The Primer Arm For An Rcbs A2 Press.

Matter of fact I would bet on it!!!
Any parts for an A2 are worth a buck on the used parts market.
Old October 26, 2005, 05:47 PM   #11
Jeeper

Like everyone else said, Get a hand primer.