The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 2, 2016, 07:31 AM   #26
g.willikers

My smarter half has the right idea.
If someone shows up at the range with the kind of gear popular for pray and spray, she retreats to the car until they show their true colors.
If they're acting like kids in a video game, she stays in the car and reads her book until they run out of ammo and leave.
Sometimes she even drives to a farther parking place.
Old July 2, 2016, 07:49 AM   #27
B.L.E.

Most of the public ranges I go to will quickly show the spray and pray crowd the door.
Old July 2, 2016, 11:04 AM   #28
SpareMag

Nuthin' new to add save for my own way of having fun.

I will usually end my shooting session with a rapid-fire blast, instinct shooting (not aiming) just to see:

1: where I am placing lead at rapid-fire unaimed firing, in the event I need to do so at some point

2: see how the weapon performs under stress, and

3: for the simple fun of mindlessly blowing out a lot of ammo

But this is usually limited to 5-8 rounds, it isnt something I spend a full range seszion doing.

Anyway, ammo mfgs have families too that need to be fed....
Old July 2, 2016, 12:01 PM   #29
P5 Guy

There is no blasting at the Wyoming Antelope Club. It wasn't until a few years ago magazine fed rifles could load more than three rounds. That was only members, guest had to single load. Handguns were not restricted, but still no rapid firing.
Old July 2, 2016, 12:48 PM   #30
Damon555

I can't blast like that.....All I see when someone else does it is nickles, dimes, quarters, and dollar bills hitting the ground instead of empty brass.
Old July 2, 2016, 01:22 PM   #31
briandg

You know, when I was a kid and federal wad cutters cost twelve to fifteen a box, all I could think of was all the hours of c.Pac man that range session cost me.

For that matter, that box cost me almost two hours of wages, or whole tank of gas..
Old July 2, 2016, 06:16 PM   #32
Don P

Quote:
I go to the range once a week (sometimes more, never less) and I generally shoot between 250 and 300 rounds each time. 200 of 22lr to stay sharp but save on ammo costs, and 50 to 100 of wherever other gun I am shooting that day
Start to reload and you then can shoot 9mm for the price of 22lr.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old July 2, 2016, 07:35 PM   #33
Radny97

But reloading takes time, and unfortunately I have less time than money. I'll reload when the kids are grown.
Old July 2, 2016, 07:50 PM   #34
B.L.E.

Quote:
Start to reload and you then can shoot 9mm for the price of 22lr.
Only if you cast your own bullets along with reloading. Most of the online bullet suppliers I have searched want about $50/500 bullets give or take a few bucks and various shipping charges.
Old July 3, 2016, 05:28 AM   #35
drobs

I'm so happy I have my own shooting range...
Here is another reason I can't stand public ranges. There's always some cantankerous curmudgeon taking up range space, firing 1 round per hour, from a rifle seemingly permanently mounted to a lead sled, while criticizing everyone around him.

I get it, you're on a fixed income and need to get out of the house from the little old lady who's driving you nuts in your retirement years... Have you considered taking up Golf?

Some of us, that work a living, like shooting different styles and speeds. We buy ammo in bulk or reload in bulk to allow us to shoot more than 1 box of ammo per day.

As they say, everyone has an opinion, most of them stink...
Old July 3, 2016, 12:29 PM   #36
K_Mac

Quote:
I am happy for that as well. Maybe in addition to shooting you could take up counseling or something similar. With your people skills you would be a natural.
Old July 4, 2016, 06:50 PM   #37
mj246

Lately, I usually go through about 20-25 rounds with my center fire revolvers per trip, and about 40-50 rounds of 22lr.

I would say about 40-100 rds for my semi-auto rifles.

I burned exactly one 30rd mag from my AR15 when I first took it out earlier this year. Now I take my time to make my shots count and typically only load 10-20 rounds at a time depending on what sort of practice I'm doing. I find that firing 10 rounds of 223 rapid fire will show me my general rapid-fire accuracy and precision just as well as having a 30 rd set fired at the same pace. The only difference is I burn more time loading so that I burn less ammo=$$.

When I was reloading, these numbers were a bit higher though. I think it's time to start that up again.
Old July 6, 2016, 08:06 AM   #38
kenny53

I have been known to do an ammo dump, usually a mag of 22 and it is when I am out in the desert with no body else around. When I am at the indoor range in town I am trying to make sure I can do better then second place in a gun fight, so it is serious practice.
Old July 6, 2016, 03:53 PM   #39
Model12Win

Quote:
Here is another reason I can't stand public ranges. There's always some cantankerous curmudgeon taking up range space, firing 1 round per hour, from a rifle seemingly permanently mounted to a lead sled, while criticizing everyone around him.

I get it, you're on a fixed income and need to get out of the house from the little old lady who's driving you nuts in your retirement years... Have you considered taking up Golf?

Some of us, that work a living, like shooting different styles and speeds. We buy ammo in bulk or reload in bulk to allow us to shoot more than 1 box of ammo per day.

As they say, everyone has an opinion, most of them stink...
You got that right. I'll tell you one thing, those "cantankerous curmudgeons" might not be wasting as much ammo as you, but they sure as hell are putting each one in the black.
Old July 6, 2016, 05:01 PM   #40
drobs

1 shot per hour from the lead sled...
Old July 6, 2016, 06:09 PM   #41
hornetguy

Quote:
You got that right. I'll tell you one thing, those "cantankerous curmudgeons" might not be wasting as much ammo as you, but they sure as hell are putting each one in the black.
I would certainly hope so...

I'm guilty of both "styles" of shooting.

Sometimes I shoot slow, 100yd targets with the AR, or one of the other rifles.

Other times, I shoot the handguns, usually deliberate fire, about a shot every second or so...

I seldom do a magazine dump, as I can't hit very consistently that way. If I do that, it is to see how "controllable" my handgun would be if I felt the need to respond to a threat that way.

I would like to think that I would respond to a threat with deliberate, aimed fire, but, not having been in that scenario, I can't say I would, for sure.
Old July 6, 2016, 10:09 PM   #42
B.L.E.

Ten shots in a 30 minute relay, however, if a flint gets dull and needs to be changed, or I accidentally forget the powder before ramming the ball down the barrel, I'm really glad we are allowed two consecutive relays to finish the match.

Old July 7, 2016, 08:19 AM   #43
old bear

Doing nothing but a "mag-dump" has become all to frequent these days. The attitude appears to be, how quickly can I put rounds down range? Not how can I improve my basic shooting skills?

Do to several serous life's changes, I've not shot in almost a year now. Yet when I did shoot on a regular basis, my normal ammo usage was between 100 - 125 rounds per range session, and my range time was between 60 - 90 minutes. I found this was time and ammo to keep me shooting to a decent level but not so much that it became work.
Old July 8, 2016, 07:50 AM   #44
std7mag

For one I can't afford the money dropped by these guys, just on the rifle alone, much less the ammo cost. Marriage, house, kids....

I usually shoot 20-50 rounds of 7mm-08AI at a 300 yard target.
Less with the Rem Mag.

With my pistols, usually less than 100 rounds. Most of that practicing drawing from concealed, and getting good first round hit. Usually it's only 1 round at a time, practicing drawing, sometimes I do 2-3 rounds from a draw.
This is done standing, walking, sitting, kneeling, and even laying down at different angles.

Aside from a match that I watched here locally, I'm still waiting to see an AR shoot further than 25 yards...
Old July 9, 2016, 04:46 AM   #45
pathdoc

In the days before I put a scope rail on my Lee-Enfield, I occasionally did a mag dump with that to see how fast I could put the rounds downrange (cyclic rate is very close to 60/minute). Am crossing my fingers that I get (a) a moose licence this year and (b) manage to shoot a moose, after which I will have the scope rail taken OFF, get my stripper clips out, and see how many I can fire in a minute. Then I will examine the targets while munching on mooseburgers.

The .303 aside, none of my longarms (.223 Savage Axis II; Savage M42 combination gun, Mossberg Maverick O/U) are exactly conducive to rapid expenditure of large volumes of ammunition. Recently, however, I took up pistol shooting, which put me in possession of my first self loading firearm of any kind. Local laws (Canada, please note) mean a mag dump here is ten, but that's probably more than enough for me to be shooting off in a single string.

As for "blasting ammo" - as long as the cases are reusable and I am allowed to scavenge them, I couldn't care less, just so long as the people using it aren't ar**h*les about it and don't end up hurting anyone. (Slightly off topic, scavenge rules at my range are "take what you want from the brass bucket, but only if you reload that calibre", which IMO is fair enough.)
Old July 9, 2016, 07:33 AM   #46
Nathan

I get what you are saying. Pure mag dumps are the worst!

But, when I'm practicing for IDPA or sd, I'll have 2-5 paper plates out and I will be drawing, shooting fast and frankly keeping all my rounds on a paper plate.

To me, that is the key point. Speed with control is great. Speed with loss of bullet control needs reigned in. At least, it damages equipment ....but it can cause bullets to escape the backstop.

I also train to manipulate my gun at speed, but due so with barrel direction control.

I have seen the spray and pray posers....they most likely need a helping hand. Guns can be dangerous. Go slow, learn how to manipulate and shoot safe, then build speed. I build speed mostly through 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and then full speed manipulation.
Old July 10, 2016, 11:04 AM   #47
B.L.E.

Quote:
Aside from a match that I watched here locally, I'm still waiting to see an AR shoot further than 25 yards...
And aside from the matches I go to, I'm still waiting to see a pistol shoot farther than 5 yards.
But go dove hunting with a bunch of people and you will routinely see 60 to 100 yard shots attempted with a shotgun, no wonder the "average" dove hunter only kills around 5 birds with a box of 25 shells.
Old July 10, 2016, 05:00 PM   #48
Boncrayon

Blasting ammo...

There is a cost to this madness. Why go to the range and shoot 1000 rounds plus pistol rounds if is is nothing more than for male excitement? I'm one to shoot maybe 50 rounds, correcting my scope or rear sight until I have practiced my NRA basic rules of accuracy in my intent. Zombies don't come around very often (I'll save my political jargon here), but huge downrange blast loads are immaterial for accuracy after the game. Men like the "Big Bang" sound. Some can even afford the costs of mega-ammo just for their Big Bang.
Old July 11, 2016, 03:55 PM   #49
Sevens

Sounds like a bunch of people whining when someone else does something differently than they do. Reminds me of a George Carlin bit where he's talking about other drivers on the highway-- if they aren't going just about exactly your speed, they must either be reckless maniacs or clueless, dangerous idiots.

I had a range day yesterday. 623 rounds of center fire across 9mm, .38, .40cal and .45, across 7 handguns, one of which was my EDC. 135 more rounds of rimfire through a 1951 H&R Sportsman top-break. My range session was four hours, cut short due to heat, sunshine and lack of breeze.

Judge my numbers or judge my words, have it at, the same way you've been judging everyone you actually see when you go to the range.
Old July 11, 2016, 08:24 PM   #50
Eazyeach

Been hot in the buckeye state lately. Where do you shoot in central Ohio, Sevens? I live in SW Ohio and there are a couple decent ranges around here but nothing special. And the only thing keeping me from shooting 1000 rounds per session is time and money. If I go to the range I'm shooting more than a 50 rd box for sure.